Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2006, 06:21 PM

3 posts, read 24,363 times

Advertisements

Hi, all.

I have a question for you. I'm from southern IN and we are going to be traveling to Marion for my husband's IWU graduation in December; we'll be staying at a hotel in Kokomo. I was wondering if anyone in that area had a restaurant to recommend? Our favorite ethnic food is Chinese, but we're open to trying other types of establishments, too, be it Mexican, Indian, Greek, a locally owned Mom-N-Pop's place, or maybe a little Irish Pub that you love!

We'll be there a couple of days, so we can definitely try out more than one place, and I know his MBA class is wanting to get together after the ceremony, so maybe hints on a night spot would be good, too.

Thanks in advance for anything that you can suggest. I've found that the best places to eat can be found through the recommendations of those who have actually eaten there instead of what's in the yellow pages.

Judy
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2006, 09:33 AM

2 posts, read 16,134 times
Restaurant's in Marion that I like:

The best Chinese food is at The Hong Kong restaurant by the river. They don't have a buffet and it's more expensive than the Chinese buffets here, but it is good! It is at 949 N. Washington St., 662-2127. The Chinese buffet (Main Moon) is located at 935 N. Baldwin Ave. (the Bypass) close to the mall.

The very very best pizza I have ever had in my entire life is located in the 1000 block of N. Washington St. They are a new family owned establishment called: Brooks' Upper Crust Pizza. I think they are closed on Sundays and Mondays, but it is superb!!!! I know that on their small pizzas alone they put over 3 lbs. of cheese! Check it out and no other pizza you eat again will compare!

Acutally located between these 2 restaurants is the Mill Restaurant, 1001 N. Washington St., 664-4637. It's supposed to be a fancy place. I've never eaten there, so I can't tell you about that, just thought you might want to know.

Our favorite sit down, casual dining restaurant is The Icehouse, 1412 W. Kem Rd, 664-6646. If you go on a Fiday night (I think it's Friday, may be Saturday) they have all you can eat (like who can eat more than 1 LOL) Prime Rib! Absolutely fantastic! So tender and juicy! The Au Jus sauce is to die for! Try the Loaded Fries or (my personal fave) a bowl of Onion Soup for an appetizer! Also, If I'm in a fruity mood I order what's called a Fruit Cocktail to drink - it's got all the fruit Puckers in it and it's not too sweet. They have a really good Reisling wine there too. Also, they make the best, and cheapest, Martinis too! Oh, and their salads are great - but they give you a ton!

For Greek food (like Gyros) try Trejos Gyros. They have had a place in Gas City (the little town that's just a few minutes away from Marion) for a while, but just recently opened a place up in Marion, at 506 N. Balwin Ave. (the Bypass). I've personally only had the Gyros Dinner, but the kids have ordered hamburgers from there (and my picky eater ate it all) and also the spaghetti (which she said was good). If I get the Gyros Dinner, I always order more sauce (to dip my fries in) and more Feta Cheese (can't get enough).

We have 2 Mexican Restaurants here: Mi Pueblo (406 E. 4th St. - near downtown, 662-9158) and La Charreada (1104 N. Baldwin Ave., 651-0652). My boyfriend and I are undecided which is best. I love the salsa at La Charreada. I love the chips and the guacamole from Mi Pueblo. Both have beer only. Food wise, the Arroz con Polo and the refried beans are best at Mi Pueblo. The Fajitas are better at La Charreada. Sorry, not much help there! I guess mainly for lunch we go to Mi Pueblo and for dinner we go to La Charreada.

Now, I will tell you about Carol's Cafe. It is not in the phone book - but is located on Home Ave (go down 30th St. east until you get to Home Ave. Turn left and Carol's is about 4 or 5 blocks on the left). Now, it's not a pretty place, kinda run down, but they have wonderful food. I live in "South Marion" which is kinda the poor part of Marion, and where Carol's is located, but you won't find better breakfast or lunch or more friendlier people. We always get the Trucker's Special for breafast (I substitute grits for the pancakes). You get so much food you can't eat it, and for a low price. For lunch, if you want a hamburger and fries, it's great! The hamburger has the best flavor (and juicy!), just on it's own - no ketchup, mayo or mustard needed! Carol buys her meat from the Meat Market in Montpelier, Indiana. My favorite is the Mushroom and Swiss burger. My boyfriend gets the Patty Melt or Bacon Cheeseburger. Carol's also has daily specials.

Many people in Marion swear by J & L Breakfast and Steak House (601 W. 38th St. (just off they Bypass) for breakfast, but we really prefer Carol's.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:35 AM

2 posts, read 16,134 times
Continued (It wouldn't let me post it all in one LOL)

Okay, we have two "Irish" pubs. Folkies (117 S. Branson St., 668-8240) and Malone's (515 N. Washington St., 664-3404). Folkies is great and we've usually gone their in the past (If you're in town on a Wednesday night, call them and see if they have the "Crab Races" - it's the most fun you can have on a Wed. night for a dollar. Get there about 7:15 to "buy" your painted hermit crab for $1. Racing starts at 8:00 and is usually over by 9:30. Sit at the round racing table they will set up. It's kinda raucous, but it's a blast!). They have the best St. Patty's day food and celebrations. Malone's I haven't been to in a while. The food started not being that good and the atmosphere got less and less fun. But, they have recently been renovated and I believe they have new owners. There has been a lot of advertisement about it lately, and we will be checking it out soon. They used to have the best Del Monico steak!! Malone's has more of a classy, and more Irish astmosphere than Folkies.

A lot of people really like Rosie's Little Italy (3909 S. Western Ave., 674-8514), but I really don't like it. The food is not very flavorful to me (I lived in Germany for a while and we would go to Italy a lot) and seems to have nothing Italian about it, except pasta and cheese. But, a lot of people like it, so,...

Now, as far as entertainment, nightclubs and what not (Besides Folkies or Malones)... There's not much here in Marion:

RP's (32nd or 33rd Sts. and S. Washington St.) is where we go the most. They have the best karaoke (and it's GOOD karaoke, your ears will not be offended, I promise) on Friday and Saturday nights. It's a small place, but lost of fun - no trouble there - the people are all friendly.

Don's Tap (1649Factory Ave., 662-1591) has good food and is a fun place to watch the Colts play football on Sundays.

Good Time Charlies (3448 S. Adams St., 674-5984) has good karaoke too, i've heard. Fairly decent food. Really interestingly decorated!

Sports Bar (3022 S. Washington St., 662-3717) is just a local type tavern. They have pool tables, darts, and corn hole.

We have a new place called BPOE (Best Place on Earth) and it's pretty good, but their prices are rather steep and the food is not that good. They have tons of drinks and martinis. It does attract a "younger" crowd as the eveing goes on. It has 3 levels. The first (or rather middle level, you enter from the street at the middle) is the "sports" bar. Kinda boring. The second (or rather lower level is the Martini bar (that's the one we like). The third (or rather top level) is the dance club (doesn't open until 10:00 on weekends and has $3 cover). It's an okay place, but we just haven't liked it the last couple of times we've gone - I think it's the atmosphere we don't really like. I really don't know the address, but it's located downtown.

Now, since you're gonna be staying in Kokomo, I've heard about a place there called: The Ultimate Place to Be. It's a club and I've heard a lot of people say they like it, but I've never been.

That's all I can think of. Hope I've been a help. If you have any questions, feel free to email me. Have fun!!

Old 11-01-2010, 07:41 PM

1 posts, read 4,169 times
Default Romantic Restaurant in Kokomo

OK you guys,
I want to impress my girl. Where can I take her in Kokomo for a great meal with a romantic atmosphere? She's kind of a picky eater so I think a Steak place or Italian would be best. I like a nice wine with my meal. Any suggentions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana