Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 02:48 AM

221 posts, read 357,884 times

Advertisements

I guess twitter does not want to hear these guys and is blocking them.

Twitter blocks content of German neo-Nazi group - CNN.com

I have a question for the forum:
Does freedom of speech apply for the internet ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 03:19 AM

642 posts, read 1,170,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobears View Post
I guess twitter does not want to hear these guys and is blocking them.

Twitter blocks content of German neo-Nazi group - CNN.com

I have a question for the forum:
Of course free speech applies on the Internet. However when you sign up for almost any forum (city-data being one example), social networking or chat-room, you usually have to agree to their Terms of Service (TOS) before you commence posting. For C-D the link to these is displayed ate the top of each forum or sub-forum main page.

The TOS limits what you may post. Moderators may delete posted content that falls outside the terms of the TOS by which you agreed to be bound and you have no recompence. It is a simple as that.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:13 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
However when you sign up for almost any forum (city-data being one example), social networking or chat-room, you usually have to agree to their Terms of Service (TOS) before you commence posting...The TOS limits what you may post.
This. The owners of Twitter have every right to limit or block what people tweet within their system. Just as someone has the right to decide what they will allow or not allow inside their own home.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
This. The owners of Twitter have every right to limit or block what people tweet within their system. Just as someone has the right to decide what they will allow or not allow inside their own home.
Maybe we will see more of this from American companies .
should I stop using twitter because they are blocking freedom of speech?
or maybe City-Data or any other site I use on a daily basis,because they block and censor what people are allowed to say.
If the neo-Nazis were to use personal attacks or hate speeches on City-Data would they allow that on this site ?
So it's ok when American based companies do this to protect it's members or themselves.
I guess after all our freedom of speech is limited or blocked depending on what we say and where we say it.

Last edited by chicagobears; 11-13-2012 at 10:49 AM..

Old 11-13-2012, 11:59 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,636 times
Quote:
should I stop using twitter because they are blocking freedom of speech?
I fail to see how Twitter is blocking freedom of speech. They own the service; they have every right to monitor (or even block) the content posted on that service as they see fit. The ground rules (TOS) are stated when someone signs up for Twitter and then they agree to abide by those rules. If someone does not like it, they are free to start their own social media network and say whatever they want to there.

There is a huge difference between the owners of a privately-owned space placing rules around what and what is not allowed within that space (and giving people the option of accepting those rules as a condition of being there) and taking away an actual freedom of yours.

I have seen signs in shopping malls that say profanity is not permitted and violators of this rule can be asked to leave the premises. If I decide to start dropping the F-bomb in the food court and they tell me to knock it off or leave - are they blocking my freedom of speech?

Old 11-13-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
I fail to see how Twitter is blocking freedom of speech. They own the service; they have every right to monitor (or even block) the content posted on that service as they see fit. The ground rules (TOS) are stated when someone signs up for Twitter and then they agree to abide by those rules. If someone does not like it, they are free to start their own social media network and say whatever they want to there.

There is a huge difference between the owners of a privately-owned space placing rules around what and what is not allowed within that space (and giving people the option of accepting those rules as a condition of being there) and taking away an actual freedom of yours.

I have seen signs in shopping malls that say profanity is not permitted and violators of this rule can be asked to leave the premises. If I decide to start dropping the F-bomb in the food court and they tell me to knock it off or leave - are they blocking my freedom of speech?
so your saying that the internet is privately owned that we can't just say whatever we want ?
because the owners of twitter or city-data can censor or block what we say,
so what about freedom of speech on the internet is that possible ? can they make a law for that ?

Old 11-13-2012, 12:52 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
so your saying that the internet is privately owned that we can't just say whatever we want ?
so what about freedom of speech on the internet is that possible ? can they make a law for that ?
When you are using someone else's "space" to voice your opinions, then you must adhere to their TOS.

No one is prohibiting anyone from creating their own vehicle, such as Twitter or FaceBook, and devising their own terms of service which would allow such posts.

So no one has prohibited anyone's free speech.

People are free to post whatever they want to post - when they legitimately own the platform from which they are posting. Otherwise, they must honor the TOS of the "host" who is allowing them the "space" to post.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:56 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,193,931 times
Quote:
Are you talking about the right to freedom of speech guaranteed by the first amendment to the constitution?

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Twitter ain't Congress!

Old 11-13-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Are you talking about the right to freedom of speech guaranteed by the first amendment to the constitution?

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Twitter ain't Congress!
So American based online companies such as Twitter or City-Data or whoever can do whatever they want.
block out or censor whoever they want if they say things that break the rules... So that's how it works ok thanks.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:43 PM

1,241 posts, read 2,321,287 times
Quote:
It applies, for USA based companies, as far as the owner of a website or internet service allows it to apply!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet