Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2011, 10:51 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,231,683 times

Advertisements

go to google, perform a search, click on result and get taken to some other site.
For example:
search for Detroit Red Wings standings
Click on result: redwings.nhl.com/club/standings.htm
Get a content Loading error Problem loading page, try again box
click try again and
get taken to some other website, shopcompare.net, booksomething, lists of results type sites (I hate those)

Somethings work, others don't

Other issue - my google search results seem off. Lots of crap sites on the first page.

I tried to get to You tube yesterday and couldn't get there unless I created a google account....have I been infected?

Edit - Argh! Type foodnetwork.com in url box. Perform search. Click on Alton Brown soup recipe - get Kmart.com. Click back,
click on recipe again, get taken somewhere else!

second edit - cleared all histories and cookies. Thought I had it liked for a minute. But am getting content encoding error/problem loading page, try again - which takes me to..this time to dove.us
sigh

I have a free Malware scan, ran that was ok.

Last edited by Giesela; 03-13-2011 at 12:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 03:52 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,020,328 times
Run scans with Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware, if they don't get it straightened out run tdss killer, How to remove malware belonging to the family Rootkit.Win32.TDSS (aka Tidserv, TDSServ, Alureon)?

If that doesn't work I've found that combofix almost always gets rid of it, but it may not run if you have certain anti-virus apps installed, and may render your computer unbootable if you have certain infections, so try that one at your own risk.
A guide and tutorial on using ComboFix

Old 03-15-2011, 05:10 AM

Ran the free SuperAntiSpyware - it seemed to find 2 things (2 boxes checked) I ran the delete files and now the computer seems to be caught in a boot cycle - starts up, then hangs up on Windows screen, shuts down, starts over.

Any ideas?
If not
Do I take it to Block buster or some other store "geek" squad?

Thanks,

Old 03-15-2011, 05:17 AM

I'm assuming your runnning Windows XP, see if it will boot to safe mode A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP

Under no circumstances should it go to best buy!

Old 03-16-2011, 04:27 AM

Well I went home and did the f8 thing as per instructions at the link. From there I tried a variety of choices, all of which resulted in the boot process being caught in the same loop. So no joy.

I'm not sure what exactly I got with the Netbook in terms of documentation etc. There isn't a drive so not sure how you reload without getting on the web.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:31 AM

Sounds like what ever malware you had modified some system files and SAS may not have fully corrected the damge, rare with that app but it happens. Did the netbook come with any kind of recovery CD? What model is it? You'll have to use a usb CD drive, or find a reputable shop to finish the repars.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:49 PM

So I bought a USB CD drive and while looking at the Netbook instructions I found this:

Using Hard Disk Partition
The recovery partition includes an image of your operating system.................
press f9 during boot up..........

So does this mean I didn't need the USB CD and OS disk? I used them since I had it attached.

Meanwhile....since I'm way out of "practice" I got the OS loaded but need to figure out the wireless network (I had Best Buy do that for me when I bought the wireless router and have no idea?
Free protection?
I did download Firefox again tho thats what I was using before, guess its still maybe a smidgen safer than IE

Thanks

Old 03-17-2011, 05:28 PM

You must be a guy, read the manual after you try to fix it

The onboard recovery would have reloaded the OS and drivers without the need for the CD drive. If your wi-fi is encrypted you'll need the key to connect, did worst buy give you any documentation on how they set it up?

For a free AV app I'd recommend Microsoft Security Essentials.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:49 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,063,390 times
That happened to me a couple years ago. I never found a solution, didn't really try anything drastic, and after a few days it corrected itself. I can't recall, but I think it might have been in one browser, but not the other one (FF or IE).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet