Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2008, 01:55 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,917,607 times

Advertisements

Anyone else thrilled with Google Earth streetview? They have most American major cities, Australia, Japan, Spain, Italy, and France.

Although I'm upset that they haven't bothered to add my hometown Charleston, SC even though they have every other large town in SC and plenty smaller. lol, that and the U.K!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 08:18 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
On one hand, I like the idea. I used it once recently to do a virtual drive-by evaluation of a business before wasting gas only to find a Mailboxes etc.. OTOH, I mourn the loss to many readers of great novels, where the written description of a place allows the mind to create an image and mood. Seeing the Moors on a bright sunny day, with contrails and modern traffic is a lot different than reading about Heathcliff.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:30 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,689,159 times
The Pittsburgh area has had streetview for about a year now. Just this morning I was looking at it, and noticed a lone route all the way up to New Castle. The driver of the camera car must have been visiting his old home town. There is one section near Volant where they drove up a gravel road through the trees and ended at an oil well with green storage tanks.

Those tanks are a common sight around here. I even have one in my backyard. I was just thinking that people in the city would see those tanks, and have no idea what they were. I found some humor in that.

Ok, those tanks are East of Volant in Leesburg. They are at the end of 329 & Leesburg Rd. Just in case you wanted to see them.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:07 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,505,114 times
There are a lot of controversies surrounding Google Streetview. Most particularly are issues of privacy. Sadly, most people don't seem to realize that if it can be seen from a public road, it can be photographed.

This article I saw a while ago, always amuses me:
Blurred Out: 51 Things You Aren't Allowed to See on Google Maps - IT Security
Basically, its 51 things that Google Maps has blurred out or otherwise distorted so that you can't see it.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:57 AM

311 posts, read 1,058,371 times
I use it sometimes when I'm bored... kinda cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet