Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2007, 08:33 AM

5 posts, read 19,679 times

Advertisements

Does Zionsville have much for amenities? Where would be the closest commercial district and what is that neighborhood like? Right now I live in a nice small town outside a major centre, we don't have much for amenities and I don't mind that so much except when I go 'into the big city' the closest area to me is the worst part of town, gangs, drugs, and hookers. When I take my kids to the doctor, library, pool, mall we either need to drive for half an hour or dodge the bullets. If we move to Zionsville or Eagle Creek what are the areas of Indy like that we would be neighbors with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 11:21 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,741,511 times
Zionsville is a beautiful town with it's own town center. Schools are excellent and it's a short drive to downtown Indy. There's more building going on where Zionsville and West Carmel is starting to blend together.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:11 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,483,893 times
Zionsville has a cute little downtown. A variety of restaurants (the sandwich shop appeared to be where everyone gathers. Good food and lots of families). Brick street and gift shops but not too much of other things. It is but a very! short drive down 334 to Michigan St (421 I think) to a huge brand new set of strip malls including a Supertarget and a little further down the road to Walmart, Sams, Trader Joes, etc at the corner of 86th and Michigan.

There is another area of strip malls including the post office on the other side of downtown Zionsville. With this amount of shops available, you would do less driving than I do while living in downtown Indy.

All these areas I would consider very safe and easy to access. The roads have been much improved and you have missed the heavy construction times.

The only area even somewhat near what you are talking about is 38th Street and Lafayette Road where the Lafayette Sq. Mall is. It is a high crime area per the police statistics but you dont have to go there unless you want to. I feel fairly comfortable during the day and this area has lots of ethnic eateries and ethnic grocery stores. As you can see, the area around 86th Street is a long long way from 38th. If you do need a mall, you would go east to Castleton Square on the Northeast corner. It is very quick on the Interstate.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:53 AM

5 posts, read 19,679 times
Ok, Thanks. The crime stats for Indy seem quite high but I read somewhere (maybe even somewhere in this forum?) that there are isolated areas with very, very high crime that push the stats up for the entire city. Does that sound accurate?

Old 05-11-2007, 05:19 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,483,893 times
That is very very accurate. I attended several police community meetings for our neighborhood and they could tell you specificially the areas with the most crime. There was a big black blot over Laf. Square and it might have been due to shoplifting crimes in the mall but the news has had several sensational articles about crime in the parking lot. The police are very responsive to people's issues and available to talk to. Gang activity seems to be concentrated in certain areas.

I feel very safe downtown walkiing and being out. Far safer than downtown San Francisco.

I still leave all my doors locked and am sensitive to the possibility of crime in any area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis