Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2009, 06:57 PM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times

Advertisements

Judging your credit by the friends you keep on line?
Priceless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 05:49 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,933,140 times
Makes you wonder what will happen to people who don't have those accounts. Will their credit score *suffer*, like those without credit cards? Or it is considered responsible that you don't have a massive network of friend-whores.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:53 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,622,608 times
This has got to be BS. The article states "Rapleaf not only categorizes your profile, but it stores your social networking contacts, too. So if your friends have good credit, that tidbit gets picked up by the lender, and can turn the tide and help get your application approved." How in the name of G. Gordon Liddy are they going to find my Facebook friend's credit score?

Plus the fact that I don't use my full real name for anything and I would NEVER put my SSN on there so good luck to them trying to find me on any of my social profiles.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:57 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,933,140 times
Most people put their real names on Facebooks, in order that others from their past might find them. With demographic comparisons, they probably don't need SSN's to make an educated guess on who is who. Figure if there are 200 people in the country with my exact first and last name. Spread out, there might only be twenty in my state. Probably only five or so in my city. Narrow by age, sex, place of birth. Place of birth also generates the first key of an SSN, so between those factors, their chances of matching a Facebook profile to credit score are, not perfect, but probably good enough.

I'm sure there are other bits of info on Facebook that can firm up the match even better. As I've heard it described, quite adequately in my opinion, each and every Facebook account is a Privacy Chernobyl just waiting to happen.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:37 AM

77 posts, read 174,607 times
dont give your bank account number to a pretty girl and you should be ok.doh!

Old 01-09-2010, 01:05 AM

61,740 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Unless you give out information about yourself, of your friends post notes with your real name, or info about meetings with address, or phone numbers, or you talk about your job giving specific info about what you do and where, or your friends post info about them on their facebook, and then relate to you as co-workers, neighbors or something like that - there is no way to find out who you are and where you live. You have to watch what kind of info you post. Even if you don't post anything about yourself, but your friends do, there is a easy way to find out who is who. When you have a bunch of friends you know in real life, then there is a great possibility that they could post sensitive info about you without your knowledge.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:55 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,673,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Wow. I'll make sure to keep my account private. Most of friends are broke college students.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:28 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,120,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
How in the name of G. Gordon Liddy are they going to find my Facebook friend's credit score?
Data mining. It's not as difficult as you think.

Facebook's Privacy Move Violates Contract With Users

You don't even have to be visible on the Internet to be subject to data mining. There's a Background Check application available for free on the iPhone that did a flawless job of identifying my adult relatives, even those in other states.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:15 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Facebook Moves to Standardize and Own Customer IDs - BusinessWeek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet