Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 07:59 PM

813 posts, read 2,031,251 times

Advertisements

I may have a potential job opportunity in Indianapolis earning about $20k more than here in Nashville. Now, I am understandably curious to find out a little more about Indianapolis neighborhoods that may be a good fit for my partner and me if this job opportunity comes to fruition. I have distant relatives in Indy but have not visited in at least a decade. Therefore, I have no concept of what the neighborhoods are truly like.

We don't need a "gayborhood" per se but would like to be in or near a progressive and eclectic, inner-ring neighborhoods that's reasonably walkable with restaurants, bars, good groceries, etc. We're both in our late 20's so we would prefer neighborhoods that tend to have more young professionals. For those of you that are familiar with Nashville, I am specifically looking for neighborhoods in Indy that would have similar vibes to Hillsboro Village, Midtown/West End, East Nashville, 12South or Sylvan Park. I do understand that Indy is a slightly bigger metro so I would assume it would have some neighborhoods like these.

I would also like to know how expensive it is to live in these neighborhoods. From my quick perusing of craigslist, it looks like comparable rentals to those that we've seen in Nashville may actually be less expensive in Indy. Then again, I have no idea which neighborhoods are interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 09:26 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,283,297 times
You would probably enjoy the area around Mass Ave. I don't know how it compares to anything in Nashville, but it is the closest thing to a "gayborhood" in Indianapolis. Though, it is not really a "gayborhood" at all. I have some gay neighbors in Fountain Square, some with rainbow flags in the front of their houses.

Not sure how helpful that is, but it is a start I suppose. I am not gay, but I do have some gay friends, so I can not really provide much more than that. I know where my friends live, and I know where the Carmelites think all the gay people live. They are not the same places.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:28 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,476,643 times
Any downtown historic neighborhood would be fine and close to more amenities. St Joseph, Chatham Arch, Cottage Home, Old Northside would be some. The area in and around Cottage Home is full of those interested in urban living and they are doing an incredible amount of home renovation to quite high standard.

However, you would enjoy Broad Ripple and College (east and west of) north of about 49th. Loads of things to do and those stores and stuff you would need on more of a daily basis. Previous posts about Broad Ripple give you background. It is the young professional's old home neighborhood with trees, sidewalks, interesting shops, and the Monon with easy access.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:32 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,027,782 times
I would also recommend Mass Ave and other peripheral downtown neighborhoods. Real estate in that area would be considerably more expensive, but higher quality. The Fountain Square area is up and coming as well. If you want something a bit quieter, try Irvington.

Where are the areas that you've browsed in your rental search?

Old 07-20-2010, 04:35 PM

813 posts, read 2,031,251 times
Initially, I went to craigslist and simply did a search for the price range we would consider. It looks like the price points may be a little higher than I first thought after checking out some of the neighborhoods you all have suggested. But I'm still pleasantly surprised at some of the reasonable prices I've seen for updated homes near some of the suggested areas. A few examples:

[REDUCED PRICE] Great House Near Downtown and Monon
Great big 2 bdrm condo--check out photos. (http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/apa/1847423697.html - broken link)
BEAUTIFUL BUNGALOW IN THE VILLAGE FOR SHORT TERM LEASE (http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/apa/1807213699.html - broken link)

Are these rentals in less desirable neighborhoods?

Also, we are certainly neither expecting nor particularly desiring a "gayborhood." Those seem few and far between outside of major cities and extremely pricey as well. We do want to be reasonably close to nightlife, gay or otherwise, but an inclusive neighborhood with a vibe of its own is high on our list. A decent place in those sort of neighborhoods here are a bit pricey.

Last edited by ariesjow; 07-20-2010 at 04:53 PM..

Old 07-20-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
Are these rentals in less desirable neighborhoods?
The first one is, and while it's inner city, has nothing immediately nearby.

The second one is located in Midtown which, depending on the street, can be very desirable or very undesirable.

The third one is fine.

Based on your criteria, I'd still recommend Mass Ave, Irvington, Fountain Square, etc

Old 07-20-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
The first one is, and while it's inner city, has nothing immediately nearby.

The second one is located in Midtown which, depending on the street, can be very desirable or very undesirable.

The third one is fine.

Based on your criteria, I'd still recommend Mass Ave, Irvington, Fountain Square, etc
Actually, the first one is in a development called "Martindale on the Monon" that aspires to be similar to Fall Creek Place. Yandes Street is put together very well. They have big plans for that neighborhood. If they can capitalize on the Monon and follow up on the development of Fall Creek Place, could be good; but we all know how that stuff can go.

http://www.martindaleonthemonon.com/index.htm (broken link)

The second one is in Fall Creek Place; well south of "midtown." Good area.

*As an aside, if you are feeling brave, you can get a house on the cheap on the near-east side. One of my best friends his gay; he and his husband are rehabbing a house near 10th and Keystone. They tell me that there are a lot of people moving into that neighborhood north of 10th and south of Brookside Park. Something to think about I suppose.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 07-20-2010 at 08:10 PM..

Old 07-21-2010, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Actually, the first one is in a development called "Martindale on the Monon" that aspires to be similar to Fall Creek Place. Yandes Street is put together very well. They have big plans for that neighborhood. If they can capitalize on the Monon and follow up on the development of Fall Creek Place, could be good; but we all know how that stuff can go.

Martindale on the Monon - Classic Urban Living Along the Monon Trail (http://www.martindaleonthemonon.com/index.htm - broken link)

The second one is in Fall Creek Place; well south of "midtown." Good area.
I consider 22nd and Penn to be Midtown.

Also, I'm viewing Yandes on StreetView as I type this, and that area has nothing of significance nearby. Also, those homes look painfully cheap, probably even moreso than the ones in FCP.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I consider 22nd and Penn to be Midtown.
That is fine, but there is an actual Midtown group that defines an actual midtown Indianapolis. By neighborhood standards in Indianapolis, an increasingly powerful one. No need to confuse a noob to Indy by interjecting your own definition of Midtown.

Harmoni - Historic Midtown Neighborhoods Initiative

As far as Yandes Street, it is better than what was there before. They do plan to continue development of the neighborhood, like so much of Indianapolis, it just isn't there yet. The National Design development will be one of a kind in Indianapolis, if ever completed.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 07-21-2010 at 06:21 AM..

Old 04-20-2017, 07:02 PM

11 posts, read 45,084 times
Default We moved to Irvington

1. This is by far the most gay-friendly neighborhood I've ever lived in, and I'm from Austin, TX.
2. This is a *seriously* cool neighborhood! The architecture is just fabulous!
3. This is the first place since Travis Heights in Austin, TX I've actually loved living in!

Our being an older gay couple is a non-issue for our neighbors. They actually brought us a casserole dinner the day we moved in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis