Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 08:42 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times

Advertisements

How a Pas5woRd Can Sink Your Company
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 08:58 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
If you use the same password for many sites, all a hacker has to do is get your password at any one site — and some site out there somewhere is doing a lousy job of protecting your password — and he’s got it for all of your sites and accounts.
That's an important thing to note, someone could gain access to the database of a site like this and get your passwords. vB the software used here like a lot of other web applications that require passwords encrypt them with the password itself being the key but the security of this encryption varies, worse case it's stored as plain text which offers no protection.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:46 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,768,824 times
Recently I downloaded 1Password : Welcome to Agile Web Solutions and am finding it to be an elegant and very well crafted solution to the password problem.
In my opinion its well worth the $$ to have this technology working for me in my iMac. Now I never have to worry about insufficient passwords OR remembering any passwords! After it's set up, just one click at the point of the login page and I'm in.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:09 AM

You don;t have to pay $$$, Keepass will do same thing and it's free.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You don;t have to pay $$$, Keepass will do same thing and it's free.
Well I looked at it a little and think that comparing this application to 1Password is a little like comparing apples to oranges.

You get what you pay for.

Did you go and really look at 1Password? I

f you did, you read about their Strong Password Generator which is a great way of
getting rid of all of one's previous really weak passwords, in many cases which have
been used over and over at many sites. I know I did this, because of having to remember the password.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Well I looked at it a little and think that comparing this application to 1Password is a little like comparing apples to oranges.
The difference being?

Quote:
You get what you pay for.
Generally I would agree but there is many applications out there offered fro free that do quite nicely and in some cases better than many pay for apps.

Quote:
f you did, you read about their Strong Password Generator which is a great way of
Keepass has a password generator, it's customizable if you want specific types of passwords like leaving out the o,0,l,i etc.

While on the topic if you just want passwords generated you can get them here:
https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

Old 10-26-2010, 03:47 PM

^^ Oops, when I looked at the site, I didn't see any password generator. But if you say it's there, it must be so.

Also I will say that I wanted an application which was designed precisely for the Mac OS, and 1Password is that. Only recently (or is it soon....) have they/will they come out with a Windows version. Which is nice for the Windows people.

But.....did you ever go and read on the website? Just wondering.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
^^ Oops, when I looked at the site, I didn't see any password generator. But if you say it's there, it must be so.

It does just about anything you want it too, you can even attach files to entries, add notes etc.

Quote:
Also I will say that I wanted an application which was designed precisely for the Mac OS, and 1Password is that.
Don't see a Mac version for Keepass.
Quote:
But.....did you ever go and read on the website? Just wondering.
Checked it out, they do have beta version for windows. I have no interest because Keepass does what I need.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:32 AM

Well it's great that we've each found what we need to make our systems secure. For years I was messin' along without paying attention to this stuff, so I'm thankful to have found 1Password before anything ugly happened. Can't be too careful these days, I'm sure.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:10 AM

783 posts, read 2,258,295 times
What on earth are you folks protecting? A password on your system? On websites like this one? So what if someone were to log in here as you and post a bunch of nonsense? It's not going to ruin your life.

If you are doing banking online on a windows machine, all the password tools in the world aren't going to protect you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet