Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 06:05 PM

652 posts, read 521,424 times

Advertisements

There this website that claims you can use their pictures for free:

https://www.pexels.com/

They give you the option to download for free. Once at the download page they give you the option to donate or visit their instagram page.

Anyone know if I'm safe to use this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 03:29 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post
There this website that claims you can use their pictures for free:

https://www.pexels.com/

They give you the option to download for free. Once at the download page they give you the option to donate or visit their instagram page.

Anyone know if I'm safe to use this?
I would feel safe using images, after reading their TOS and Licensing parameters.

https://help.pexels.com/hc/en-us/art...tos-or-videos-

Seems that photographers upload their stuff voluntarily:
https://help.pexels.com/hc/en-us/art...oading-images-
And, the site tries to confirm copyright:
https://help.pexels.com/hc/en-us/art...ad-my-content-

Be a sport, and give attribution to the person who provides you with their work for free!

Old 12-14-2020, 02:01 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Pexels is safe, for sure.

So is Negative Space: https://negativespace.co/

and Stocksnap: https://stocksnap.io/

Should have asked where to get "Royalty Free" photos.

Old 12-17-2020, 05:14 PM

38 posts, read 23,299 times
If you don’t have any or many followers, you are probably safe. Overall, it’s not “right” to since you don’t know nor got permission for those images. The safest route is to ask for permission.

Also check out Unsplash for stock photos. I use them a lot for work.

Old 01-02-2021, 09:32 PM

Ok thanks. I'm new to this stuff. Also, how do I learn how to create and design instagram posts? I see everyones posts and it's so well designed and clean.

Old 01-02-2021, 10:42 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Why not just use images youve taken...that's mostly what Instagram is

Old 01-02-2021, 10:43 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post
Ok thanks. I'm new to this stuff. Also, how do I learn how to create and design instagram posts? I see everyones posts and it's so well designed and clean.
Take pics, post. Its simple.

Old 01-04-2021, 04:15 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
This is pure hypocrisy. Going after people who steals photographs for payment and then claiming that stealing their photographs is fair play.

Say what?

MicroSoft will do anything to protect THEIR intellectual property. Steal their software and their lawyers will come down on you for stealing their intellectual property.

MicroSoft steals MY intellectual property and posts it on Bing.com as their cover photo for a day, without my permission. Simple because under Section 230 Bing, Google, Instagram, and a host of others are NOT considered publishers. Right...Section 230 is just a license for theft.

I quit posting my photographs or writings on the web. It is just a way to enrich the TECH ELITES.

Getty Images markets photographs. They pay the photographer 20%!!! PERIOD.

Corporate TECH is totally evil. It is way past time to repeal Section 230 and for good measure break up the tech companies.

For those folks wanting to steal photographs and post on Instagram. Remember under copyright law Instagram is currently protected under Section 230. YOU are liable for copyright violation.

Using the Corporate Tech sites enriches the rich since they pay nothing for their content. They are just stealing from creative people that develop the content.

Old 01-06-2021, 10:40 PM

One more question, is it ok for me to take screenshot pics from youtube videos and post it as pics on my instagram? Whether it be a person or an inanimate object?

Old 01-06-2021, 11:46 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,812,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Say what?

MicroSoft will do anything to protect THEIR intellectual property. Steal their software and their lawyers will come down on you for stealing their intellectual property.

MicroSoft steals MY intellectual property and posts it on Bing.com as their cover photo for a day, without my permission. Simple because under Section 230 Bing, Google, Instagram, and a host of others are NOT considered publishers. Right...Section 230 is just a license for theft.

I quit posting my photographs or writings on the web. It is just a way to enrich the TECH ELITES.

Getty Images markets photographs. They pay the photographer 20%!!! PERIOD.

Corporate TECH is totally evil. It is way past time to repeal Section 230 and for good measure break up the tech companies.

For those folks wanting to steal photographs and post on Instagram. Remember under copyright law Instagram is currently protected under Section 230. YOU are liable for copyright violation.

Using the Corporate Tech sites enriches the rich since they pay nothing for their content. They are just stealing from creative people that develop the content.
The poster was discussing your hypocrisy around copyrights on images. One one hand, you mention that you go to lengths to protect your rights while encouraging the OP to violate the rights of others.

You don't understand section 230. You may want to read it. Section 230 does not allow Microsoft to take your photo and use it as their cover photo for a day.

The only way Microsoft is allowed to do that is if you gave them permission to do so. Did you upload your photo to a Microsoft service or to another service that allows the use of your photos in their TOS?

You do realize that by repealing section 230, sites like city data would be liable for anything posted on their site by you, me, and every other poster, right? City Data couldn't exist under those conditions.

Tech companies make money by providing a platform. People post content to their platforms because they want to use a great platform. If you don't want to use that platform, that's fine. But these companies are doing nothing wrong by making the platform available. These platforms are rightfully protected by section 230 as it is the actions of the person who stole a photo and reposted it that is a copyright violation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet