Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 11:15 PM

64 posts, read 273,425 times

Advertisements

7 % "ASIAN" not Chinese.
I would never recommend a move from California to IN.
maybe to the suburbs of Chicago but not Indy a no place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 06:29 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien! View Post
Almost always some unpleasant wind being around.
The Prices: home prices way less than Orange county.
I'm sorry, but what's with the complaining about the wind??? Seriously ... I've never heard anyone complain about it being windy here. You'd really hate Chicago or NW Indiana if you think it's windy down here. Unpleasant wind? Unpleasant odors ... yea, unpleasant ice storms, sure ... but unpleasant wind? Isn't SoCal burdened by the Santa Ana's? I've heard those winds are pretty fierce.

Sorry, don't mean to harp, but this is the second thread you've mentioned that wind is unpleasant. Maybe we should let T. Boone Pickens know about it.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:59 AM

445 posts, read 1,810,424 times
Thanks for everyones input. I would be worried about the weather, afterall i am a california native. BUT i just think California is too easy going with our budget, immigration issues, our pollution is horrible (riverside county) and everyone is stuck in a fish bowl of a life to make car payments and house payments. WHile that is not our siutaion, we just want a better life for our famliy. California is too liberal for us, i am new to learning about God, although my mom came from a strong Christian family, and i don't want my kids to go to school to learn that same sex marriage is just like a man and wife marriage, it is not. Also our school system is less than to be desired, it did not used to be so bad, i tell my husband that byt the time my oldest is out of high school ( he just started 9th grade) they will offer English as a second language!!! It is ridiculous.... while i could go on and on about things in california, i won't...

Just wanted to gather some thoughts on peopl who have experienced a move to Indiana from California...I don't know if the weather is good fro our line of business, i think we need more dry days, as we own a landscape/concret company, we are self employed, and my husband has been doing this business since he was 14. He started out mowing lawns, and then went from there. We have been very successful in this field, but tha market has definately slowed, but in aplace where weather is a huge factor, that may be hard. Also he has NEVER worked for someone or a company, other than our own, so that is not too much of an option, he would not make it!!!

thanks again!!

Old 08-19-2008, 12:11 PM

891 posts, read 2,450,761 times
A lot of those who do landscaping also plow snow in the winter time to supplement their income and also to keep themselves busy during the cold months - also you have the truck for it, so you just have to buy the plow. (If winter is snowy you can make a ton of $$ in a single day if you have the jobs. Of course you never know how much snow we are going to get.

The weather isn't great here, no doubt - but it is nice to have a variety - the times I've visisted CA - it always seemed to me that it was too sunny - too bright

Old 08-19-2008, 12:16 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
I agree with BU ... plus, if you guys know how to build a brick patio, let me know! I can't find anyone!!! In any event, your line of work shouldn't prevent you from doing landscaping in Indiana.

Old 09-07-2020, 07:08 AM

4 posts, read 3,747 times
Default Lowest Cost of Living is in East Central Indiana

In case people still read these posts... Indiana has some nice smaller cities and small towns. You can build a 3 bedroom house on a few acres in East Central Indiana for around $250,000. An decent older home can be found for between $50,000 and $200,000 depending on where you're going in the state. Starter homes can easily be found for $50,000 in a safe and quiet neighborhood. I think people from Southern California have a hard time grasping just how inexpensive it is.

The weather's generally mild for most of the year but the winter weather from late November to March can be brutal at times. Another possible glitch is that in some parts of Indiana, especially small towns, people from outside the state are treated as if they're very exotic until people get to know them. They get a lot of extra attention.

People here mentioned Carmel and Fishers but these two suburbs of Indianapolis are, by far, the most expensive and least charming places in the state. They do have more amenities and better infrastructure than other places. People elsewhere tend to drive a long way to get to areas like that for shopping and entertainment. I think if you must be near Indianapolis for work you should try Zionsville or Avon. Both have good schools but aren't as hectic and sprawling as the northern suburbs.

Old 09-07-2020, 03:55 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
Here's a heck of a deal in Zionsville for anyone who's looking. Needs a little love, but otherwise...

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7_M49358-11793

RM

Old 09-07-2020, 04:18 PM

4,603 posts, read 6,366,715 times
Just for the record, Carmel is not pronounced like you are accustomed...as in Car-Mel, said in two syllables... in Indiana it is Carmull, said in one syllable.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 09-22-2020, 03:00 AM

89 posts, read 113,653 times
I did, im from San Diego lived there 30 plus years.

I git tired of the traffic taxes and people.

I love indiana its affordable the people are nice. And if the weather is crappy I can afford to jump in a plane and go vacation some where sunny.

Old 09-22-2020, 06:19 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,009,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahp45 View Post
I did, im from San Diego lived there 30 plus years.

I git tired of the traffic taxes and people.

I love indiana its affordable the people are nice. And if the weather is crappy I can afford to jump in a plane and go vacation some where sunny.
This is sort of the mentality that I've seen a number of people have over the years and I think it's smart. I remember taking a ski trip with my brothers and their friends back when I was right out of college and we stayed at one of my brothers friends grandparents places. My brothers friends father came with us and he owned a business in Indianapolis and lived in the area and had the same thinking. He said it was so affordable he could travel pretty much anywhere due to the cost of living.

We just moved to the southside (close to Franklin) after living in Chicago (and Nashville before that) and I have to say my wife and I are enjoying it quite a bit. There is a bit of culture shock, but it's not bad, just takes getting used to. Everyone is friendly and there are some really nice areas once you get far south enough from Indy. I haven't lived in California myself but after living in/near two real popular high COL cities we are glad to be gone from the craziness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis