Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 11:36 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times

Advertisements

OMG it is so much fun. Never will replace C-D of course, but fun nevertheless.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 05:40 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
Just watch out for that account infection that's running around, although I think it might be fixed now.
Lesser of two security evils: Twitter Web or third-party clients? | Social Business | ZDNet.com

[Edit] http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2345187,00.asp

Old 04-17-2009, 12:32 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
I just dont see the draw to this nonsense. Then again I still see text messaging as stupid, useless, lazyness and a waste of time.

I just went to that Twitter site to read up on what all the talk is about. Some how it seems about as boring as watching Golf or maybe watching grass grow

Old 04-17-2009, 01:31 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,997,721 times
What a nice, positive post, Desert Sun. I bet you're a real joy to be around. I don't use twitter much, but it can be fun. It's one of those things that requires a certain 'critical mass' of users you know for it to work well. It's just a method of communication, like any other. I suppose if you have nothing worth saying it might come off as useless nonsense, but it's not meant for everyone.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:26 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I just dont see the draw to this nonsense. Then again I still see text messaging as stupid, useless, lazyness and a waste of time.

I just went to that Twitter site to read up on what all the talk is about. Some how it seems about as boring as watching Golf or maybe watching grass grow
After a day of dealing with high-stressful matters, meetings, etc., it pleases me to do something a little mindless. I am more comfortable communicating in writing than verbally, hence I prefer to text than speak on a telephone. It is not a waste of time to me. Not only do I prefer writing than speaking, but I also have written record of what was said, very handy when you are going grocery shopping and have forgotten your list at home! LOL

If you get a good group of those you follow, and who follow you, then communicating to others can be a pleasure on Twitter. It does not require a huge time investment to keep in touch with friends and family. I grant you it is not for everyone, but I really enjoy it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-18-2009, 05:04 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,147,052 times
I agree with desertsun41. Why do people feel the obsessive need to be so "connected" all the time?

Old 04-18-2009, 06:18 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
I agree with desertsun41. Why do people feel the obsessive need to be so "connected" all the time?
I know. What ever happened to either connect with our mouth or even the old fashioned way....the phone.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:05 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
We've only just begun to see the potential in Twitter and similar technologies. This will be a very important concept in the years to come.

For instance, let's say you have a group that wants to organize a particular activity. Nobody in the group really knows each other very well, so they're not comfortable giving out personal contact information. With Twitter, the everyone in the group can keep each other updated - even with cellphone text messaging - without having to share their cellphone number.

Another example - this one from the real world - the Las Vegas police department uses twitter to send out notices when there's a person or car that they're looking for.

The potential uses for Twitter are virtually limitless. I'm currently building a web site/service that integrates with Twitter, and I expect that it'll bring in a nice little secondary (tertiary, actually) income from those willing to pay for it.

One doesn't have to be into the social networking scene to benefit from services like Twitter, and this will only become more evident as time goes on.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:26 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
No doubt the first telephone was seen as an unfathomable object.
I blog, and I like Facebook.
I joined Twitter over a year ago, but never could get into it. Just too micro for me.
But all social networking has its purpose. It sort of reminds me of cellphones.
I still don't own one, but I understand they have their uses.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:48 AM

1,597 posts, read 2,147,052 times
I can't imagine how society managed to make it this far without totally collapsing. I mean, we didn't have Twitter, MySpace, Facebook, cell phones, the internet, ipods, City Data, blah blah blah years ago. It's astonishing that people were able to make friends, communicate, or even exist at all.

*end sarcasm*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet