Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Do You Think Of The Carmel City Center?
Amazing 2 10.53%
Good Looking 8 42.11%
Its Okay 1 5.26%
Not A Fan 5 26.32%
Hate It 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 03:46 PM

69 posts, read 118,779 times

Advertisements

The City Center is a building in Carmel and I personally love the design of it. I have heard some people ridicule it for being an odd building with mix-mashed architectural styles. One person even said that the architect must be crazy to design something as ugly as it. Just because I'm curious I want to know some peoples thoughts on the looks of it.
Here are some links to some pictures:
http://www.carmelcitycenter.com/wp-c...4738505505.jpg
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/sites...1_002.jpghttp:
http://carmel-indiana.funcityfinder....18-300x198.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 05:00 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,300,247 times
Seems appropriate for Carmel.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:12 AM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times
I drive by it every day and I think it's just ugly and way out of place.

I get the mixed use thing, but this is too big to be traditional mixed use. It's more of a monument really. Parking at Langton's (new place) and Matt the Miller's is very limited unless you parking in the little strip lot across the street or go to the garage underneath it.

It's certainly unique, but it isn't my thing at all.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:02 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,607,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

I get the mixed use thing, but this is too big to be traditional mixed use. It's more of a monument really. Parking at Langton's (new place) and Matt the Miller's is very limited unless you parking in the little strip lot across the street or go to the garage underneath it.

I don't what "traditional mixed use" is, but this project is not too big at all. I agree that it looks out of place for now, but Carmel's master plan calls for a cohesive Downtown from the Arts & Design District to the area south of City Center. Once more of the area is developed, it will fit in.

Why do I constantly hear people in Carmel complain about a lack of parking? Do people up there not get the concept of parking garages? Carmel is actually my favorite place to park because my car is in a protected garage that I can park in for free. City Center parking is not limited at all, it's in the garage you referenced underneath the building. I think they even offer complimentary valet parking much of the time. If it's too much of an inconvenience for people to take an elevator or stairs from a parking garage underneath a building to that same building's ground floor, then Carmel has wasted its time and money building a Downtown in the first place.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:40 AM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
I don't what "traditional mixed use" is, but this project is not too big at all. I agree that it looks out of place for now, but Carmel's master plan calls for a cohesive Downtown from the Arts & Design District to the area south of City Center. Once more of the area is developed, it will fit in.

Why do I constantly hear people in Carmel complain about a lack of parking? Do people up there not get the concept of parking garages? Carmel is actually my favorite place to park because my car is in a protected garage that I can park in for free. City Center parking is not limited at all, it's in the garage you referenced underneath the building. I think they even offer complimentary valet parking much of the time. If it's too much of an inconvenience for people to take an elevator or stairs from a parking garage underneath a building to that same building's ground floor, then Carmel has wasted its time and money building a Downtown in the first place.
The scale of the building just seems to be too big for what you normally see in mixed use developments.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:11 PM

129 posts, read 166,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

Parking is not limited at all, you said yourself there is a parking garage. So freaking park in it.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:34 PM

236 posts, read 319,433 times
From an outsider's point of view, it looks fake. Reminds me of the crap architecture of Vegas. Why not build an actual city block with parking behind the buildings?

Old 09-09-2015, 01:03 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,860,573 times
I enjoy the covered parking. Where else can you park in an actual parking garage for free? Certainly not Indy.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:09 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,271,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I enjoy the covered parking. Where else can you park in an actual parking garage for free? Certainly not Indy.
The Fashion Mall and Indianapolis Museum of Art are a couple places that immediately come to mind that have free garages.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:14 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,300,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
The Fashion Mall and Indianapolis Museum of Art are a couple places that immediately come to mind that have free garages.
Also The Children's Museum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis