Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 01:53 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,776,290 times

Advertisements

I have been using email for 30+ years and love it. It has been my main method of staying in touch with family and friends.

But I am finding that a lot of my friends rarely use email any more and instead do everything on Facebook. I am not a Facebook fan myself - not intimate enough for me I guess. But I find that I am losing touch with people because of this and either have to cave into FB or I don't know what.

Anyone else in this dilemma? What are you doing about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 04:24 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,212,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
...Anyone else in this dilemma? What are you doing about it?
I have been using email since it began. I write long personal emails. You don't want to email, maybe I'll catch your obit.

FB? I am not on FB, but I have seen the pages of some of my putative cousins who are. These are people who should never be using FB. Afterward I deleted them from the family tree on Ancestry.com. It has to be a tissue of lies that such people are related to me.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:40 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,216,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I have been using email for 30+ years and love it. It has been my main method of staying in touch with family and friends.

But I am finding that a lot of my friends rarely use email any more and instead do everything on Facebook. I am not a Facebook fan myself - not intimate enough for me I guess. But I find that I am losing touch with people because of this and either have to cave into FB or I don't know what.

You bet! There's NOTHING wrong with email whatsoever! I have two different accounts and check them frequently, but there's NO way in hell I will stoop to a fakebook account. The few friends I have can either call, or email me and know that my social butterflies were killed by me years ago.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:50 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,924,900 times
I use e-mail all the time. But in this last year I also use FB to keep up with friendss and family.I do not text or twitter tho. and only use FB every once in awhile to respond. I tend to telephone more still.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:30 AM

11 posts, read 14,024 times
I always use email for my communication, but opened a FB account strictly as a favor to my relatives and friends. They post pics of their kids, pets, vacations etc on FB and always emailed them to me separately, but now my FB account saves them time and effort - it's a win-win situation for all of us.

When registering, I used an alias (for the sake of global privacy) and I don't list personal info - workplaces, birthplace, schools attended... that sort of stuff. I emailed my relatives and friends with the name of my chosen alias, and they included it on their 'allow access' list so I can pop in and check up on the pics when I get a chance. They all know that I'll never post anything on FB or use it as a communication base, and they're totally ok with that. Makes me feel like a creepy lurker sometimes though, lol.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:35 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,868,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour

Nothing........ I use Email and thats all

Old 04-13-2014, 05:39 PM

620 posts, read 1,753,412 times
I use Email and thats all

Old 04-13-2014, 05:48 PM

157 posts, read 370,738 times
There's nothing wrong with using email. But just like anything else, it only makes sense to use email when the person on the other end uses email as well. For work-related communication, there's a good chance that email is the preferred method of communication outside of picking up the phone.

However, when you change the context to social communication, email is used less and less than in the past. Communication has shifted to texting, facebook, skype, etc. Does it still make sense to use email for these communications? Sure... many times it does. But if friends have all moved on from email to facebook... then don't expect the same quality of conversation in email that you might have in the past.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:47 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,091,244 times
I'll stick with old school communication. Forming sentences using real words to send an email or talking on a phone still works for me.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:49 PM

157 posts, read 370,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
I'll stick with old school communication. Forming sentences using real words to send an email or talking on a phone still works for me.
But you use old school communication like handwriting a letter or visiting in person? I do think those are lost arts. Glad to see some people, like yourself, keep those old school arts alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet