Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2013, 11:30 PM

6 posts, read 13,000 times

Advertisements

Hello. We are considering moving to South Bend area and want to know what people so with their dogs in the snow. I have noticed very few homes having any fencing at all. This is new to us as in California everyone's yard is fenced. Also, we have a doggie door for our little dogs to go in and out as they need. Is this not common place in this area? We take our dogs for walks too, but if we are not home and they need to go, what do most people do? Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 03:25 AM

855 posts, read 2,395,999 times
Our dog loves the snow, especially when it's deep enough for him to frolic in. He runs through it, rolls in it and just has himself a high old time. When it's too deep for him(He's a smaller dog, around twenty pounds), I clear an oval for him in the back yard with the snow blower and he loves to go out and sprint around it. Clean up can be a bit of a pain deep in winter when the snow lingers because #2 will drop to the bottom of the snow.

I guess it depends on where in the area you're looking. Our area has many yards with either privacy or chain link fences. We've had a privacy fence for over thirty years and we also have a doggy door. It's a small expense in the grand scheme of things, anywhere from $30 on up depending on type and dog size and they're fairly simple to install. It's just a matter of training them to use it.

If you're selling a home in Cali before moving out here, you'll likely have enough money left over to install a privacy fence as homes tend to be less expensive here. Nice homes with decent lots can be had in the $150,000 to $300,000(In our area, $90,000-$150,000) range and a privacy fence would probably be a $5,000-$6,000 expense depending on the size of the yard if the home doesn't already have one. A chain link or picket fence would be less and either are usually tall enough to confine even larger dogs. Regardless, that's a small price to pay for our canine family members, at least as far as I'm concerned. Of course, ours is spoiled to death.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:33 AM

6 posts, read 13,000 times
Ours are spoiled as well. We have a yorkie and 2 shih tzus. Thank you for the advice. I will let my hubby know its all about the snow blower! Lol

Old 08-04-2013, 04:39 AM

855 posts, read 2,395,999 times
Not at all, I'm happy to help a fellow dog lover.

Our dog is only around twenty pounds but he's long legged so a few inches of snow doesn't bother him. It gets to be an issue for him when we receive around 8-9 inches and using a snow blower to clear a place for him out back makes it easier for him because he usually won't venture out into it if it's too deep.

A snow blower should be standard equipment in this area regardless because we generally get quite a bit and there are usually at least three or four snow events every year where a snow shovel just doesn't get it done. Don't think of it as an expense, think of it as a back and time saver.

Good luck with your move!

Old 08-05-2013, 04:35 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
If we're not home, my dog stays in his crate ... with the door open. He just knows to go there and stay there. He's good at holding his wee/poo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana