Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2011, 05:51 PM

220 posts, read 475,846 times

Advertisements

hi all,

I'd like to learn how to pick my own stocks now. can you guys recommend any good books on the subject/

I already have books by Fisher/grahm as well as a Random Walk down walk Street.

Those are ok. Any others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 05:55 PM

5,484 posts, read 6,328,384 times
People will say that they're dated, but I still love Petewr Lynchs two books, One Up On Wall Street and Beating The Street. The stocks he discusses are dated for sure, but the principles are still excellent for a beginning investor.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:10 PM

220 posts, read 475,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
People will say that they're dated, but I still love Petewr Lynchs two books, One Up On Wall Street and Beating The Street. The stocks he discusses are dated for sure, but the principles are still excellent for a beginning investor.

Ok, I read those waaay back in the 90's.

how about books by O'neal/founder of IBD?

Old 10-06-2011, 09:01 PM

3,803 posts, read 5,343,507 times
There is another thread with the same exact topic. The Future for Investors by Jeremy Siegel is one of the few books that I would recommend for beginning, intermediate, and advanced investors.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:57 PM

2,411 posts, read 4,463,032 times
Have you gone to Morningstar and taken the free classes on stocks? They also put out 3 books about stocks, but all the information is available on their website for free.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:10 AM

454 posts, read 1,243,331 times
read anything by buffet and Graham. Also read up on books related to value investing. Over the long-term value investing is the way to go.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:25 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,826,766 times
I like to watch CNBC and Cramer and of course the Internet.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:45 PM

3,803 posts, read 5,343,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a34dadsf View Post
read anything by buffet and Graham. Also read up on books related to value investing. Over the long-term value investing is the way to go.
Buffet? Yes, he is a Folk Hero these days, but who can invest like him?

How many people own an insurance company so that they can invest the 'float'?
How many people will get preferred share offerings like he does?
How many people get multiple telephone calls every day inviting them to invest in closely-held companies?

Didn't think so.

For us small guys (and gals), buying and holding good, dividend-paying stocks in solid industries is the best way to go. Certainly, Buffet and Graham books explain the 'value investing' principle, but Buffet himself doesn't believe in paying dividends so I wouldn't listen to him on dividend investing.

My understanding of Buffet's 'style' (other than the above mentioned advantages) is that he mostly pays attention to the book value of companies. And, his investment holding company has seen an increase in book value year-by-year although it hasn't done so well of late. The catch with that is that you only realise the gain once you sell. There are no intermediate payments (dividends) along the way. Intermediate payments give the shareholder the option of reinvesting in that particular company, or taking the cash and using it elsewhere. As has been shown by recent history, not all reinvestments of profits in companies has been for shareholder benefit; e.g., corporate executive raises, corporate jets, risky bets on CDOs, and etc.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:04 AM

15 posts, read 14,573 times
please try penny stock trading...............it may be give u so benefit.................

Old 10-24-2011, 10:04 AM

1,343 posts, read 2,673,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFrayn View Post
please try penny stock trading...............it may be give u so benefit.................
Please don't try this. Value investing over the long term is the best way. I am also stock picking as well and searching for a good book. The Neatest Little Guide to Stock Market investing is very good book and has an systematic approach to picking stocks.

Here are my picks:

AA
WFR
RDN
SD
HUN
YGE or TSL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing