Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2018, 02:53 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,079,006 times

Advertisements

I've been searching for a career change in recent years. Tried computer science (mostly programming, setting up database type path) but hated it. I got the basics, but found the entire concept of sitting at a computer typing for hours on end rather tedious. So now I'm going to start Ivy Tech next year, with a focus on either robotics and/or industrial technician type work (electrical and mechanical with hopefully some PLC programming just to expand my abilities).

I've been trying to get an idea on what the various manufacturing industries are paying. I know many are using temp companies and starting wages can be a lot lower than what one can make if they are hired as a full-time company employee. Right now, it seems Honda leads the way. Starting pay is around $17/hour but I hear that after a couple of years as an actual Honda employee, pay is more around $20/hour. A place in Greenfield has been showing up on Facebook via a temp agency, but starting pay is pretty low, around $13/hour. This is the same company that I swear used to pay in the mid to upper teens a decade or more ago, so I'm not sure if this temp agency is just being cheap or what. A place up in Anderson (with facilities in Columbus as well), seem to start in the upper teens. According to one advisor I spoke with, these companies are having issues, mostly with the younger population but a few others as well, of just not having a great work ethic. They can't be on-time, or they work great for six to nine months, then something happens and they ain't happy and problems start popping up. One guy claimed he gets called a lot from companies looking for basically people with electrical and mechanical skills that can fix machines. He said that Indiana has a huge manufacturing rebirth, which I do agree from what I see driving around, but the wages are no where near what my UAW relatives were making back in the day.

Now Amazon and Target are going to be paying $15/hour. I know that IU wants to be there by 2020. I think this will help push some of the manufacturing and non-Amazon warehouse jobs to push their pay up as well. I know a regional bank was paying tellers $15/hour per a recent ad. Anyone heard anything from other companies about how they might be raising their wages due to this push to mid-teens by Amazon, Target, IU, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana