Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 12:13 PM

4 posts, read 12,505 times

Advertisements

Each time I restart Chrome, I have to tell it "Yes, make default browser," go into the disabled extensions, re-install my extentions, go into settings and check "continue where I left off," then go into my history and try to find the pages I was on when I accidentally close it.

Is there a way to make it remember my preferences and save my addons?

I recently quit Firefox because it was starting to crash on the "restore session" screen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 05:04 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,778,846 times
make sure you click apply or save.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:34 PM

8,342 posts, read 13,482,567 times
Is this a portable version of Google Chrome or installed version? The reason I am asking is it is almost like the preferences are not getting saved because either:
a) Default profile preference folder is missing/deleted
b) Local Windows user profile is corrupt (which might be the reason why Firefox was having issues too).

Anyhow, the default location for the "Preferences" file is this:
Quote:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Preferences
Yes, Preferences file doesn't have an extension but you can open it up using Notepad/Wordpad application.

So, browse to the:
Quote:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default
directory and have a look-see. If you see bunch of files and folder, including "Preferences" file then the some of them could be corrupt. You can do a fresh start simply by deleting everything at this location. Delete them to Recycle Bin for now but it is safe, Chrome automatically re-creates all needed files and folders at their default, clean state again then all you have to do is, customize it again (or attempt to do so) and check.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Is this a portable version of Google Chrome or installed version? The reason I am asking is it is almost like the preferences are not getting saved because either:
a) Default profile preference folder is missing/deleted
b) Local Windows user profile is corrupt (which might be the reason why Firefox was having issues too).

Anyhow, the default location for the "Preferences" file is this:

Yes, Preferences file doesn't have an extension but you can open it up using Notepad/Wordpad application.

So, browse to the:
directory and have a look-see. If you see bunch of files and folder, including "Preferences" file then the some of them could be corrupt. You can do a fresh start simply by deleting everything at this location. Delete them to Recycle Bin for now but it is safe, Chrome automatically re-creates all needed files and folders at their default, clean state again then all you have to do is, customize it again (or attempt to do so) and check.
That seemed to work, now I just need to painstakenly go through some of those moved files to retrieve the bookmarks from the last few days.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:56 AM

Okay, how do I find what I bookmarked just before making the backup? And where does too many tabs store its data?

Any way to make windows search inside all the files? I made a simple test and the computer failed it.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelekona View Post
Okay, how do I find what I bookmarked just before making the backup? And where does too many tabs store its data?

Any way to make windows search inside all the files? I made a simple test and the computer failed it.
My apologies, I should have suggested deleting just the Preferences file first which might have fixed the issue too.

Anyhow, assuming you have only deleted the contents of the "Default" folder to Recycle Bin, the file you are looking for is called Bookmarks (yes no file extension).
If you want, go into the current Default folder:
Quote:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default
and locate the Bookmarks file (if you do not see one, that is normal because I believe Chrome creates this file on the fly when you try to save your very first bookmark), and simply restore the one in Recycle Bin by right-clicking on the file and selecting Restore

If there is one, right-click on it and then select rename and rename it to something like Empty_Bookmarks
Then restore the old one from Recycle Bin by right-clicking on the file (the one in Recycle Bin) and selecting Restore

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 04-11-2013 at 10:31 AM..

Old 04-11-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
My apologies, I should have suggested deleting just the Preferences file first which might have fixed the issue too.

Anyhow, assuming you have only deleted the contents of the "Default" folder to Recycle Bin, the file you are looking for is called Bookmarks (yes no file extension).
If you want, go into the current Default folder:
and locate the Bookmarks file (if you do not see one, that is normal because I believe Chrome creates this file on the fly when you try to save your very first bookmark), and simply restore the one in Recycle Bin by right-clicking on the file and selecting Restore

If there is one, right-click on it and then select rename and rename it to something like Empty_Bookmarks
Then restore the old one from Recycle Bin by right-clicking on the file (the one in Recycle Bin) and selecting Restore
A little bit more complicated since I consider everything in the recycle bin to be gone forever and made an old-fashion backup... Just replacing the bookmark file after another backup seems to have restored a lot, though I still need to find the TMT collection.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:44 PM

61,903 posts, read 87,406,262 times
Use SpeedDial2 extension. ( Speed dial 2 - Google chrome extension ) You can sinc/import/export ( move from computer to computer) and save your settings.
Also go to settings and make it default browser.
If you want, after you install SpeedDial2 - click on icon, go to options, click on "Export settings" , highlight and copy everything what's in the box, and email it to yourself ( open your email , paste it in the email body and email it to yourself ). Should you ever lose your settings, just copy and paste them from your email.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelekona View Post
A little bit more complicated since I consider everything in the recycle bin to be gone forever and made an old-fashion backup... Just replacing the bookmark file after another backup seems to have restored a lot, though I still need to find the TMT collection.
Glad that worked. Technically, that is the only file and it should have brought back all your favorites/bookmarks that you had before. I am not sure what you meant by "finding the TMT collection", what is TMT collection?

Importing bookmarks, settings, etc. from another browser like FF or IE is not an issue using the Settings > Import bookmarks and settings... option but to actually have a backup/restore feature, an add-in as elnina mentioned is the way to go. Alternatively, when you log in to your gmail account, it can/does sync your data between PCs as well.

Also, I just noticed, if you click Options button (3 horizontal lines at the right top corner), then Bookmarks > Bookmark manager > Organize; you will have the option to "Import/Export Bookmarks from/to HTML file..."

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 04-11-2013 at 05:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet