Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 06:43 AM

2 posts, read 5,506 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be moving to indianapolis this summer. We are trying to figure out where to live.

We currently live in south Denver. She will be working at IUPUI and I will work from home.

We are in our mid 30s and have no children. We do have a dog and she likes to go on walks. We are looking for a diverse neighborhood with parks, bars, restaurants, and bicycle paths. I would like to end up renting a house with a yard and garage.

Also, from various areas of indy, what is the public transportation like and would it be reasonable to take the bus to IUPUI?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 07:52 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
Others will chime in but I lived in Broad Ripple and in Butler Tarkington neighborhoods for years and for many of those, I took the bus to work.

Broad Ripple is full of bars, restaurants, interesting stores, farmers market, Monon Trail, sidewalks, lots of professionals with and without dogs and kids. Smaller older many renovated homes of all sizes and prices. I would love from 54th to 65th approx and from Butler University to Keystone. (there are nice homes outside but am trying to give a center area since you are unfamiliar with the area.

The area I gave covers everything from very expensive areas and smaller areas with one story homes. There are condos and some apartments, although not a huge number.

If you go to MIBOR and search down to Washington Township in Marion County, you can get an idea of homes buy looking at pictures of homes for sale.

It is only a 15 minute commute plus parking and walking in time from this area to IUPUI and there are a lot of alternative routes with and without one way streets to make it easier.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:12 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,274 times
Well your description of what you want pretty much defines Broad Ripple. Public transit isn't the easiest from there, but it also isn't the worst, and will definitely be increasing in the next couple of years.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,762 times
I know south Denver pretty well. Were you around Wash Park or somewhere else? For a Wash Park type feel, you'd probably like Broad Ripple. Butler-Tarkington is nice, but it doesn't have quite the commercial element with bars and restaurants. Meridian Kessler is an option. I'd also look at Irvington on the east side and Fountain Square just SE of downtown. You can get to IUPUI from Fountain Square on the Cultural Trail. It's really quite nice. You're gonna love the price of houses here. Good luck with your move.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:25 PM

2 posts, read 5,342 times
I am a real estate broker so I am VERY familiar with the different areas of Indy. I concur with the other posters. Broad Ripple sounds like the place for you. Village atmosphere, diverse, walkable, pet friendly, hip and downright fun.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:49 AM

2 posts, read 5,506 times
Thanks everyone.
And Regriding, I am in the platte park area now and like it.
When we first moved to Denver we lived near south broadway and first, near the Mayan theater. We liked that a lot and it sounds like broad ripple is similar.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:19 AM

2 posts, read 5,342 times
If you would like help finding housing please let me know. Just sold a beautiful condo there!

Old 03-18-2013, 02:53 PM

7 posts, read 9,776 times
Broadripple for sure. However if she works at IUPUI and would like to be closer, Mass Ave/Old Northside might also work. Mass Ave is young and hip, few artsy places and a straight shot to the Monon Trail/Broadripple.
I am about to leave in a couple of months but if I was staying on, I was seriously considering moving to Fletcher Place in Ft. Square. Eclectic group of people, some of my favorite places to eat and drink coffee. While I love Bripp, the nightlife there is college-worthy and can get noisy [NOT to say it is ONLY college kids that live/hang out there].
The culture trail is awesome and connects Mass Ave/Ft. Square and can get you to Broadripple/smack downtown very easily.
Good luck!!
The bus system is not the greatest in Indy and the commute from Bripp would be approx 25-35 mins depending on traffic. IUPUI parking is quite terrible and walking to almost any place on campus would be an additional 5-7 mins.
While it's no Denver, Indy is quite a nice place for a family!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis