Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 11:19 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times

Advertisements

i really liked this piece by mark cuban:

Wall Street Doesn't Know What Business It's In

in part:
To traders, whether day traders or high frequency or somewhere in between, Wall Street has nothing to do with creating capital for businesses, its original goal.

Wall Street is a platform. It’s a platform to be exploited by every technological and intellectual means possible.

The best analogy for traders? They are hackers. Just as hackers search for and exploit operating system and application shortcomings, traders do the same thing. A hacker wants to jump in front of your shopping cart and grab your credit card and then sell it. A high frequency trader wants to jump in front of your trade and then sell that stock to you. A hacker will tell you that they are serving a purpose by identifying the weak links in your system. A trader will tell you they deserve the pennies they are making on the trade because they provide liquidity to the market.

The important issue is recognizing that Wall Street is no longer what it was designed to be. Wall Street was designed to be a market to which companies provide securities (stocks/bonds), from which they received capital that would help them start/grow/sell businesses. Investors made their money by recognizing value where others did not, or by simply committing to a company and growing with it as a shareholder, receiving dividends or appreciation in their holdings. What percentage of the market is driven by investors these days?

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/what-...#ixzz1V7Rqsbum

a bet a lot of americans feel the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 12:01 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
The important issue is recognizing that Wall Street is no longer what it was designed to be. Wall Street was designed to be a market to which companies provide securities (stocks/bonds), from which they received capital that would help them start/grow/sell businesses. Investors made their money by recognizing value where others did not, or by simply committing to a company and growing with it as a shareholder, receiving dividends or appreciation in their holdings. What percentage of the market is driven by investors these days?
Wall Street, R.I.P.

Nothing but a scam and rip-off these days...

Old 08-15-2011, 12:04 PM

378 posts, read 707,534 times
It's an interesting perspective. Some of the comments are worth reading too. I don't totally agree with the guy pushing bonds, but one phrase he said kind of stood out to me: "investors hoping someone is behind them to buy them out at a higher price"

I think there are too many people making speculative bets in the market. Either trade on fundamentals or yields and enjoy the ride or go to fixed income.

If anything, things will get worse. I'm very disturbed by the media trend of using DJI performance as a referendum on political policy. I think it encourages government intervention that will only distort the market further.

IMO, stock prices are the Wizard of Oz, and HFT is the man behind the curtain. Too many people are freaking out about the volatility of the past couple weeks. Ask yourself: is any of it real?

Old 08-15-2011, 05:07 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
I blame the rise of the online trading and day traders.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:38 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,744,592 times
Raise capitol gains on anything held less than 5 years to 90% and that will fix things.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:45 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
"what business is wall street in?"

Theft

Old 08-15-2011, 07:44 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018 View Post
It's an interesting perspective. Some of the comments are worth reading too. I don't totally agree with the guy pushing bonds, but one phrase he said kind of stood out to me: "investors hoping someone is behind them to buy them out at a higher price"

I think there are too many people making speculative bets in the market. Either trade on fundamentals or yields and enjoy the ride or go to fixed income.

If anything, things will get worse. I'm very disturbed by the media trend of using DJI performance as a referendum on political policy. I think it encourages government intervention that will only distort the market further.

IMO, stock prices are the Wizard of Oz, and HFT is the man behind the curtain. Too many people are freaking out about the volatility of the past couple weeks. Ask yourself: is any of it real?
Priced in gold the Dow didn't recover from the 1999 peak. What we are having is inflation in assets that is keeping the price steady as we lose value in the stocks. If we were to have a higher true inflation rate we could be having full employment.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:26 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,582,247 times
Politics.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:15 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
Sure there is a ton of noise and the money attracted a whole lot of unwanted characters, but Wall Street is still the best source of capital for larger operations. And the funding that comes off the street is greasing a lot of the liquidity down the food chain. National banks were supposed to support the economy and keep it running, when they went Wall Street it became a mess.

I am not a big fan of regulation, but getting the big banks out of the investment cycle would be a very needed and welcomed change.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:21 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
i agree about getting the banks out of investment, although i think the barn door is open and the horse has left.

what happened to the honest investment vehicle that was the IDEA behind wall street?

we have buffett and gates betting against the dollar, which they have been doing for years, and they have plenty of money to do it with:

Warren Buffett, Bill Gates betting billions against the greenback - Business -

Sydney Morning Herald - Business & World News Australia | smh.com.au

i would like any wall street supporter to tell me how THAT is beneficial to america. they are using american capital to bet against america's currency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing