Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 03:59 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
the internet already takes up too much of my time, why would I want more?
I would love, love, love it if you went into detail about this quoted text.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 04:04 PM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I am not afraid anymore... I KNOW, I am addicted
( not to a cell phone which I use very little, but to computer Internet )

Old 04-24-2012, 08:00 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Food for thought (and the major reason I don't want more electronic gadgetry in my life. I want to live life, not spend it on the 'net--at least more than I already do!

“In the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine...we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry and playthings that divert our attention from the sheer idiocy of the charade. The years thunder by. The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked on the shelves of patience. Before we know it the tomb is sealed...When you consider the beauty there is in the world, the rapture that can be known, the honest relationships, the excitement and exaltation there is for the taking...the real things to look at and feel and read...Where, then, lies the answer? In choice."

--Sterling Hayden

Old 04-24-2012, 11:31 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
I'm not worried about being addicted to the internet because I AM addicted to the internet. Considering the town in which 15 years of my life were wasted as a student, with a biased newspaper and two TV stations, I find the internet to be quite revealing of a much larger world. Had I only known I'd have skipped graduation ceremonies and joined the Army straight away.

Now the internet is where I start my day and keep up with events in that larger world. I receive and pay bills. I communicate with friends and relatives in other locations. And while watching a series on WWI, I was able to follow the battle locations using google maps by wifi on my smartphone. And when my TV goes into rain fade during a storm, I can watch progress on the weather underground by internet.

I'm not really addicted, it's more a lifestyle. And Sir Branson can beam me up any time he's ready, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_Galactic.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:19 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
^^^ Exactly

Old 04-25-2012, 01:03 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
I'm not worried about being addicted to the internet because I AM addicted to the internet. Considering the town in which 15 years of my life were wasted as a student, with a biased newspaper and two TV stations, I find the internet to be quite revealing of a much larger world. Had I only known I'd have skipped graduation ceremonies and joined the Army straight away.

Now the internet is where I start my day and keep up with events in that larger world. I receive and pay bills. I communicate with friends and relatives in other locations. And while watching a series on WWI, I was able to follow the battle locations using google maps by wifi on my smartphone. And when my TV goes into rain fade during a storm, I can watch progress on the weather underground by internet.

I'm not really addicted, it's more a lifestyle. And Sir Branson can beam me up any time he's ready, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_Galactic.
Interesting planes...

Old 04-30-2012, 04:39 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,232,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
A normal person if they want peace and solitude would turn their Smartphone's ringer and vibrator off, but that seems to be beyond the author's technical and mental abilities...
I disagree. Even with the ringer and vibrator off, people still get addicted to noodling with those things wherever they go. It looks rather sad to people such as myself.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:43 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times
I am addicted

Old 04-30-2012, 06:44 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
I disagree. Even with the ringer and vibrator off, people still get addicted to noodling with those things wherever they go. It looks rather sad to people such as myself.
So you see two extremes, then? You see black and white on this issue? Either you have a smartphone and are addicted and never put it down, or you don't have one and are superior for it?

Seems overly ignorant to me.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:50 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
I was addicted when the internet was new and I was young. Now it is just a part of life. A part I could live without, but don't want to or need to.

I help run a Saab website. 30 years ago you were lucky if you knew 10 other "Saab people" in your area. Today, I knows 1,000's!!!
Bringing people together is a good feature of the internet...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet