Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 11:23 AM

4 posts, read 38,364 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I have read a few other threads regarding relocating to Fishers, IN (and surrounding towns). I am curious about finding more information about the way property taxes are handled there (meaning when you take over a property - is it pro-rated, etc and also how does it work as far as assessing the taxes - is it a % by sale price like in IL, or something like 1/2 the amount of sale price X a milage rate like in MI, or something totally random???) And, say for Fishers (since it looks like it is closer to Indy proper, is there an additional City tax?
I guess I am really concerned about the taxes because I currently live in IL and HATE it - my old saying was "everyone wants a buck - well here in IL, everyone wants 10 bucks!!!" I am so tired of funding everyones retirement accounts and having nothing left for my own!!! I also see you guys are charged tax on food like here in IL - is it 1% or does that depend on where exactly you live? Does IN have a standard sales tax, or does that depend on where you live? What about State income tax?
Also, I just saw at indystar.com there was a prostitution bust in Carmel, yet I read in some threads that Carmel was more 'elite' - or at least that was the impression I got, more snobby, etc. What is exactly going on there?
I have a unique situation and am searching for my own "perfect place". Here's a little about us. Husband telecommutes - so we can live ANYWHERE - I just cant find ANYWHERE GOOD to live!!! Prior Military, so the kids are ok (as are we) with relocating. Have a dog (80#) and want somewhere that is DOG FRIENDLY, ie.... dog can go play in the park, or swim etc and enjoy his life too. Very important to have SAFE place to live - where the neighborhood will still be desireable after 5 years. Would prefer to not work for my mortgage (like in IL). Husband grew up here (IL) thats why we are back after getting out of the Military, but I HATE it here (as I said earlier). I grew up in Michigan (North East of Detroit) but have no immediate family there to go back to.
PLEASE HELP me find what I need.
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 01:32 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
I sent you a pm, but I'll spout a little here. Yea, they busted a hooker ring in Carmel, but that doesn't mean it's not elite and you shouldn't consider it. There are also some very elite areas of Fishers too. Former Pacer, Reggie Miller's house is a mile from mine.

We moved to Fishers for the school system that isn't afraid to split up high schools. Fishers just opened a second high school with a third being fast tracked.

Some on here will whine about how you shouldn't move to Fishers because of the traffic ... bupkis! Traffic at it's worst is much much much better than Chicago expressway traffic on a sunday morning. We lived in Chicago for almost 10 years and we miss it very much because we just love the city. BUT, we DON'T miss the taxes and the high cost of just living normally. Our sales tax is 6%. I'm not aware of a city tax ... see, I just don't keep track of it because TAXES ARE SO MUCH LOWER!!! It's just not an issue. Indiana has it's quirks. No sunday alcohol sales, but you can get loaded in a restaurant that serves food on sundays. It wreaked havoc with some this year because Christmas eve and New Years eve all fell on sundays this year. But it's a small sacrifice to be able to live in a place where you can actually save money!!! That's hard to do in the Chicago area.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:10 PM

Ok, in searching the mls, here are some more areas I am wondering about...
McCordsville, Fortville, Noblesville, Greenfield, Zionsville in addition to Fishers and Carmel. (Some areas seem to be quite reasonable, and I am wondering what is wrong with the place - usually nuclear power plants or max security prisons nearby give you a housing discount - hee hee) Seriously though, where are the places to avoid on this list???

Can anyone give me the rundown on the schools in any/all of these areas - I have one in 11th grade and one in 6th grade.

Thanks!!!

Old 01-11-2007, 04:25 PM

I forgot to add Westfield to my list

Old 01-11-2007, 04:28 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
McCordsville & Fortville are the next Fishers. Growing like gangbusters. Nothing wrong with either. You could actually get some property in these areas. Mt. Vernon schools are good and growing.

Noblesville-Hamilton county seat. Growing too. Good schools. Sometimes gets a bad rap and gets called "noble-tucky", but I've never had any issues with the place. We didn't move there because it wasn't close enough to downtown.

Greenfield-kind of out there. Easy access to I-70. Sometimes get a bad rap for the same reason that Noblesville does. Lots of stores, not sure about the schools, Mt. Vernon may be better.

Zionsville-beautiful town. On the high end in price. Good access to I-65 if you need to get downtown.

No prisons or nuclear power plants in any of them. Pendleton has prisons ... but it's still nice and lots of people are moving out there.

As for Carmel. Great school system. But the high school is just humongous (5K and growing). That's what broke the deal for us moving to Carmel. But I still go there a lot and use their park system when we want a change from the Fishers parks.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:50 AM

50 posts, read 298,530 times
klwrdh02, I grew up NW of Detroit, and I'm with you....you couldn't pay me to go back. It's like getting out of prison!!!!

I have a house in Mooresville, Indiana for sale as I've moved. It's a 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath house and I want to say we pay about $1200 for taxes(?). I can find out for sure when the wife wakes up, she knows all about that stuff. But that's what we pay once a year.

It's in a nice neighborhood. We were there for 3 years and never had any problems. There is contract security that patrol the neighborhood as well as local Police that live inside the neighborhood. It has a fenced in yard so the dog would have a little home of his own. There are also miles and miles of walking trails for the dog too as well as community swimming pools, volleyball courts, basketball courts, tennis courts, bike trails, and a golf course.

It's in the Mooresville School District, which I always go to schoolmatters.com to check them out. You can make it downtown in 1/2 hour and to the airport in 15 minutes. There's an indoor/outdoor mall in Plainfield which is brand new which opened last year about 10 minutes away. The area is also growing and expanding everyday.

The house is listed at $129K, but we will work with you if you're interested. Email me at ericalli@yahoo.com

Old 01-12-2007, 06:39 AM

332 posts, read 632,148 times
You can't go wrong in Hamilton County. I'm partial to Fishers, but would consider Carmel or Noblesville too. Zionsville, Westfield, McCordsville, and Fortville are getting "out there" if you want easy access to 69 or the Castleton/Keystone shopping areas. Greenfield is on the East side...so not in the same ballpark as the other towns. Mooresville is on the Southwest side. Most areas other than Hamilton County (which is the North/NE side) are less expensive, but you get what you pay for (no disrespect to Piggy). Public schools are TOP NOTCH in Ham Cty, parks, shopping, etc. You've got a public beach at Morse Resevoir in N'ville and if you buy my Fishers house, you've got a great community pool! PM me if you'd like a flyer.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:25 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
Your house is assessed a fair market value (at a set time along with everyone else's) and then that amount is multiplied by the tax rate.

Each area has a different rate.

There have been some changes in the last few years to the method because Lake County sued in court and got it changed. There was quite a period of fluctuation where taxes changed(mostly going up and some by several times). This has settled out now.

Your taxes on an existing house are prorated at whatever the agreement is with the parties involved. There is no required proration. You could negotiate for the other party to pay "ahead" if you wanted but it is usually split.

New houses are an exception. Since you are only billed on land until the house is finished, there is a year or so delay until the taxes hit your escrow account and many are unhappy to find this new amount being required each month. Usually because they were not asking questions or listening.

My house is worth around $250,000, assessed at much lower (Im not going to complain) and the taxes are around $1,900 per year in Marion County, downtown. A lot of info is public info from the Assessors offices if you want to get into detail.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:36 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
I think you are worrying about the pennies and not considering the pounds right now.

What are the most important things in your life and what to you need to accomplish them? What amount do you want to spend? What activities are the most important and are you doing right now? What is important in a house and lot? Size, amenities, garage, land, walkability, nearness to certain stores, nearness to airport, etc.) For example, if you dont need to live near work do you need reliable cell and broadband? This could be a deal breaker. Do you need city water and sewer? Do you need or want to have only a quick trip to a big grocery store? Do you want to avoid interstates?

There are good areas all over. I would say the kids activities are most important right now since driving them all over just to have a home in the outer country would get old. What do they do and what type of schools do you want? It helps to use that to help narrow the focus.

I can find you property all over the compass in all price ranges but without identifying specific needs (not just safety too general or the lowest taxes not the most important or etc) it is hard to help with specifics.

Beware of stereotypes and sensational news articles. There is not a place in any city without drunks and prostitutes. We had a serial killer in one of the most exclusive subdivisions and sexual predators can live in any state and city, even suburbs.

Carmel has the reputation for wealth due to the cost of housing and the proximity to the most expensive house in Indianan. It has estates etc. It has a big big high school and parents who expect a lot. Lots of corporate executives. But, there are still some reasonable housing in outer areas like Westfield but you would have more of a drive (the reason for the lower cost). Carmel, Fishers, Noblesville, Westfield have all started to blend together. There is little to identify the different areas when you are out and driving.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:06 PM

7 posts, read 46,178 times
Default Choose Greenfield

Greenfield, IN would be the only choice for me. Great schools (3 elem, 2 jhs, and 1 high school), safe neighborhoods, good parks department with activities for the kids, etc. Also there are a number of houses available. Granted, Greenfield is growing but not like Hamilton County (Fishers area), McCordsville is growing by leaps and bounds but soon will only be "another" part of Indianapolis and Fortville has nothing for shopping purposes. Greenfield has shopping convenience and only a 15 to 20 minute drive to Indy which has it all. You would not be sorry for choosing Greenfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana