Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 02:04 PM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

im not talking about market performance. im talking about the fact that you need a much better understanding of how to set up and prepare for withdrawing from a portfolio in retirement than you have. .

your making comments about doing things and not doing things that will cause you a very painful retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 02:05 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
affordable obamma care? for who? my health insurance in a high deductable hsa jumbed from 88 bucks a week to 181.00 a week and thats with a 2500.00 per person deductable or a 5k deductable for family. its a freakin joke this obama care.
It has not fully kicked in yet. Who do you get health insurance from?

Old 07-05-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Your won't have any social security? (how-why)

Don't you have a job now and a social security number, with taxes withheld each paycheck?
I have heard on news that SS funds will run out even though I contribute to it from my work checks since I have started working.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Where will you get the million to be able to draw from?
What is your road map to a million.
If you plan to retire at age 55, you have maybe 22-24 years left....
Combination of 401K/Roth IRA.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:10 PM

yes it has. kids are covered until 26 now. they can be married and still stay on the parents policy. family rates shot up brutaly to compensate jan 1 2011.

i use emblem health/hip/ghi.....

Old 07-05-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
If you were going to retire the following year you asset allocation should have already been close to where it needed to be without the kneejerk (and foolish) sell at the market bottom to get your stock ratio where it needed to be. If anything your asset allocation for your retirement years would suddenly be out of wack with stocks too low, so buying stocks would have been the correct thing to do when you rebalanced.

You are one of the few people I'd recommend hiring a financial advisor.
Why would you be in equities when you are 1-2 years away from retirement?

Old 07-05-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I have heard on news that SS funds will run out even though I contribute to it from my work checks since I have started working.
wanna bet everything is still status quo except the retirement age gets pushed out?

Old 07-05-2011, 02:13 PM

14,477 posts, read 20,657,588 times
Originally Posted by Texas User
SS will be much lower or none in my retirement.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Why would you expect yours to be lower than mine?

(my SS is $1060 a month)(my pension is $65 a month)

Surely you will have those numbers beat.
---------------------------------

You want to be able to withdraw $25,000 a year.

From what nest egg will you be able to withdraw that?
How many years do you have to get to that nest egg amount?

-----------
You'll get SS but the age you get the full amount may go up.

So, your 401K - IRA will be a million is 20-25 years?

Old 07-05-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Why would you be in equities when you are 1-2 years away from retirement?
i explained that many times to you. the fact is this is exactly why im saying you dont understand alot about retirement planning and really need to seek help and an education on it before you put these silly thoughts in your head.

heres the reason in a nutshell. if your planning on pulling 2.5 to 4% inflation adjusted out of your nest egg you cant do it without equities. you will be broke in only 20 years.

for more info i suggest googling the trinity study or firecalc

Old 07-05-2011, 02:15 PM

Why would you be in Stocks when you are 5 or less years away from retirement? What if the market crashes the year you retire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i would 2nd that.. ole tex is running on bits and pieces of mi-information he gathered up and it will harm him.

either start reading books by those who know or get someone to help him but he is basically just a drift in his investments with no real plan or strategy.

and no, bailing a year before you retire from an all stock portfolio isnt a strategy. hope isnt a strategy either.

while anyone can throw money into equities and let time do its thing and come out a winner ,retirement planning is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo difficult.

for months now i have been posting different ideas, thoughts, and methods to serve as food for thought so those who are getting close understand that the spending down or the decumulation stage of our lives as its known is very different from the accumulation stage. you damn well better learn about the 2nd half of the game because following the rules and strategies of the accumulation stage will put you right in the failed retirement graveyard.

folks have to get all the myths and wives tales as well as preconceived notions about certain financial products out of their head and open their horizons to new methods and products or they will fail following yesterdays news .

generating a reliable income stream today for a lifetime has become a very difficult task even for the best schooled on the planet. folks like us stand no chance without opening up our minds and eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing