Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2016, 07:57 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,263,130 times

Advertisements

Tried to access my acct. at a Fed. govt. website that I use frequently. Error message: Your password needs 8-12 characters with at least one capital case, one numeral, and one special character like %. Huh?! That's exactly what I HAVE been using for years, but they won't accept it. So I change the password, and still get the same confusing message. Fire off an email to the Fed. agency involved.

They respond by asking for my acct. no. and snail mail address. Two weeks later via US mail, I get a temporary password to enter plus instructions to create a new password, which incidentally, I chose to be the same as the one I used for years. Now everything is OK, but I wish they had given a reason for the need for the resetting.

Been online for 18 years and this is the first time that I've had to reset a password that I have been using regularly and without any difficulties. No other govt. agency, bank, private vendor, or any other site has required this. Anyone else face this issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 12:02 PM

16,559 posts, read 19,745,492 times
This usually happen when there was a breach.

Old 08-13-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yeah, that's what I thought, but the agency gave no explanation.

Old 08-13-2016, 12:55 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,746,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Yeah, that's what I thought, but the agency gave no explanation.
And you put the same password back. I would change it. If there was a breach it may be compromised.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And you put the same password back. I would change it. If there was a breach it may be compromised.

I hear you, but because they provided no reason, I assumed that it was some sort of internal glitch.

I need to go back and set up a new PW.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:09 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,118,749 times
Your password will be encrypted in their database or at least it should be. The password itself is the key to decrypt. This is why sites can't tell you what your password is and if they can you should question why they can.

As long as you have used a complex password and the site has used adequate cipher methods it can be difficult if not impossible to obtain it through a hacked database. It can also be captured at login if they compromised the server files.

That said you should change it and if you are using the same password on other sites change them as well and use different passwords for each site. The issue is if they are able to obtain the password on one site they now have a password associated with whatever other information is there like your email address. They can go to your email account and try and use the password there. From there they can find out what bank or other services you use like Paypal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet