Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2010, 06:50 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,445,992 times

Advertisements

I've been using Yahoo e-mail for my rescue. I've found lately that they keep blocking me e-mails, refusing to send them. I get a message saying they've temporarily suspended my account because it's triggered some spam filter because I either send / receive too many e-mails, or because I send e-mails to too many people at one time.

I'm in the middle of two big messes right now and both are time sensitive with animal's lives on the line. I can't get my freaking e-mails out!!!! I've written Yahoo in the past, explained it's a rescue account and there is a large amount of info that passes in and out of my account. I've asked if there is anything I can do to not have my e-mails blocked like this, as it frequently means the difference between life and death for these animals. I've never gotten a reply. I'll do anything to stop this crap, but I need these e-mails out now!!

So, I"m just about done. Considering there is a lot of 'traffic' in and out of my account, can anyone suggest a provider that won't blindly block the e-mails?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 08:07 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,141,331 times
What Yahoo's not telling you is that people are probably reporting your emails as spam when they receive them at their provider. No email provider is going to put up with that. You may need to refresh your lists and give people a better opportunity to opt out of your messages.

Another option to consider is to move your operation to the social networking site Facebook.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:33 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,142,266 times
Sounds like an email list would suit you better than what you're doing now. Try YahooGroups.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:52 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,445,992 times
I can't imagine anyone's reported them as spam. It's all rescues, transporters, shelters and boarders that I work with on a regular basis. I get the same e-mails from them. That just wouldn't make sense. If that's the case though, is there a way to find out who's reporting it so they can be removed from the distribution list?

I have no clue what Yahoo Groups is, but if I did something like that, would it be an e-mail? There's a lot of confidential info that gets sent and I don't want anyone to be able to just stumble upon it.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:23 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,142,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I can't imagine anyone's reported them as spam. It's all rescues, transporters, shelters and boarders that I work with on a regular basis. I get the same e-mails from them. That just wouldn't make sense. If that's the case though, is there a way to find out who's reporting it so they can be removed from the distribution list?
The messages don't have to be reported as spam - there are automated systems that look at a lot of different factors when classifying messages as spam or ham (non-spam).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I have no clue what Yahoo Groups is, but if I did something like that, would it be an e-mail? There's a lot of confidential info that gets sent and I don't want anyone to be able to just stumble upon it.
Then you don't want YahooGroups. It's a mailing list system.

Does your group/organization have a web site? You could run a message forum or some such application on the site and handle messaging internally.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:09 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,935,970 times
Doesn't your internet service provider offer you a few emails with your account?

Old 01-21-2010, 05:56 AM

6,593 posts, read 11,307,620 times
How many people are you sending email out at once? If you do this enough, it becomes mass mailings - and there are implications with mass mailings, especially when using private/individual accounts (since most are considered SPAM). If you have a legitimate organization that sends out mass mailings often, you may want to check the FTC site on guidelines (as well as spamhaus guidelines). There is a proper way to do this to minimize interruptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet