Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 11:31 AM

90 posts, read 264,550 times

Advertisements

Just want some opinions on what Terre Haute is like........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 11:36 AM

7 posts, read 65,451 times
I am looking for the same thing...check out this thread (not good)...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/india...cut-above.html

Also, check out this site if you're interested in Schools.

[url]http://www.school-digger.com[url]

Elementary schools - Dixie Bee and Sugar Creek are good.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:37 AM

Oops, try this one...

Schooldigger.com -- Search and compare elementary, middle, and high schools.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:57 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
Considered a job offer there ~7 years ago, turned it down based partly on overall feeling that had when touring the town and area, along w/ talking w/ various residents and the such. Drive through there ~once per month, stopping for fuel and food, will chat w/ locals, and still, and esp. after reading/learning more about the locale, that am very glad didn't move there. However, w/ that said, it is in a good location - relatively close to bigger cities, potentially cool river at their door step, some very good colleges... but then again, there is that 'odor'... along w/ a general feeling of malaise around there. Could really be a nice/good town, given some leadership and care and involvement.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:29 AM

15 posts, read 97,365 times
Terre Haute's a decent place to live. Like anywhere, it's what you make of it. My husband's from there and we lived there for the last two years, until I had a job transfer. However, the area does suffer from severe low self-esteem. I think it's the comparisons to places like Bloomington, Fort Wayne, etc. It used to be "sin city" before there was Las Vegas, but in trying to clean up the town, they've lost their identity, and are trying to find a new one. The president of ISU has big plans for the university, but a financial numbers aren't there, nor are the students to make it into the research and "big" school he envisions. But there are some new industries coming into town and some positive things on the horizon.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:05 PM

148 posts, read 459,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorgirl View Post
Terre Haute's a decent place to live. Like anywhere, it's what you make of it. My husband's from there and we lived there for the last two years, until I had a job transfer. However, the area does suffer from severe low self-esteem. I think it's the comparisons to places like Bloomington, Fort Wayne, etc. It used to be "sin city" before there was Las Vegas, but in trying to clean up the town, they've lost their identity, and are trying to find a new one. The president of ISU has big plans for the university, but a financial numbers aren't there, nor are the students to make it into the research and "big" school he envisions. But there are some new industries coming into town and some positive things on the horizon.
Im interested to hear what kinds of plans the univ. president has for campus? I know that ISU is buying a lot of property near its campus, and there is talk of building a new football stadium closer to campus to improve the college environment. Any other rumors/news?

Old 08-13-2007, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorgirl View Post
But there are some new industries coming into town and some positive things on the horizon.
Do you know what kind of "positive things"? What I would like to see is new construction...housing, shopping centers, etc. Those are two big indicators of an upward moving economy. Everything I've seen about TH so far indicates the opposite.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:04 PM

22 posts, read 116,194 times
They used to call Terre Haute the Tuna Fish Capitol of the world because when you drove into the town you were hit by the smell of a local factory that produced something that smelled alot like dead fish.
Like anything else you can make any place a home. I am sure the people are friendly

Old 08-16-2007, 12:29 AM

9 posts, read 45,980 times
I moved to Terre Haute 10 years ago from SoCal. It took me about a month to figure out that I landed in the next to the worst place I could have in IN. Gary is worse.

If you must move there, move to the area, but not Terre Haute. Parke County is nice. Marshall, IL is nice.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:23 PM

26 posts, read 127,930 times
I lived in TH about 8 years ago I moved there from Fl. and left there for Ca.
I miss it alot and am planning on moving back it had down home friendliness about it i am sorry I left there has been nothing but building and stores coming up around me here and its getting annoying I am moving back to TH to get away from it and am hoping NO make that PRAYING the same does not happen there I want a nice place for my family and am tired of this people on top of people building i'd rather drive 20-30 minutes somewhere than have the crowdedness..I miss TH hopefully next spring or so i'll be back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana