Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 06:56 PM

4 posts, read 15,568 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! We are relocating to Indianapolis because of work opportunities at Butler university. Can you tell us anything about:

- Butler University (good and bad)

- Houses within walking distance of Butler university (how's the area?)

- Ideal places to buy a house if commuting to Butler University daily

- Any info or opinions on the Int'l School of Indiana that has a French program

- What areas/neighborhoods offer the best (and the most) family activities such as soccer leagues for boys and girls, music classes, dance classes, anything to accomodate children's interests

- Any information on the French club/French association

Thank you so much for reading this! Any advise and comment (positive AND negative) is welcomed and appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2006, 07:09 PM

77 posts, read 464,684 times
the only question I can address are the neighborhoods around Butler - they are quite nice, consisting of older, almost "Ivy League"-looking older homes, many cottage-type houses and peaceful, quiet streets lined with large mature hardwood trees. the area itself is one of Indy's more desireable locations, proximate to downtown, the artsy Broad Ripple area and the Indy art museum area. if I were to live in Indy again, the Butler area would one of my top choices. the campus is quite nice as well. bon chance!

Old 10-11-2006, 07:57 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,153,738 times
Ann&Frank
the Butler area is 'tres bien'. Houses are cheap around there compared to prices in France and your euros will go far.

if you want a nice house in Fishers which is a relatively short drive to Butler, I know someone who has one. she is Domergurl. Hope she reads this and contacts you.

au revoir et a bientot.

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 10-11-2006 at 08:05 AM..

Old 10-11-2006, 10:23 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
I sent them a pm ...

Old 10-11-2006, 10:48 AM

4 posts, read 15,568 times
Default more questions...

Thanks Southside Shrek, buzzkirk & domergurl for your insight! I really appreciate it. We have not yet signed a contract and the truth is that we are hesitante to move to Indiana since we keep hearing that it is not a very diverse/open-minded place. That scares us a little!

We currently live in Southern California where it's very liberal but the prices of houses are such that you need "mucho dinero" (ie lots of equity or cash) to get into the market.

We also read somewhere that Butler-Tarkington was a little sketchy. Is this true? We would love to be able to buy a home within walking distance of the University but we also feel that safety for our children is a priority.

Does anyone know how Indianapolis winters compare to Quebec weather? Does anyone know how Indianapolis compares to Dayton Ohio as far as being liberal and tolerant towards diversity?

Thank you again for your help! It sure helps!
Ann

Old 10-11-2006, 11:30 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann&frank View Post
Thanks Southside Shrek, buzzkirk & domergurl for your insight! I really appreciate it. We have not yet signed a contract and the truth is that we are hesitante to move to Indiana since we keep hearing that it is not a very diverse/open-minded place. That scares us a little!

We currently live in Southern California where it's very liberal but the prices of houses are such that you need "mucho dinero" (ie lots of equity or cash) to get into the market.

We also read somewhere that Butler-Tarkington was a little sketchy. Is this true? We would love to be able to buy a home within walking distance of the University but we also feel that safety for our children is a priority.

Does anyone know how Indianapolis winters compare to Quebec weather? Does anyone know how Indianapolis compares to Dayton Ohio as far as being liberal and tolerant towards diversity?

Thank you again for your help! It sure helps!
Ann
Wow .. Indianapolis compared to Quebec .... a better comparison would be Chicago to Indianapolis. But anyway .... Indianapolis doensn't get as much snow. We'll get dumped on a couple times where school will be cancelled, but for the most part, it's not bad at all, but again, I grew up north of here. It gets icy here sometimes too, which is different from where I grew up. It's easier for me to drive on snow than ice. But most cities have the salt trucks on the ready since that kind of weather is pretty predictable. Now tornados ... well ... we don't have many of them. At least they, unlike earthquakes, are predictible as well.

As for being liberal, yes, Indiana is conservative politically, but you'll find like minded folks as well (well, me and Shrek anyway ). You may want to look into Bloomington, home of Indiana University. It's much more liberal friendly and they do have culture that you won't find here and the food is better!

Don't discount the Hoosier state. It's not as bad as non-hoosiers make it out to be. You will be miserable here if you have that on your mind when you get here, but it's really what you make of it. I came back to Indiana after having lived in Chicago for a decade. I love that city and all the things associated with that great city, but I much prefer raising my family here in Indiana. It's safe, cheap and if you want to go to Chicago or anywhere else, you can do it on your own terms. You won't be trapped here.

Old 10-11-2006, 04:11 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,153,738 times
Ann and Frank
there are quite a lot of open minded, nice, kind, and diverse people living in and around Indy. It is not a 'redneck hick' area. I would definitely select Indy over Dayton. All of my French friends who have visited Indy were favorably impressed.

Winters in Indy are far gentler than the ones up in Quebec. However if you are seeking more French presence, Quebec would be the city for you. Keep in mind though that many French Canadians go to Florida to escape the cold and harsh Canadian winters.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:13 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,761,065 times
Twenty years ago the Butler Tarkington prided itself with being the only truly integrated neighborhood in Indiana. It was a great place with safe shaded streets and friendly neighbors. Sadly, I have been told that the area has taken a turn for the worst. Like Buzzkirk said Broad Ripple is just to the east but the areas to the west and north aren't as nice.
Indy gets a bad rap for being overly conservative. Give it a try. I challange you to find friendlier people unless you go to Dallas.

Old 10-12-2006, 04:43 AM

458 posts, read 2,290,515 times
Default Europeans

I have no personal experience with IN although I am considering Bloomington as an option for our family, but I have Danish friends who moved to Noblesville and although they, too, lament the lack of diversity, they very much enjoy the friendliness of their neighbors and the small town life. (This is of course a suburb and not the city, but they like IN.)

Old 10-15-2006, 02:00 AM

1 posts, read 5,150 times
There is Rocky Ripple just over the canal from Butler that is still quiet and safe. The people are fairly open minded and are good neighbors. Bad news is parts of it floods maybe once or twoce a year but it is still near Broad Ripple (bars, shopping, groceries). The commute is literally down a bike path and over the bridge to campus!
The neighborhoods to the north and east of campus are pretty expensive and safe and if it is too ritzy there are plenty of rental properties around the campus for the students. The neighborhood only gets sketchy 5 or 6 blocks south of campus but there is a weed to seed project underway that is cleaning up the area and making it better to live in. South of 38th street however and all bets are off!!
The International School is great for younger kids and especially now that they are expanding to high school age. Wish I could tell you more but my sister went (I got a Montessori education) and loved how easy languages are for her now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis