Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 10:20 AM

7 posts, read 34,448 times

Advertisements

We will be moving soon to either Plainfield or Avon. My husbands new job is located between the two. We want to find a house based on which highschool would be best for my son to go to. Any opinions on which highschool would be best? I see that they are building a new high school in Plainfield. It looks like it is going to be pretty nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 11:41 PM

8 posts, read 40,469 times
Question school choice

Just between the 2 I'd choose Avon schools however both have things to consider..... plainfield is having some gang issues and avon is outgrowing schools faster than they can build them LITERALLY. so you have to decided between overpopulated and possible gang activity. ( my resource for this info was a teacher from the indianapolis area). want an alternative choice then email me and i can fill you in on good schools that arent overpopulated or gang infested.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:34 PM

29 posts, read 149,988 times
If I were you I would consider Danville as an option. We lived there several years before relocating and I believe their schools are ranked higher than both Plainfield's and Avon's schools. We always heard excellent feedback from neighbors though we do not have children of school age yet.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 10,473 times
Thumbs up Definately Avon

Avon Schools are much better. They are crowded now but new schools opened this year and more are coming next year so that problem will be solved. Avon Band is consistantly ranked among the best in the country. Teacher/Student ratio is good and their High School definately demands the most from their students. If your kids are college bound then Avon is definately the better choice. If you want easier classes then Plainfield, Danville, or even Mooresville would be a better choice.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:39 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,737,569 times
Avon is currently adding a brand new middle school, and a new elementary, and has a Senior Center for high schoolers in the workd, it should be ready in about 4-5 years. You can check out the Indiana Department of Education for links to all the schools' websites and some good info, and also check greatschools.com, a site which ranks schools, give test scores and stats and lets parents leave comments.

I am a realtor in Avon, I would love to show you around when you come to the area and help pinpoint neighborhoods that suit you.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:09 PM

17 posts, read 75,335 times
Go with Avon!

Old 03-19-2008, 07:17 PM

32 posts, read 89,409 times
Default Avon

I'd have to go with Avon!

Old 06-25-2008, 05:04 PM

6 posts, read 52,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cma47940 View Post
Just between the 2 I'd choose Avon schools however both have things to consider..... plainfield is having some gang issues and avon is outgrowing schools faster than they can build them LITERALLY. so you have to decided between overpopulated and possible gang activity. ( my resource for this info was a teacher from the indianapolis area). want an alternative choice then email me and i can fill you in on good schools that arent overpopulated or gang infested.
Gang activity? This is a new one for me. Are you sure that you thought they were talking about Plainfield, NJ? The community of values, I assure you, isn't being infested with Gangs. I think our police force (which I joke that they out number the actual citizens) would take care of any "gang" activity. I'd like to see proof of gang activity.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:43 PM

Default Truth about Plainfield vs. Avon

Plainfield, Indiana is a town that was established in 1839 where Avon, Indiana was established in 1995 (wikipedia.com)

Avon and Plainfield has recently been battling out the boundaries of each of their towns. Both towns, in the past decade, have seen a lot of growth. Upon a quick tour of each town, you'll find that Avon doesn't really have a "center" of town, and that it is dotted along the very congested US 36, or "Rockville Road". Plainfield has an older town area, which is currently undergoing various renovations to keep it nice, and has a large commercial district which is easily accessible via US 40, Perry Road from I-70, or Quaker Blvd. Plainfield has an outdoor mall, dubbed "Metropolis" which has recently undergone a change in management, (The town is hoping it will continue to expand as originally planned), and as of it's opening, has the largest movie theater in the state.

Plainfield, IN is also the site of SIMON Property Group's first property, which is now the buildings that make up Ace Hardware.

Plainfield is also going to dedicate a new, state of the art High School, that costs $103 million, on June 29th, 2008. Plainfield's expansion was vindicated by a study conducted by Indiana State University in that the school system will continue to grow, thus overcrowding older facilities. The new school will be accessed from Hadley Road, Quaker Blvd, and Center Street.

As far as Avon school system, the only thing I can tell is that as of 2005, they were hiring teachers with no experience over teachers that had experience. Reasoning is that the school corporation there can afford to hire more teachers for their ever expanding school system (personal stories from Avon School Teachers). There are pro's and con's to such a hiring practice. Just something to note.

Need access to the Indianapolis International Airport (Which soon could be named Wier Cook Airport once again)? It will be easily accessibly from Plainfield through either Stafford Road or off of I-70.

There has been some concerned raised over the Industrial park that Plainfield is home to. Take note that such parks are signs of economic growth, and show that Plainfield is a logistical center, strategically placed next to I-70. The industrial park has helped to level out increasing taxes within the community. Such a source of revenue is a reason that Avon has engaged in legal battles with Plainfield, which is completely understandable.

Neighborhoods? I'd have to say that both Plainfield and Avon have pretty nice neighborhoods. I've lived in Plainfield and know them first hand. While a younger man, I landscaped a lot of the neighborhoods over in Avon. You'll run into very wealthy ones and those of more humble roots. I'd rate both towns as safe. Each town has a great police force/fire dept.

Both towns taxes may be higher than in most other areas of Indiana, but that is the price you pay for progress.

Both towns are about a 20-30 minute interstate drive from Indianapolis, and very close to the airport. Progress on improving commute times between Plainfield and Avon is being made. Plainfield is waiting for Avon's side to catch up. When completed, it will benefit everyone in the communities.

I can say one thing for sure, I don't envy Hamilton county's commute to the airport, or to Indianapolis. Remember, when you're wanting to build on the north side, that equates to Westfield or more north! Drive that once and you'll be wanting to settle on the West Side of Indianapolis.

Sources:
Plainfield, Indiana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Avon, Indiana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Plainfield School Corporation (http://www.plainfield.k12.in.us/default.htm - broken link)

Old 06-25-2008, 06:00 PM

Default College Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman69 View Post
Avon Schools are much better. They are crowded now but new schools opened this year and more are coming next year so that problem will be solved. Avon Band is consistantly ranked among the best in the country. Teacher/Student ratio is good and their High School definately demands the most from their students. If your kids are college bound then Avon is definately the better choice. If you want easier classes then Plainfield, Danville, or even Mooresville would be a better choice.
As person about to be conferred their Master of Science Degree, I can attest that Plainfield too is suitable for college bound students. One of my English Teachers, Mrs. Kellogg (may be retired now) actually co-wrote the book "SAT's for Dummies". I also learned Physics from a teacher that held a Doctorate (Dr. Saxman) Currently, Chris Cavanaugh, a social studies teacher at Plainfield, IN has been recognized for his exemplary performance both by the state of Indiana and nation wide. (not to mention a great swim coach!) Passed House Resolution 0046

Mr. Cavanaugh was also recognized by Barrack Obama when he held a town meeting at the old Plainfield High School in the Spring of 2008.

As far as Avon, I have no clue to their Teacher staff, besides the fact that they are young. But I will give them this, they employ a lot of Plainfield High School Graduates as Teachers! Don't believe me? Check it out, I went to school with them:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis