Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2011, 06:44 PM

3 posts, read 7,583 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
I'm moving to Bloomington in about a month and am looking for a job. I'm starting grad school at IU in the fall, so I really just need something to pay my rent through the summer months.

I figured there might be some summer jobs between all the nature reserves, campgrounds, boat rental places, etc in the area. I imagine those are the kind of places that are only open seasonally but I'm having a hard time finding leads online.

Does anyone have any tips about places I could call up or go visit when I get out there, or any organizations that would lead me to a bunch of different ideas? (I don't know, like some association of outdoor activities or something?) I'm not looking for anyone to find a job for me (although that would obviously be awesome!) but maybe some locals have tips about where to look.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 07:28 PM

6 posts, read 9,619 times
Have you tried applying for temporary jobs for the summer like Employment Plus? Some of the jobs from temporary agencies can actually work around your school schedule, which is what I did when I went to college and loved it. I live in Bloomington and not really liking the town in terms of employment.

Do you need a place to live in this town? I got an apartment I might not need that starts on August 10th. The rent is $675.00. You'll also have to pay electric, gas, phone, cable, and internet. The apartment has two bedrooms, one bathroom, a washer and dryer hookup, living room, kitchen, dining room, and a deck. 4-people can live in this apartment and sharing the expenses between 4-people would make this apartment cheap to live in. Just a thought.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:40 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickslan View Post
Hey all,
I'm moving to Bloomington in about a month and am looking for a job. I'm starting grad school at IU in the fall, so I really just need something to pay my rent through the summer months.

I figured there might be some summer jobs between all the nature reserves, campgrounds, boat rental places, etc in the area. I imagine those are the kind of places that are only open seasonally but I'm having a hard time finding leads online.

Does anyone have any tips about places I could call up or go visit when I get out there, or any organizations that would lead me to a bunch of different ideas? (I don't know, like some association of outdoor activities or something?) I'm not looking for anyone to find a job for me (although that would obviously be awesome!) but maybe some locals have tips about where to look.

Thanks!
No, the job market is horrible here. Cracker Barrel isn't even hiring. Maybe if you know someone who will allow you to work under the table or something. I am sure those are the only jobs here. I am going to be forced into the military or into trying to find a job overseas just to get work.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:44 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red-turtleneck View Post
I live in Bloomington and not really liking the town in terms of employment.

I also hate Bloomington in terms of employment. I have tried restaurants and still no luck. I am starting to think I need to join the military or go into mission work to find a job so I can get out of here.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:08 PM

3 posts, read 7,583 times
red-turtleneck, thanks for the tip. Did you just sort through jobs on their website or call them up/go into the office or what? I signed up with a temp agency once out here in NJ and they were totally worthless, I just basically never heard a single word from them, let alone a job offer. And I actually already have a place to stay.

bluebelt1234, sorry to hear it. Anyone else tired of listening to news reports about all this job creation going on? I've been struggling for 2 years now, so at least I'm used to the frustration of all this job searching. Good luck to you!

Old 05-19-2011, 08:47 PM

3,406 posts, read 3,450,301 times
I am looking for a worker in bloomington. Pm me and i will tell you more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
View detailed profiles of: