Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2017, 05:06 AM

853 posts, read 648,644 times

Advertisements

I have had a lot of problems with my internet connection, I lived a nightmare with slow response that sometimes took about 40 seconds to open a single website and even to give me the results of a google search; I also suffered from constantly short connection cuts. After getting angry and fighting against the technical support over the telephone during 2 months they finally accepted that my router was broken and came at home to change it by a better and modern model. That router model had about 10 years old but they insisted that was one of their best "models". Since then, at least I don't suffer from cuts but in my desktop computer, sometimes my internet connection is rather slow. Because I do not have a cpu network card, I have a network adapter but this network adapter is from the same company and is also about 10 years old or more; I checked for the latest drivers in their website and they are from 2005 LOL, also the website design seems to be from 90s. My computer is not such old, I have Windows 8.1 but the hardware is only about 3 years old. I have some knowledge of computers but I completely suck with internet devices/services. Do you think that a newer network adapter (not from the same company that totally sucks) would be a solution? Can a network adapter ruin an internet connection?

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 07:05 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
There are two components to your Internet connection that are often combined into one. The modem brings the Internet into your home from outside. The router enables that single connection to be distributed to multiple devices.

Sometimes they're combined into a single device. Most experts prefer to keep them separate, because it makes it easier to isolate issues with one or the other. You can own your own router. Some providers let you own your own modem. Since you aren't getting good performance from the device or devices supplied by your provider, check into whether you can buy your own modem and your own router and connect it to their network.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:20 PM

853 posts, read 648,644 times
Thank you. I finally replaced my wireless adapter but it didn't help a lot. Please, have a look at my other post.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:28 PM

4,866 posts, read 4,806,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
There are two components to your Internet connection that are often combined into one. The modem brings the Internet into your home from outside. The router enables that single connection to be distributed to multiple devices.

Sometimes they're combined into a single device. Most experts prefer to keep them separate, because it makes it easier to isolate issues with one or the other. You can own your own router. Some providers let you own your own modem. Since you aren't getting good performance from the device or devices supplied by your provider, check into whether you can buy your own modem and your own router and connect it to their network.
I agree. I have Comcast internet and own my modem and router. The modem cost about $100 (Comcast charges $10-12/month). The router was also about $100 and I don't know what Comcast charges. My previous modem lasted 6-7 years, so I saved some $$ on that. The router is 2-3 years old.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:57 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Well I'm an expert and bought my own Modem and Router combo, not separate components. Personally tired of having so many different boxes and needing extra plugs. Plus all the stuff is in my living room so I want it neater.

Jorge, there could be issues with your PC, too. "My internet is slow" is one of the hardest things to trouble shoot online.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:53 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,506,680 times
You can separate this into two problems, though. 1. a problem with your wifi, often interference from another point of presence. 2. A problem with your modem or internet service.

My vote is #1.

You can test to see which door by making a direct connection to the modem with an ethernet cord.

Old 09-14-2017, 03:01 PM

718 posts, read 1,149,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
I have had a lot of problems with my internet connection, I lived a nightmare with slow response that sometimes took about 40 seconds to open a single website and even to give me the results of a google search; I also suffered from constantly short connection cuts. After getting angry and fighting against the technical support over the telephone during 2 months they finally accepted that my router was broken and came at home to change it by a better and modern model. That router model had about 10 years old but they insisted that was one of their best "models". Since then, at least I don't suffer from cuts but in my desktop computer, sometimes my internet connection is rather slow. Because I do not have a cpu network card, I have a network adapter but this network adapter is from the same company and is also about 10 years old or more; I checked for the latest drivers in their website and they are from 2005 LOL, also the website design seems to be from 90s. My computer is not such old, I have Windows 8.1 but the hardware is only about 3 years old. I have some knowledge of computers but I completely suck with internet devices/services. Do you think that a newer network adapter (not from the same company that totally sucks) would be a solution? Can a network adapter ruin an internet connection?

Thank you in advance
You mentioned in another thread (Paleolithic Internet wifi) that you're in Madrid, Spain. And it looks like you're still on copper wiring and cannot switch. Probably ADSL. Personally, I think you should switch to a better ISP, if you can convince your father.

Having said that, we vacationed in Madrid & Valencia, among other cities, last year. At the places we stayed at, we had pretty good broadband and wifi services. They had Movistar broadband. There were four of us, each with multiple devices (i.e. laptops, tablets and phones). Broadband speed was good enough to watch TV and stream Netflix and surf the web.

But as we travelled around, we also brought with us this:
Wifivox - Pocket Wifi rental in Spain. Connect anywhere you go with our prepaid Wifi!

More info for broadband options:
https://www.comparaiso.es/manuales-g...roadband-spain

Old 09-18-2017, 06:32 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Something else to consider - if it is slow resolving internet sites maybe you have a slow DNS provider. Try a free one in Spain or Google’s at 8.8.8.8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet