Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 05:06 PM

38 posts, read 201,692 times

Advertisements

Hi, I currently live in Illinois I work downtown and have only been here for a year. I just cant survive the Il housing prices anymore. I am looking for a 3 bedroom townhome or nice single family in good area of nw Indiana with decent commute to around the Federal District of downtown. Looking to rent possible buy. Im clueless to Indiana looking for area similar to Naperville,il. Nice schools middle class neighborhoods. Just a nice safe place to live. Please respond I need to get outta chicagoland!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 06:18 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,738,916 times
Would you be driving into the city every day, or taking the South Shore ?

I would recommend Chesterton, its far enough out you can get away from the traffic gridlock in the Highland, Munster & Schererville area, and take the SS to work every day.

If you live outside of Lake County, your insurance will be cheaper too.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
Would you be driving into the city every day, or taking the South Shore ?

I would recommend Chesterton, its far enough out you can get away from the traffic gridlock in the Highland, Munster & Schererville area, and take the SS to work every day.

If you live outside of Lake County, your insurance will be cheaper too.
WOW, what a diffrence in price. I went on realtor.com and found some really nice homes can you tell me what schools are best in Chesterton, or areas to avoid. What is your local newspaper? I want to check out the classifieds for rentals, thanks

Old 06-16-2007, 07:44 AM

okay, since no one has comments on chesterton, can you sugggest other cute-safe towns that are more affordable than chicago burbs.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:36 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,738,916 times
Well, theres Hobart, in Lake County. And Portage in Porter County. Valparaiso is a very nice town, lots of Chicago people building there. Schools are very good in Valpo.

What kind of commute time are you willing to do?

Old 06-16-2007, 08:55 PM

22 posts, read 130,168 times
IMHO, anything is cheaper than Chicago!!!! That's a known fact to us. There are no higher taxes than in this part of Illinois. Can't wait to get out. The traffic is another misery.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,180 times
If I had to choose, I'd pick porter county. I lived in Valpo as a kid, moved back to Merrillville, and now as an adult, I want to go back to Valpo. Mayor Costas is really taking care of that city and is growing nicely. The old downtown, with brick streets, is really nice and now smoke free. Wonderful shops and outdoor restaurants. The Popcorn Festival is wonderful every year. If you didn't know, Orville Reddenbocker (sp) is from this area. You can easily take the southshore up to Chicago. Valpo is close to the beach and the Deep River Waterpark. The golf coarse at Aberdeen is really nice. Schools are very good. Valpo is also college town with Valpo University. Good Luck in your search! Drive down to Valpo and look around. I think you'd really like it. Take care.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:31 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
A lot of Illinois folks are flocking to Crown Point, Dyer. St. John and Schererville. Schools are good (Crown Point and Lake Central schools). Look into Chesterton and Valpo too. A little further out, but Chicago people are moving out there too. Lake county taxes (CP and Lake Central) taxes are higher than Porter county (Valpo & Chesterton).

Old 06-18-2007, 07:19 AM

I want to thank everyone for posting so far. We drove to Chesterton over the weekend. It was pretty nice. I am in shock at the diffrence its like a whole nother world. We checked out the beach and ate on country road at El Satio (sp) really good have the half rolled fajita taco salad. I didt find any major shopping though such as; homedepot, sams club, walmart. Where is all that? Im from a small town and can get used to chesterton but I have so much more to learn. Is the water there contaminated because of the plants? There has got to be a catch to living so much cheaper and being so close to Chicago. I am going to find a hotel down there and look around more another weekend. If you have any details about Chesterton please post them.
Thanks!!!!

Last edited by winters816; 06-18-2007 at 07:28 AM..

Old 06-18-2007, 07:51 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
There is no catch really. We moved back to Indiana after living in Chicago and we were chuckling during closing when they told us how much the taxes would be BEFORE you filed for your EXEMPTIONS!!! Those lower your taxes even further. It is more expensive to tag your car though. But sales tax is cheaper, housing is cheaper ... as for shopping, most is done in Merrillville/Hobart or in Valpo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana