Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 11:52 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

For years, the only thing that seemed to be holding back the quick adoption of high-speed Internet access was availability. Faster is better and people will always pay more for better, right? Not necessarily. A new study is showing that availability is no longer the problem; broadband access is out there, but people just don't think it's worth the cost.

Dial-Up Internet Users Still Don't Want Broadband, Study Says - Switched
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 07:32 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
I'll be surprised if rates for dialup Internet don't start increasing past the rates for broadband soon. The users have dwindled down to the hardcore folks who don't want to upgrade, and if they dwindle much lower, there won't be enough of them to make it worthwhile for providers to offer dialup at lower prices.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:53 PM

269 posts, read 1,243,437 times
I had broadband for a year; between the cost and service issues it wasn't worth renewing the contract. Also, with a modem, I can react in human time when something tries to shove itself onto my hard drive, and stop the intrusion by pulling the phone jack out of the wall. If, as you say, the 56kb charges go up past the broadband levels, I'll reconsider.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:32 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,016 times
I had to go to light DSL years ago because they just about choked the dialup to death around there where I live. Of the long list of numbers I had that I could use (dial up) out of about 10 numbers only 3 still worked.. So, I changed providers and got DSL light. MY daughter got the regular DSL at double the price of what the light was and hers didn't work no better than the light did. Now they offer fiber optic but the expense it not worth it to me because I am gone every other month so I would be paying for a years worth of service and only use it 6 month.. Now though, they are choking down the DSL, I think to force everybody to go to the more expensive fiber optic.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:32 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,114 times
I'm hoping Clearwire, an ISP that's fairly new in my areas, will get cheaper.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:11 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Cheaper? Not always. My neighbor had two phone lines, dial up on one of them. He was paying for the two lines plus ISP charges.

When he switched to DSL he dropped one line and the ISP and is spending $10 a month less than before. He's happy.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:13 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabm67 View Post
I had broadband for a year; between the cost and service issues it wasn't worth renewing the contract. Also, with a modem, I can react in human time when something tries to shove itself onto my hard drive, and stop the intrusion by pulling the phone jack out of the wall. If, as you say, the 56kb charges go up past the broadband levels, I'll reconsider.
With or without broadband you should have software in place to stop that type of intrusion for you. You won't see all of them and some are quick enough even on dial up to get past you.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:58 PM

38,865 posts, read 22,849,388 times
One of my sisters and her husband are still using dialup (AOL). They couldn't qualify for DSL because they lived too far from the telco's central switching station. Their house has never had cable TV service, so they aren't about to get cable Internet service. If you ask me, though, I think my sister's husband is too frugal to get broadband Internet!

Old 07-30-2008, 08:35 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,086,255 times
Default Economics of Broadband

I completely agree with the original posters linked article- broadband, at this time, is too expensive in America. Most other nations pay less for more bandwidth than we do here in the US. Hopefully a new President will help change that by offering tax incentives to further drive down the cost of high-speed Internet access. The current administration has been too preoccupied with the War on Terror to really address domestic issues as our present economic malaise clearly exemplifies.

Our next President should act quickly to help drive down the cost of broadband connections. He should also promote the benefits to business of allowing employees to work from home whenever possible. This would have the dual effect of allowing the United States to remain competitive in the global exchange of ideas and at the same time lessen our dependence on foreign oil. More vehicles off the road would even help the environment.

What I don’t understand is some people’s apathy towards broadband. Ask any on-line gamer or database administrator, that works from home, how they feel about their high-speed Internet connection, and they’re likely to tell you that they’d rather lose a limb then give up broadband.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:58 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,996,747 times
Not to get off on a political tangent (and I'm NOT a Bush guy), the President doesn't have the ability to create tax incentives for broadband and telecommuting, Congress does. All the President can do is push an idea.

I think the demographic that prefers dial-up contains a lot of older people - the same folks who wouldn't give up their land-line phone if they didn't need it for internet access. I know I was paying 22 a month for AOL and another 25 for a phone about ten years ago, and I can get cable internet for less than that now. But the older computer user is less likely to be watching video, hopping on MySpace, playing games, using bittorrent, or doing a lot of other things online that require high bandwidth. If all you're doing is reading news websites and checking email, broadband isn't as big of a deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet