Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2012, 01:56 AM

3 posts, read 5,395 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Indy in the next couple of weeks for work from Southern Indiana across from Louisville, KY. From what I've gathered looking around online Washington Township seems to come highly recommended for the school system, but Perry Township has a lower student to teacher ratio. As a single mom with two elementary school students, I want to make sure they get the best education possible, but can't afford $1000s for rent a month. I'm even willing to look outside city limits in suburbia, I just don't know where to look. Can you guys guide me in a good general direction of where to look and what your opinions are of particular areas? Also, what are the Township borders for Perry? I found a good map for Washington, but other than knowing Southport, Stop11 Rd, and County Line Rd, I'm lost (went to a seminar at St. Francis Hospital and know that area from getting lost following a friends directions, damn back seat drivers).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 03:46 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,481,166 times
Approx. where are you going to work? That will impact any of my suggestions. I think people are crazy to work on the south side and live on the north side voluntarily especially with kids. There is great housing all over and great communities all over.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:49 AM

I'll be woring at the Indiana Blood Center. So just north of downtown, 34th and Meridian. I was up there yesterday and noticed the 34 North apartments next door. Is that a decent part of town? I like the idea of walking to work and saving wear and tear on my car.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:54 AM

Default Work location

I'll be woring at the Indiana Blood Center. So just north of downtown, 34th and Meridian. I was up there yesterday and noticed the 34 North apartments next door. Is that a decent part of town? I like the idea of walking to work and saving wear and tear on my car.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:19 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times
If you are living right on Meridian, you should be fine. Balmoral used to be very nice (don't know about now), but down on 27th is the Marott which people tend to really like living there.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:43 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,481,166 times
Ok downtown. You have a lot of areas within easy commute distance to choose from and now you can look at elementary schools and decide on housing second. The apartment building is well built and new. There is playground equipment in the back but not much of a yard.

Problem: Indpls Public Schools.

You can easily get to work using I65 from the south or north and you can drive in pretty easy from the west side. So maybe some others on the board can post about apartments that are family friendly and within good elementary school boundaries within a easy commute of 34th and Meridian.

Thanks for working with the blood center. The last time I donated was the morning of Sept. 11 when the twin towers were falling. I remember sitting being interviewed and crying about what was happening right at that moment.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:04 PM

640 posts, read 717,680 times
My folks live in Perry Township. One of the things that has impressed me about that area is that despite having an older demographic they are terribly civic minded. There seems to be a great deal of invoilvement in local politics, discussion and debate, and an understanding that a stable education system helps maintain stable property values.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:34 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
You might want to consider the westside suburbs, such as Avon or Brownsburg.

Excellent schools and an easy commute across 38th Street to the CIRBC.

I hear it's a great place to work - used to be a customer of mine (work on the Bloodmobiles) and a former business associate's ex wife worked there. She always spoke highly of the place.

I grew up in Perry Township and would agree with many of the comments; however, logistically the Blood Center would not be easy to get to from the Southside, in my opinion.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis