Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 01:19 PM

17 posts, read 135,655 times

Advertisements

We used to live Marion too. I have not been to Marion in about six months. Just found out from a
friend who still lives in Marion. Had said, just recently the Marion's North Park Mall had changed
its name to Five Points. Some people can't leave well enough alone I guess.

The Marion's North Park was really nice when I was growing up. They had so many nice shops
in the North Park Mall back then. I remember when they had Hills and so many other nice places
in the mall. After Hills Department Stores went out.

Then there was Ames Stores that lasted for about two years. What a disappointment Ames was!
Now there is Steve and Barry's in the same location. Just found out Steve and Barry's is closing
their doors if they have not already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 10:21 PM

24 posts, read 131,831 times
Steve & Barry's is now gone too. The North Park Mall was almost a ghost town. Just recently it was bought out by the Simon group that has many malls around the country. I hear a lot of changes are going to be made to the mall now.

I keep hoping someone will build some sort of nice shopping plaza and restaurants along the river downtown.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:15 PM

910 posts, read 2,984,137 times
Towns like Marion are very sad and deppressing. Towns that relied on manufacturing industries that have ever sence shut down. Ohio is full of towns like Lima, Findlay, Zainesville, etc. that are losing people at a fast rate. I've never been to Marion, I've been by on I-69 but thats about it. All I have heard of the place is that it is very deppressing and falling apart. I've never been to Kokomo either, is Kokomo the same way?

Old 12-16-2008, 01:25 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,723,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
Towns like Marion are very sad and deppressing. Towns that relied on manufacturing industries that have ever sence shut down. Ohio is full of towns like Lima, Findlay, Zainesville, etc. that are losing people at a fast rate. I've never been to Marion, I've been by on I-69 but thats about it. All I have heard of the place is that it is very deppressing and falling apart. I've never been to Kokomo either, is Kokomo the same way?
Kokomo is hanging in there. I drive through there on occasion ... hard not to when heading straight north! The big 3 plants all seem to be operating and I haven't heard any bad news coming out of there. Let's just hope it all can stay together until February.

But Marion is a sad case. They are a cradle of Indiana HS basketball and at one time, they had a vibrant manufacturing economy, like Anderson used to. I remember when they shut down the Thompson plant a couple years ago, it ticked someone off so bad that they torched the place. It's sad because there are still a lot of people who still call the place home.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:47 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,183,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
Kokomo is larger than Marion and more diverse even though both rely heavily on factories. Kokomo has more to offer than Marion does because they never expanded past depending on factories. The GM plant in Marion that once was full in the parking lot on all three shifts now probably couldn't fill the parking lot with all 3 shifts combined. Still it has been a profit plant for GM but could be facing shut down since they produce SUV and trucks there. If that GM plant goes down Marion will be a grave yard because of the lack of government leadership for years there.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:49 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,723,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Kokomo is larger than Marion and more diverse even though both rely heavily on factories. Kokomo has more to offer than Marion does because they never expanded past depending on factories. The GM plant in Marion that once was full in the parking lot on all three shifts now probably couldn't fill the parking lot with all 3 shifts combined. Still it has been a profit plant for GM but could be facing shut down since they produce SUV and trucks there. If that GM plant goes down Marion will be a grave yard because of the lack of government leadership for years there.
So sad ...

Old 12-19-2008, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 4,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delaura18 View Post
Hi! We are looking at a possible move to Marion...it wouldn't be until the latter part of 2009...but I am looking for anything and everything about the place! Tell me your thoughts...the good, the bad, the ugly. I heard it was struggling from one person...and then another says it is fantastic...so I come here for you help. Is it a safe place to raise small children? Are there fun things to do...is the community active? Coming from Mississippi and wondering what the insects and spiders are like in Marion...may seem silly but they are a big deal down here!! I want any tidbits anyone is willing to give me!

Thanks for your time!!
Marion, Indiana is a great place to live. We have excellent schools, great nightlife, and a real sense of community. <mod edit, no advertising>

Last edited by domergurl; 12-19-2008 at 04:14 PM..

Old 12-19-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broker-in-Marion View Post
Marion, Indiana is a great place to live. We have excellent schools, great nightlife, and a real sense of community. .

Not according to everybody else that lives or have lived in Marion

Old 12-19-2008, 05:08 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,183,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broker-in-Marion View Post
Marion, Indiana is a great place to live. We have excellent schools, great nightlife, and a real sense of community. <mod edit, no advertising>
You should be ashamed of yourself posting such lies. Your schools are on academic probation, there is no night life in Marion other than some country bars or uppity social clubs for the idiots ruining er I mean running your city and your community is poor at best.

People come to CD looking for honest helpful answers to a place they are considering. Now if you have links to prove what you posted are true then post away friend. I will be glad to post Indiana dept of educations links with true facts, Marion's city web site so others can see what night life is there and all the high unemployment and welfare that plagues what once was a nice area! No fault of the unemployed or welfare recipients, Marion was hit hard with factory closings and has never recovered.

P.S. lets not forget Forbes rated Marion, IN 8th in the worse places to live in the USA either!

Old 12-20-2008, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
You should be ashamed of yourself posting such lies. Your schools are on academic probation, there is no night life in Marion other than some country bars or uppity social clubs for the idiots ruining er I mean running your city and your community is poor at best.

People come to CD looking for honest helpful answers to a place they are considering. Now if you have links to prove what you posted are true then post away friend. I will be glad to post Indiana dept of educations links with true facts, Marion's city web site so others can see what night life is there and all the high unemployment and welfare that plagues what once was a nice area! No fault of the unemployed or welfare recipients, Marion was hit hard with factory closings and has never recovered.

P.S. lets not forget Forbes rated Marion, IN 8th in the worse places to live in the USA either!

Do you think booker-in-marion is one of those sock puppet accounts??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana