Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 10:10 AM

4 posts, read 6,672 times

Advertisements

According to AARP South Bend, Indiana is one of the best places to retire in the country.
Where to Live and Retire for Low-Cost Living and Saving Money in the U.S. - AARP

some highlights include

South Bend, Ind.: College Legend, Housing Steal

Population: 316,900

Median home price: $82,500

Median mortgage payment: $315

Median annual property tax: $846

State tax on Social Security: No

State tax on pensions: No
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 06:18 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,227,229 times
That could be said about several towns in Indiana.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:10 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,227,229 times
Question, why isn't there much of a discussion on the Indiana forum about South Bend?

Old 07-10-2016, 10:38 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
That could be said about several towns in Indiana.
South Bend's geographical location gives it a slight edge to other cities in the state I think.

You have the south shore line that goes from the airport to the heart of downtown Chicago. You're smack dab in the middle of Detroit, Chicago, Indianapolis, Cleveland, and Cincinnati, proximity to Chicago reigns supreme though.

Indianapolis is still a very affordable place to live, but the influx and growth of the city has increased real estate, South Bend and the surrounding area is still a huge bang for your buck area. For its size it's really only competing against 3 other cities in the state, that would be Fort Wayne, Evansville, and Bloomington. Though Fort Wayne is the largest, they all have fairly similar amenities.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Question, why isn't there much of a discussion on the Indiana forum about South Bend?
You'd think there would be, it's the second largest CSA in the state after Indianapolis. Over 700,000 people in the Combined Statistical area.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:55 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,808 times
I'd actually say the South Bend-Mishawaka area has more amenities than Fort Wayne right now, but Fort Wayne is doing much more with their redevelopment of the Downtown area.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
I'd actually say the South Bend-Mishawaka area has more amenities than Fort Wayne right now, but Fort Wayne is doing much more with their redevelopment of the Downtown area.
Really? I'd be curious to see that. I've only visited Fort Wayne once, but its downtown seemed very nice. Had the large corporate feel and the small local shops and restaurants here and there, even some apartments downtown which goes a long ways towards revitalizing it.

South Bend has taken some great strides in the last 5 years, renovating all those old buildings into new apartments, and the smart streets project, turning all the streets to 2 way instead of 1 way, I just hope it pays off, would really like to see DTSB rebound well.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:52 PM

625 posts, read 1,811,193 times
I frequent both South Bend and Fort Wayne fairly often. I must say that I'm impressed with both cities and their downtown redevelopment projects. I mean, honestly, it is not easy to get projects off the ground in downtown areas. It doesn't just happen overnight in Rust Belt cities. Obviously, Fort Wayne has more momentum, being that it is a larger city with more of a corporate presence downtown.

However, South Bend definitely does a better job utilizing the waterways downtown. I've always been amazed at how underutilized Fort Wayne's waterways are compared to the South Bend metro area (including Mishawaka, Elkhart, and Goshen).

I really like what is happening in both cities, and I think it is great for our region, considering both cities are less than 2 hours apart. We have a lot to be proud of!

Old 07-12-2016, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr18 View Post
I frequent both South Bend and Fort Wayne fairly often. I must say that I'm impressed with both cities and their downtown redevelopment projects. I mean, honestly, it is not easy to get projects off the ground in downtown areas. It doesn't just happen overnight in Rust Belt cities. Obviously, Fort Wayne has more momentum, being that it is a larger city with more of a corporate presence downtown.

However, South Bend definitely does a better job utilizing the waterways downtown. I've always been amazed at how underutilized Fort Wayne's waterways are compared to the South Bend metro area (including Mishawaka, Elkhart, and Goshen).

I really like what is happening in both cities, and I think it is great for our region, considering both cities are less than 2 hours apart. We have a lot to be proud of!
Is there a major river that passes through Fort Wayne? As I said, I've only briefly visited the city once, and wasn't able to fully explore it.

I like the rust belt atmosphere of both cities, it's a key to their past, and many of those old building are being refurbished and repurposed. Honestly the only thing I really like about Indiana is its cities, I know that the grand majority of the state is farmland, and that bores me so much.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:59 PM

625 posts, read 1,811,193 times
Yes, it has three rivers. However, they have a brown-like color because of the high concentration of clay soil in the area. It really doesn't look appealing. But, rivers nonetheless!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana