Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 08:58 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times

Advertisements

I am not sure if this is the right forum, if not, Mods please move. Thank you!

I am getting a home built and they offer a new system where they can wire the home with ethernet cable with the modem going in the basement to a panel. Not sure of all the details but I forgot to ask him one question. On the second floor, would I be able to plug in a router for wireless devices that doesn't have ethernet capabilities to pick up on? I am thinking the signal might be weak all the way down in the basement and I have tried those plug in signal amplifiers in my current home with no success.

But since the new one will have ethernet ports that will be plugged into the modem...would a router work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 09:19 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
The device you would want is an "access point." Yes, it will work.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The device you would want is an "access point." Yes, it will work.
Buy an access point device and plug in into the ethernet port upstairs? What would I have to do next?

Old 03-05-2014, 09:26 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Don't go crazy with wires

In 1987, we wired our house (during renovation) with lots of data carrying wires.
Guess what? Technology changes.
So, in our new house this is what we have.

Basement
DSL twisted pair to modem.
Modem has 2 Ethernet ports.
Ethernet cables (2) up to wall outlets in home office. A total of 20 feet of cable.

Office (on first floor)
Ethernet switch plugged in Ethernet outlet 1.
Ethernet switch plugged in Ethernet outlet 2.
Ethernet cables to:
2 iMacs
1 printer
1 AirPort Extreme
I wanted the speed of the hardwired Ethernet as we download/upload a lot.

Living Room (on first floor)
Airport Express connected to stereo which is connected to the house speaker system.

Master bedroom (on second floor)
Airport Express to extend wireless range (used with iPads and iPhones)

We obviously use Apple hardware, but you can use any good brand.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:27 AM

836 posts, read 1,662,455 times
The instructions on many of them are real good or you can look online for help. Just buy a mainstream device from Walmart, Best Buy etc.

Doesn't have to be a pricy one. See which ones have a Wizard (now a genie) that will walk you thru the setup and it's pretty simple.

Here's a 2-minute video overview including Parental Controls:
NETGEAR Genie Overview - YouTube

You can also skip the wireless access and plug cables directly into your computer for higher security.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:31 AM

I just googled it and now will watch your link. I see now that there is a lot more available and simpler set up. I was thinking of when you turn an older router into an access point. Glad to see it's dumbed down for me.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:42 AM

843 posts, read 2,217,234 times
It sounds like they are proposing structured wiring for you house, I would highly recommend it. A search for 'structured wiring' will turn up a lot of information.

If you get Cat 6 max length is 100 meters, unless someone runs the wiring in a strange fashion or you have a mansion you should be fine.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
It sounds like they are proposing structured wiring for you house, I would highly recommend it. A search for 'structured wiring' will turn up a lot of information.

If you get Cat 6 max length is 100 meters, unless someone runs the wiring in a strange fashion or you have a mansion you should be fine.
For the wireless? I am a bit confused...

Old 03-05-2014, 10:13 AM

843 posts, read 2,217,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
For the wireless? I am a bit confused...
Your original post indicated:

"I am getting a home built and they offer a new system where they can wire the home with ethernet cable"

That's not wireless. Going wired is vastly superior to wireless, in particular with the spectrum getting more and more crowded. A combination is usually best, unless all the devices you have are not able to be plugged in (no desktops for example). And in that case you may still want ethernet wiring in the house so you can place access points in various areas to improve reception.

However it sounds like structured wiring for networking may be overkill and perhaps a waste of money in your case. If you're planning on selling the house in the future, getting Cat 6 run to all rooms and terminated in a wiring closet would likely ad some value to the house.... unless/until everybody moves to fiberoptic.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Your original post indicated:

"I am getting a home built and they offer a new system where they can wire the home with ethernet cable"

That's not wireless. Going wired is vastly superior to wireless, in particular with the spectrum getting more and more crowded. A combination is usually best, unless all the devices you have are not able to be plugged in (no desktops for example).
Right. I see the confusion now. I can see why it looked like I was considering the wiring when in fact it already comes with the house. I wasn't clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet