Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 07:04 PM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times

Advertisements

Most Apple products do something others don't. So they have a vested interest in keeping people on those platforms.
These Airports simply don't and people know that so they spend less for something just as good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 09:23 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Most Apple products do something others don't. So they have a vested interest in keeping people on those platforms.
These Airports simply don't and people know that so they spend less for something just as good.
They are good to me. I haven't had good results with LinkSys and Belkin routers, so I switched to Airport Express a couple of years ago. Not a hitch with this one. However, I have other Apple products around the house, so maybe that's what makes the difference for me.

In 2008 the Apple routers shared 10% of the market, but I have no idea how it does today. The reviews are still good, however:
Apple AirPort Extreme Review 2016 | Multi-Device Premium Wireless Router

Old 11-28-2016, 08:55 AM

Yea, but here's the thing with Apple, as much as I am not a fan I have no problem admitting this: they make quality products. They don't make low end versions of their products, unlike everyone else.

How much was your Airport? Let me guess: $99?
Did you pay $99 for the Linksys? or the Belkin? I'm guessing those were $50 or less. I promise you the $100 Linksys is as good (or better) then that Airport.

I see this with phones a lot. My brother buys an LG Optimus. Hates it. Blames LG. Trades it in for a Samsung J. Hates it. Blames Samsung. Keep in mind the LG was free and the Sammy was $39.99.
So then he spends $650 on an iPhone. He's blown away. Thinks Android sucks.
Sigh... if he would have bought a $650 Android it would have been a much better experience.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:49 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Yea, but here's the thing with Apple, as much as I am not a fan I have no problem admitting this: they make quality products. They don't make low end versions of their products, unlike everyone else.

Did you pay $99 for the Linksys? or the Belkin? I'm guessing those were $50 or less. I promise you the $100 Linksys is as good (or better) then that Airport.

I see this with phones a lot. My brother buys an LG Optimus. Hates it. Blames LG. Trades it in for a Samsung J. Hates it. Blames Samsung. Keep in mind the LG was free and the Sammy was $39.99.
Sigh... if he would have bought a $650 Android it would have been a much better experience.
That last point is subjective. Not everyone agrees that a $650 Android phone is a better experience than a $650 iPhone.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:03 AM

Life is subjective, my friend. You completely missed the point if that's all you got out of it. Did I say it WAS better? No. I simply said he would have had a BETTER EXPERIENCE.

A $39.99 phone, any phone, will not ever perform as well as a $650 iPhone.
Likewise a $99 Airport Express is probably going to be nicer then a $49 Linksys.
Probably. I am giving Apple the benefit of the doubt on that one because I've had a few GREAT $50 routers.

Old 11-28-2016, 02:44 PM

Okay, I think I see what you meant. At first, the last point didn't seem to fit with the others. I think I see it now.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:06 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:

You have to take into consideration that for me a $99.00 Airport Express is more convenient than a $99.00 Linksys router, simply because of the other Apple products my family and I have. Apple includes Airport Utility in every Apple computer, and that makes it incredibly easy to configure from any of the computers on my network, too. I do all my photo editing on Macs. All of that is explained in the link I posted above.

It is like trucks in that some people like Ford, and others like Chevy.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:53 AM

*Disclaimer* I really am not anti-Apple although I realize I come across that way sometimes.

What you see as a Pro, I see as a Con.
Pro: "All my Apple devices already have the app to configure my airport express!"
To which if this were a debate I would reply: How often do you need to configure your Airport?
I mean...once... right?
Con: What do you mean I can't simply use a browser to configure my router? Like every other router on Planet Earth?

That's yet more what I like to call: Apple Proprietary B---S---.
Others prefer to call it: Apples Walled Garden. Pulling you in, plying you with riches (proprieatariness [made up word]) and making it harder for you to leave.
Being forced to use an app over a simple browser, imo, is less functionality... not more.

For what you pay for the AirPort you could get a router that
A) supports a browser so any device can configure it easily
B) has parental controls
C) supports the QOS standard that 90% of "normal" routers offer
D) supports SPI (amazing the AirPort STILL does not). I thought they added this until I looked over your review, that horrible review. There are better review sites out there.

I have to question any review that includes this line:
The AirPort Extreme is one of the premium wireless routers that includes a one-year warranty.

Uh... can anyone show me a Router that DOESN'T Have AT LEAST a one year warranty? And a PREMIUM router would have SPI, QOS and parental controls. EXPENSIVE to this reviewer seems to mean PREMIUM.
Premium to me means top of the line.

(Not sure what the photo editing comment has to do with it?)

Old 11-29-2016, 10:12 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,801,295 times
Although everyone is talking about the obvious router function, I'll miss the Time Capsule and Air Print. Although other manufactures have tried to offer Time Machine over the network like WD or Air Print with a printer connected to the router, they do not work as well.

They really didn't market their backup solution. Im guessing that they'll focus on up selling their backup to cloud service.

Last edited by thelopez2; 11-29-2016 at 10:28 AM..

Old 11-29-2016, 01:04 PM

Time capsule and AirPrint work on non Apple routers too. I know because I use both through a Netgear router

.edit: I'm getting it confused. Time machine works, not time capsule.

Last edited by dkf747; 11-29-2016 at 01:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet