Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 08:42 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Thank god for that. Most sites take 10 times longer then CD to load. For the record CD doesn't use Javascript for any of the basic interface. Maybe for some of the extras. But the site works pretty much the same for me with Javascript turned on or off.

This is very outdated software in particular the HTML, it still uses tables which was outdated in the early 2000's and it's very bloated. There is lot of things that will determine how fast a page loads but modern forum software with a lot of JS enabled features is going to be much faster with everything else equal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 09:29 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm drawing a blank on you natively and automatically update values on a page based on client side input without using JS.

Nevermind, I see some examples using calc() with CSS however the calculation I'm performing is fairly complex using data from multiple inputs and writing date to multiple elements. Not sure it would be applicable in my case and I'm taking a guess it would get very bloated even if it did work.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:18 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,656,346 times
Want to block my browser using an ad-blocker. Go for it, I will just go to a different site that doesnt. You lose either way and your site will go away. But hey you kept that lousy freeloader off your site so win with feel-good points! You want somebody to actually not block stuff selectively, how about a revenue model that doesnt require shoving ads I dont want to see down my throat? The revenue model will have to change. Nobody is voluntarily going to suffer obnoxious ads. Hey here is novel thought, how about going back to unobtrusive STATIC banner ads?

What many sites ignore is that all of use dont have unlimited ultra fast internet connection. Shoving multimedia ads down my throat burns up that EXPENSIVE METERED DATA. Data connection that isnt all THAT fast anyway, so slow it down further.

Hey you want to provide me with a free T1 connection in exchange for watching stupid ads? I would consider it though probably still wouldnt agree. Lot of these ads and rogue scripts are truly obnoxious. I would rather do without most of internet than suffer such torture.

Its impossible to totally avoid internet in modern world, but if issue is forced, I will use it as little as possible. I am not a masochist. What then? are websites going to get govt to force large screen showing ads in everybody's home that is on 24/7???? Disable it and you go to prison where there is one in every cell....

Old 05-16-2020, 11:25 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Want to block my browser using an ad-blocker. Go for it, I will just go to a different site that doesnt. You lose either way and your site will go away. But hey you kept that lousy freeloader off your site so win with feel-good points! You want somebody to actually not block stuff selectively, how about a revenue model that doesnt require shoving ads I dont want to see down my throat? The revenue model will have to change. Nobody is voluntarily going to suffer obnoxious ads. Hey here is novel thought, how about going back to unobtrusive STATIC banner ads?

What many sites ignore is that all of use dont have unlimited ultra fast internet connection. Shoving multimedia ads down my throat burns up that EXPENSIVE METERED DATA. Data connection that isnt all THAT fast anyway, so slow it down further.

Hey you want to provide me with a free T1 connection in exchange for watching stupid ads? I would consider it though probably still wouldnt agree. Lot of these ads and rogue scripts are truly obnoxious. I would rather do without most of internet than suffer such torture.

Its impossible to totally avoid internet in modern world, but if issue is forced, I will use it as little as possible. I am not a masochist. What then? are websites going to get govt to force large screen showing ads in everybody's home that is on 24/7???? Disable it and you go to prison where there is one in every cell....
Yeah, and the issue is also that many people use mobile devices. I can tell you that on some sites, I can’t even load anything because the ads are so obtrusive. They take up 75% of the screen, cause nothing to load, etc. That is on top of the issue that many people using mobile devices are using cellular data and don’t want to be stuck with a huge bill because some site’s ads are gobbling up resources. I know I’ve had that happen at least once- I opened up something I did not close and 4 hours later, it had gobbled up a gig of data on my (very limited) plan.

Old 05-16-2020, 12:54 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,816,223 times
Quote:
I'm drawing a blank on you natively and automatically update values on a page based on client side input without using JS.

Look into a technology called CSS (Cascading Style Sheets). It's quite powerful.

Old 05-16-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Nevermind, I see some examples using calc() with CSS however the calculation I'm performing is fairly complex using data from multiple inputs and writing date to multiple elements. Not sure it would be applicable in my case and I'm taking a guess it would get very bloated even if it did work.

I'm not certain whether it would be worse, however. With CSS, you can offload most of the interpretation and execution to the GPU. It's probably not meaningful for such a simple calculation, but it wouldn't be any slower.

Old 05-16-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
This is very outdated software in particular the HTML, it still uses tables which was outdated in the early 2000's and it's very bloated. There is lot of things that will determine how fast a page loads but modern forum software with a lot of JS enabled features is going to be much faster with everything else equal.

The HTML is the most visible part. It also uses vBulletin and jQuery. Get's the job done, obviously, but historic.

Old 05-16-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Exactly, I think people forget about the history of the internet. In the beginning there were no ads on the internet. Just millions of HTML webpages with absolutely no ads.

The irony. HTML usage has dropped dramatically, but ads are quite prevalent.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:26 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,092,925 times
Quote:
I agree that it's probably outdated, but I don't agree that it's bloated. Pages on CD always load for me in one to three seconds, unless there is a server problem, which is not often. In comparison YouTube where I spend most of my time, the pages take 10 to 12 seconds to load. Not the videos, they play fine. The webpage interface takes longer to load then an HD video does. And I have never seen JavaScript load fast.

I really miss 1995 and getting online with a 60 MHz Power Macintosh with a 28K dial up connection, and no JavaScript. The pages didn't load any slower then they do today, and that is saying a lot.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
I agree that it's probably outdated, but I don't agree that it's bloated. Pages on CD always load for me in one to three seconds, unless there is a server problem, which is not often. In comparison YouTube where I spend most of my time, the pages take 10 to 12 seconds to load. Not the videos, they play fine. The webpage interface takes longer to load then an HD video does. And I have never seen JavaScript load fast.

I really miss 1995 and getting online with a 60 MHz Power Macintosh with a 28K dial up connection, and no JavaScript. The pages didn't load any slower then they do today, and that is saying a lot.

The city-data.com/forum page loads an initial 27,000 DOM nodes, and then drops to 18,000. A modern website like nytimes.com loads 1,200 DOM nodes. Youtube initially loads 6,500 DOM nodes, then spikes to 50,000 as the videos start filling in the page.

Also, city data has major security issues: https://snyk.io/test/website-scanner...2231f84d60d36b

In 1995, this would have been okay since nothing was secure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet