Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 11:55 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Unfortunately competition is slim to none in many areas. Other than Comcast I can choose DSL, satellite or dial up.
Have you looked into broadband services from Verizon Wireless, Sprint, AT&T and T-Mobile? If you live in a 4G area, it's a great alternative. I have Sprint Wimax that I use at my vacation home on the weekends. Works out great for streaming netflix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 01:15 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Have you looked into broadband services from Verizon Wireless, Sprint, AT&T and T-Mobile?
Cell service is spotty in my area, especially my particular house. I can go about 200 yards up the hill and get better service. I have cell phone extender that uses the internet.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:52 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,967,516 times
Quote:
It's only a major joke to you because your expectations are a major joke. HomeFusion is a real, valid broadband option provided by Verizon Wireless that reaches most of the nation's population. It's no different than Clearwire was. Different providers are going to have different products. One might work for you while another won't. It's just like any other product on the market.
So my expectation of being able to play a game I purchased is a major joke. So spending $20 (or more) on a game that is 25gb large and have to download and then wanting to be able to play it for more than 3 days before one has to wait until next month when the cap resets is normal to you? You really live in a messed up world if that's the case. Call me crazy, but in my world when I pay for something I expect to be able to use it. And if a service I have to pay for prevents full use of previous product, it isn't worth it.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:51 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The point is that Comcast is well hated in most parts of the country. What did the article say? 40% of its customers are dissatisfied?

They already have a monopoly where I live. We can get internet for $90 a month and with very basic cable the cost is lower: $80. Wow, what a great deal and they are the only game in town. Take it or leave it.

They should not be allowed to merge with Time Warner, the other rip off internet provider whom people hate. The result will be one huge company that has eaten the competition and can set whatever prices it wants. How is this good for the consumer? It's only good for the gigantic greedy monopoly that will result from this ill conceived merger.
But it is likely a monopoly setup by local government to also serve their purposes. Likely in smaller markets without it; no cable would exist. Most have choices of Dishes; Verizon and AT&T Universe.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:03 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,932,941 times
I have dial up now for many years,slow yes but no problems 50 kbps.Cost is $119 per year and never increases.I live in North FL and when we go to home in Ct,I have a toll free # for internet and email.I can go just about anywhere and use this service.Likewise with my Dish,connect to dish,change zip in receiver and call Dish,all very convienent

Old 05-26-2014, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
So my expectation of being able to play a game I purchased is a major joke. So spending $20 (or more) on a game that is 25gb large and have to download and then wanting to be able to play it for more than 3 days before one has to wait until next month when the cap resets is normal to you? You really live in a messed up world if that's the case. Call me crazy, but in my world when I pay for something I expect to be able to use it. And if a service I have to pay for prevents full use of previous product, it isn't worth it.
No. What is a joke is you calling a service a complete joke by identifying a unique use-case of yours that doesn't work with the service. Since you insist, I will call you crazy... crazy for thinking that EVERYONE uses their internet the exact same way you do.... and as a result, any internet service that does not allow them to use it the way that YOU use it, is a joke. I have news for you... you aren't the only person in the world. The reason why there are a variety of products available is because people have different needs. Just because you have one need, it doesn't make all other products a joke. Just sad.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:29 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Quote:
No. What is a joke is you calling a service a complete joke by identifying a unique use-case of yours.
The bigger joke is complaining about not getting full service in a thread about cut-rate service for low income families.
You want more?Pay for it.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The bigger joke is complaining about not getting full service in a thread about cut-rate service for low income families.
You should read the article.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:57 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I read this as he was agreeing with you NJBest?

Old 05-28-2014, 04:50 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Quote:
You should read the article.
I did.
Only yesterday, I was talking to a very low income woman (wouldn't qualify for this program,) who puts up with excruciating slowness due to old equipment that's barely hanging on, but pays full price for service.
Due to location, I used AOL dialup since 1998 until 6 years ago and even managed to sell 1000s of items on eBay.
Some things aren't wonderful......is this a case of looking a gift horse in the mouth?
LOL......low income students.....yet, did you notice one kid complained that he had to use her Smartphone because it was faster?
Yeah, OK, I'm crying for the poor girl...

I will say that, if this is completely true without good reason,it's one thing Comcast can be faulted for.
" asked to get on a payment program to settle the charges but was denied. "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet