Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 08:06 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,241,496 times

Advertisements

Can anyone suggest a web site or discussion board for resolving AOL mail problems? I have AOL 9.7. Free account. I get what I pay for. LOL.
AOL does not display my old mail. I also access AOL mail through Windows mail. My old mail is available on Windows mail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 08:08 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,302,084 times
How about here?
http://www.city-data.com/forum/internet/

Old 05-12-2012, 08:08 AM

43,348 posts, read 77,219,919 times
Have you tried CityData?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/computers/

There are some pretty smart fellers hanging out there.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:09 AM

43,348 posts, read 77,219,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaquish View Post
have you tried citydata?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/computers/

There are some pretty smart fellers hanging out there.

Seems like a good idea!

Old 05-12-2012, 08:10 AM

WOW. quick responses. thank you. I could not find that thread.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:11 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,844,967 times
Moved to Internet forum ...

Old 05-12-2012, 08:47 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,671,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecomet View Post
Can anyone suggest a web site or discussion board for resolving AOL mail problems? I have AOL 9.7. Free account. I get what I pay for. LOL.
AOL does not display my old mail. I also access AOL mail through Windows mail. My old mail is available on Windows mail.
If you have attached a mail client to the account (Assuming you're using Live Mail, or Windows Mail) then it will download all of the messages to the client, and remove them from the server. This is by design, since most people that use mail clients don't use the web interface for the most part, or want to have the messages on their computer for safe keeping and not leave them on the mail server.

There is no way to get them back in AOL mail on the web site, but you can have the mail client leave a copy of all new messages on the web site if you want by adjusting some settings.

Let us know what Operating System you are using (Windows XP / Windows Vista / Windows 7), and double check the name of the mail program (usually in the window that you get by clicking on the "Help" menu, and the "About" option), and I'm sure we can get you to the right place to change the setting if that's what you want.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:03 AM

Vista 6.0. Windows Mail 6.0. IE 9.0 AOL 9.7
I really appreciate your assistance

Old 05-12-2012, 09:38 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,109,437 times
In the Windows Email Client set it to IMAP:

How do I use other email applications to send and receive mail from my AOL Mail account? - AOL Help

IMAP uses the server for storage similar to the web interface, POP uses your local computer for storage. Using POP once downloaded they are deleted from the server hence the reason the older ones are no longer available through the web interface.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:01 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,382,341 times
I will never understand why people would willingly use the worst freemail service there is, from the formerly worst ISP there ever was, with the arguably worst browser known to man, on what most would consider to be the worst OS of all time!!!

My advice is to use a different email provider. AOL not only sucks because it doesn't work properly, it pre-emptively blocks lots of legitimate mail from reaching you because they don't want to be forced to process spam so they just block everything. And the mail they do let through is often delayed quite a long time.

There's not a whole of of freemail services I would recommend but Yahoo is better. Lots of people like Gmail as well. Whatever you do, avoid hotmail/live.

And you really should consider getting a better web browser. With Exploder 9, they finally figured out how to properly display wc3 standards compliant html 4 (It's about time, congrats Microsoft! Now your browser can display most sites created in 2005!), but it's still buggy, slow and the least secure. You can't put any add-ons or extentions on it. In short, you are missing out. IE makes web developers' lives hell because there are so many hacks and fixes that have to be done to web sites to make them look in IE the same as they do in every other browser.

So just do yourself a favor and get with the 21st century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet