Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 09:05 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,670,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifeman View Post
Here's why I am investing:

Facebook has no competition
The company is profitable
has over 800 mill users, 500 mill which use it every single day.
Social media is in the growth stage. Search Engines like google are maturing.
It's the ultimate referral marketing (thumbs up) as opposed to pay per click.

To me Facebook is like the invention of the wheel. A lot of people are going to be using it. How can I not get in?
How do Facebook make money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 01:41 AM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
Not me. Not buying FB. No way; ever. Never.

FB phase craze is in decline. I am reading more books now, and checking out fewer of those "this is what I'm doing now", "this is what I'm thinking" posts.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:38 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Facebook is the next MySpace

Not dumping my coin in this one.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:14 PM

447 posts, read 742,799 times
Default Facebook

Facebook makes their money through advertising (85%), and the remaining 15% comes from their virtual payment business.... Primarily through their gaming partnership with Zynga

*Facebook grossed 3.7 billion in revenue last year, 1 billion in profit
*The reason myspace is no longer relevant is because Facebook won the race to capture the most marketshare. This took a great deal of capital to win the race (kind of like politics)

Old 03-29-2012, 01:30 PM

674 posts, read 1,155,094 times
I can't wait to jump on FB. I don't think I can get on the IPO but once it's start to trade, I will jump. It's so hard to be poor rest of your life... :-)

so many guys said the same thing about Google when Google came to IPO back in 2004 or 2005. not sure the exact year. I took their advice and I didn't buy. now Google is close to $700.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:04 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
I won't buy it right away, but maybe eventually.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:34 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc View Post
I can't wait to jump on FB. I don't think I can get on the IPO but once it's start to trade, I will jump. It's so hard to be poor rest of your life... :-)

so many guys said the same thing about Google when Google came to IPO back in 2004 or 2005. not sure the exact year. I took their advice and I didn't buy. now Google is close to $700.
Well, you see, some of us are investors, and some are gamblers. Both sets end up in the same discussion threads unfortunately.

So, how were you going to make money on Google stock? Buy low; sell high? That only works if you sell. And timing a sale is probably a lot harder than timing a buy. Hindsight is 20/20, but not foresight.

Me? I like companies that do real business and pay out part of their profits as dividends to us shareholders. With this proven investment strategy, I have increased my network ~25% annually for the past 16 years, some of it through investment gains and some from additional savings. And the good part is that I don't have to be prescient on when to sell.

Google is an advertisment agency. I have never bought one of those since they follow fads, and I don't. And FaceBook has become a joke. Google will eventually eat FB's lunch, so if you need to advertise in fads, go with Google.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:53 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
I get it!

The DD (Due Diligence) for some is based on what all those "friends" think.

Due diligence...
Due Diligence In 10 Easy Steps

Old 03-30-2012, 09:47 AM

447 posts, read 742,799 times
I'm not sure about Facebook's dividend, but what I do know is that the owner still retains control of the company after going public. (I believe it's a 57% stake) This is a good thing because he doesn't have to answer to whiney shareholders who think they know how to run a company.

Social Media (unfortunatley) is NOT a fad. I too am an old timer, and don't waste a lot of time on Facebook....but think about what you and I are doing right now?...we are socially communicating on a forum. Sharing opinions, ideas, etc, maybe even recommending a company/restaurant. By the way my favorite local restaurant is 4 sisters in Merrifield, VA. Great Vietnamese Cuisine! Do you understand how this is valuable to a marketer?

One other note: All of the accredited investors/employess of facebook cannot sell their pre IPO Facebook shares until holding the stock for at least 6 months.
This takes away from the gambling aspect of wild swings on opening day.

I look at Facebook as an investment in our future. Right or Wrong It's a large part of how we interact as human beings. It's like the invention of the wheel, how can you not get in? A lot of people will be using it.

Of course you never want to put all your eggs in one basket, but certainly Facebook deserves at least one egg.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:35 AM

14,450 posts, read 20,630,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc View Post

Today will be Google's LAST earnings report before the Facebook IPO around May 17-24th.
I doubt my broker gets any Facebook. If they do, I'll request 200 shares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing