Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 03:01 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,359,551 times

Advertisements

For those of you familiar with Chicagoland. Nightlife, things to do, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 03:06 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,861,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
For those of you familiar with Chicagoland. Nightlife, things to do, etc.

I think Carmel or Broad Ripple would be the only areas that would compare to Naperville as far as restaurants and nightlife. What kind of activities are you looking for?

Old 07-19-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I think Carmel or Broad Ripple would be the only areas that would compare to Naperville as far as restaurants and nightlife. What kind of activities are you looking for?
So are Carmel and Broad Ripple equal to less to or greater than Naperville for Young Professionals? Are there bars you can dance at in Naperville?

Old 07-19-2012, 04:18 PM

Oh sorry, I read that wrong. I thought you were moving to Indy area from Naperville.

For young professionals moving to Chicago area I would recommend that you check out Lincoln Park, Wicker Park and Bucktown. Naperville would be more family oriented, IMHO.

You could also consider Berwyn, Oak Park, Oak Brook, and Evanston.

I like Bucktown and Wicker Park for the vibrant, artsy, eclectic feel.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:25 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,358,184 times
I assume you meant bars in Broad Ripple or Carmel.

I don't know about Carmel bars, but there are definitely bars one can dance at in Broad Ripple.

In terms of overall ambiance, economics, shopping, and general lifestyle Carmel is closer to Naperville. I tend to think of Broad Ripple as a "lite" or calmer version of a college town (or at least the college town I live in). The reason I think of it as a "lite" version is that many people are much more likely to drive in and drive out and don't live in the immediate area. That said, there are plenty of young people living in and near Broad Ripple. My understanding is lots of students from nearby Butler head to Broad Ripple for fun. My early 20's daughter and her friends headed to Broad Ripple for New Year's Eve. Since she moved to Carmel a few months ago, I think she's headed down to BR with friends a couple of times.

It's been about 10 years since I've been in downtown Naperville. Are there dance places there now? If so, I would say if you mashed Carmel and Broad Ripple together, you would likely get Naperville.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Oh sorry, I read that wrong. I thought you were moving to Indy area from Naperville.

For young professionals moving to Chicago area I would recommend that you check out Lincoln Park, Wicker Park and Bucktown. Naperville would be more family oriented, IMHO.

You could also consider Berwyn, Oak Park, Oak Brook, and Evanston.

I like Bucktown and Wicker Park for the vibrant, artsy, eclectic feel.
Geeze. I didn't ask about the city. I asked about Naperville. Obviously the city of Chicago is going to have more going on. Naperville is closer to my work. I don't think Oak Brook has as much going on either.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I assume you meant bars in Broad Ripple or Carmel.

I don't know about Carmel bars, but there are definitely bars one can dance at in Broad Ripple.

In terms of overall ambiance, economics, shopping, and general lifestyle Carmel is closer to Naperville. I tend to think of Broad Ripple as a "lite" or calmer version of a college town (or at least the college town I live in). The reason I think of it as a "lite" version is that many people are much more likely to drive in and drive out and don't live in the immediate area. That said, there are plenty of young people living in and near Broad Ripple. My understanding is lots of students from nearby Butler head to Broad Ripple for fun. My early 20's daughter and her friends headed to Broad Ripple for New Year's Eve. Since she moved to Carmel a few months ago, I think she's headed down to BR with friends a couple of times.

It's been about 10 years since I've been in downtown Naperville. Are there dance places there now? If so, I would say if you mashed Carmel and Broad Ripple together, you would likely get Naperville.
So Naperville would be equal to both Carmel and BR?

Old 07-19-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Geeze. I didn't ask about the city. I asked about Naperville. Obviously the city of Chicago is going to have more going on. Naperville is closer to my work. I don't think Oak Brook has as much going on either.
You said Young Professionals, so that is what I based my recommendations on. My answer would have been different if you had asked for advice for families, or senior citizens, etc.

If it were me and I was looking for nightlife I would live in the city and take a train to work. There are lots of reverse commuters in Chicago area.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:42 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,358,184 times
The source of confusion is that you did not ask specifically about moving from IN to IL. Given that you posted this in the IN we naturally thought that you were moving from IL to IN and responded that way.

As I said, I don't know if Naperville has dance bars. I don't recall any 10 years ago. It's more a young professional (past the hitting the bars stage) family type place.

BTW--it's pretty bad form to admonish people that are voluntarily trying to answer your poorly worded question. Consider it a bit of professional advice.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
The source of confusion is that you did not ask specifically about moving from IN to IL. Given that you posted this in the IN we naturally thought that you were moving from IL to IN and responded that way.

As I said, I don't know if Naperville has dance bars. I don't recall any 10 years ago. It's more a young professional (past the hitting the bars stage) family type place.

BTW--it's pretty bad form to admonish people that are voluntarily trying to answer your poorly worded question. Consider it a bit of professional advice.
There was nothing poorly worded about my question. "How does living on the North side of indy compare to Naperville, IL for young professionals?" I specifically said "north side of Indy" and "Naperville". Why would anyone who is a young professional not live in Chicago if they were looking for a good night life if they could?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis