Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 02:18 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
yes it has. kids are covered until 26 now. they can be married and still stay on the parents policy. family rates shot up brutaly to compensate jan 1 2011.

i use emblem health/hip/ghi.....
Its covered in all states? Obamacare is cheaper then what it was before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 02:19 PM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times
you need to research the answer to that question, i can not keep repeating myself. if you plan right you wont be all in stock anywhere near retirement.. if you plan right you have many many many years of witdrawls already in safe money. the markets crashing for a few years are a non event if you plan right.

read ray lucias book ready set retire and all your questions will be answered as well as the mechanics of what to do.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
wanna bet everything is still status quo except the retirement age gets pushed out?
to 70? I can retire at 62 and get SS if there is any.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Its covered in all states? Obamacare is cheaper then what it was before.
you need to research this too, your very mis-informed as to what it cost and to whom..

Old 07-05-2011, 02:30 PM

Aren't we running out of SS funds. It has been all over the news in the past 10 years.

The nest egg of 401K/Roth IRA. 22 years to a million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Originally Posted by Texas User
SS will be much lower or none in my retirement.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Why would you expect yours to be lower than mine?

(my SS is $1060 a month)(my pension is $65 a month)

Surely you will have those numbers beat.
---------------------------------

You want to be able to withdraw $25,000 a year.

From what nest egg will you be able to withdraw that?
How many years do you have to get to that nest egg amount?

-----------
You'll get SS but the age you get the full amount may go up.

So, your 401K - IRA will be a million is 20-25 years?

Old 07-05-2011, 02:35 PM

you saw how fast they found money to fund a bailout and qe2.. something as crucial to the culture and structure of america as the ss system will never be allowed to fail and i feel you can take that to the bank.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
i explained that many times to you. the fact is this is exactly why im saying you dont understand alot about retirement planning and really need to seek help and an education on it before you put these silly thoughts in your head.

heres the reason in a nutshell. if your planning on pulling 2.5 to 4% inflation adjusted out of your nest egg you cant do it without equities. you will be broke in only 20 years.

for more info i suggest googling the trinity study or firecalc
Why would my portofolio be in equities when I am close to retirement? Do I want to risk my portfolio when I don't have time to recover if the market goes down? I am not talking about withdrawing money.

I will just adjust my portfolio to ,much less prone to Stocks in retirement though. I see what you mean now.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:08 PM

okay,for the last time ill explain what i did. listen very carefully because i dont want you to ask the same questions over and over.

about 5 years before i thought i might even retire i started to reconfigure my growth portfolio from the 80-90% stock that it was into a portfolio eventually geared for spending down and lasting a life time for myself and my spouse.

i put 7 years of what i wanted to withdraw and put it in safe money, cd's,money markets,the bank,

i put another 7 years worth of withdrawls in bonds,bond funds,un-traded income reits.

that gives me 15 years before i have to worry about selling any equities at a loss so all the rest of my long term money goes into equity funds to grow and provide inflation protection. even at 62 i have money i wont use to eat with for 30 years.

after 15 years some of those equities will be sold and buckets 1 and 2 refilled. or i can refill them as i spend them down whenever markets are up.

i did this five years ago, i decided to not retire for another 2 to 3 years but the portfolio still sits and grows.

if the markets crash who cares.. my plans are un-touched. im sure 15 years from now markets will be way higher. the cycles of the market leave us un-scathed for 15 years out. just look at all the crap we have been through and 15 years ago i think we were at 5-6000

this is what i mean when i say you need an education and a plan for spending down a few years before retirement. without equities i would be broke all to soon. they are key to keeping your portfolio alive .

i dont know how old you are but if your more than 5 years out then you have time to learn but if not you better get educated on this stuff or get someone who can help you.

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-05-2011 at 03:32 PM..

Old 07-05-2011, 04:48 PM

Thats a good plan, thanks. I have not done much research on what I will do after retirement.

Quote:
okay,for the last

time ill explain what i did. listen very carefully because i dont want you to ask the same questions over and over.

about 5 years before i thought i might even retire i started to reconfigure my growth portfolio from the 80-90% stock that it was into a portfolio eventually geared for spending down and lasting a life time for myself and my spouse.

i put 7 years of what i wanted to withdraw and put it in safe money, cd's,money markets,the bank,

i put another 7 years worth of withdrawls in bonds,bond funds,un-traded income reits.

that gives me 15 years before i have to worry about selling any equities at a loss so all the rest of my long term money goes into equity funds to grow and provide inflation protection. even at 62 i have money i wont use to eat with for 30 years.

after 15 years some of those equities will be sold and buckets 1 and 2 refilled. or i can refill them as i spend them down whenever markets are up.

i did this five years ago, i decided to not retire for another 2 to 3 years but the portfolio still sits and grows.

if the markets crash who cares.. my plans are un-touched. im sure 15 years from now markets will be way higher. the cycles of the market leave us un-scathed for 15 years out. just look at all the crap we have been through and 15 years ago i think we were at 5-6000

this is what i mean when i say you need an education and a plan for spending down a few years before retirement. without equities i would be broke all to soon. they are key to keeping your portfolio alive .

i dont know how old you are but if your more than 5 years out then you have time to learn but if not you better get educated on this stuff or get someone who can help you.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:07 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
What if they retired in March of 2009? They did get wiped out with the 2008 crash if they stayed in Stocks.
Only if they sold at the bottom like you advise, otherwise they would gained most of it back already.

We've covered this already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing