Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2012, 05:25 AM

114 posts, read 358,620 times

Advertisements

What does everyone think about the bus drivers calling in sick on Friday?
Is this going to happen again on Monday?
Does anyone know the starting pay of a Durham bus driver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 06:33 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,515,157 times
not sure of the starting pay however it would NOT surprise me if they are paid upwards of 50k a year.
IPS bus drivers need to do their job and stop %*#$(ing about their pay. This is a recession BE THANKFUL YOU HAVE A JOB!

Old 08-18-2012, 07:45 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,151,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
not sure of the starting pay however it would NOT surprise me if they are paid upwards of 50k a year.
IPS bus drivers need to do their job and stop %*#$(ing about their pay. This is a recession BE THANKFUL YOU HAVE A JOB!
You have a lot to learn. Bus drivers do not make near that and they work for an outside company. Ips had nothing to do with it. They were completely blindsided yesterday! Yet did what they had to do and effectively at that. Your state changes to unemployment set this off. Do not sit here and put the entire debacle on the employees of this company. They should not have left those kids stranded though.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:00 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
Quote:
This post really illustrates how far from reality and how uninformed your thinking and posts are.

$50,000/year???? Go to any career website. They might be making $12,000-13,000 a year part time. The required hours are such that it is difficult to hold another job. Early morning runs, off for a few hours, then afternoon runs.

msam is correct. They are not employed by IPS. IPS also was informed of this walk-off around noon from what I heard on the news last night.

While I don't like the idea of kids being put in the middle of this, it brought the attention it needed. If they would have walked out on the weekend would they have received any press?

It is frightening to me that such a young person has such firmly entrenched opinions. I would love to be a fly on the wall at that moment when you realize that you may actually be wrong about many things.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:20 AM

629 posts, read 771,941 times
I drove a bus part time for less than poverty level for 3 years. I never called in sick or went on strike

No excuses, do your job or we find someone who will

Old 08-18-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicane View Post
i drove a bus part time for less than poverty level for 3 years. I never called in sick or went on strike

no excuses, do your job or we find someone who will
+1

Thank you for driving my point home rather Msam and the others dont like it.
Do your job or get another one.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:23 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
"IF" that was your point, why in the world would you suggest a school bus driver makes $50,000/year? Again, so typical of ignorance.

Frankly, saying that one should just be happy to have a job, is a regressive view. Using this thinking, I suppose the child laborers in third world countries should just be happy to have a job which exploits them?

No need to improve conditions. No need to bring to the public attention the fact that their paychecks from Durham are arriving late?

Old 08-18-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
"IF" that was your point, why in the world would you suggest a school bus driver makes $50,000/year? Again, so typical of ignorance.

Frankly, saying that one should just be happy to have a job, is a regressive view. Using this thinking, I suppose the child laborers in third world countries should just be happy to have a job which exploits them?

No need to improve conditions. No need to bring to the public attention the fact that their paychecks from Durham are arriving late?
Why we are bringing Africa into the discussion............. really?
im talking the picture in America.
this isnt a debate about child labor and fair wages etc.
Were focusing on america and right now how many jobless there are out there.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:26 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
1) Bus drivers do not make 50K a year.

2) They were not complaining about their pay. They were complaining about unemployment issues during the summer and late paychecks.

I would invite you to educate yourself on the issue before spamming the board with off topic nonsense.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:56 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,151,479 times
Quote:
+1

Thank you for driving my point home rather Msam and the others dont like it.
Do your job or get another one.
Again you have a lot to learn. On an employee by employee basis yes suck it up. When it effects the masses and they in turn protest usually means deep systemic issues that just cant be ignored. You can fire everyone and you will have the same systemic issues with the next group who will in turn do the same thing. It is like every student failing a class. It's not them it's the instructor and his/her methods. You are a hs student still who may or may not hold a part time job for extra spending money. Once you are out in the workforce having to make a living, you will begin to understand more.

Good thing is everyone is seeing this wasn't an ips screw up this time unlike gary schools that also got thrown under the bus very first day of school by the company they contract with changing the route schedule the night before, not telling anyone and having the parents calling the school blasting them for something outside of their control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis