Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 09:14 AM

674 posts, read 1,155,631 times

Advertisements

Obama trounces Welch's job record - The Term Sheet: Fortune's deals blog Term Sheet

I know from day one, Fed knows how to cook the books. I think every thing will come to end after the election? Your thoughts?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 10:43 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
This should be in the politics forum. The way I see it, you either believe all the numbers released or you don't believe all the numbers released. Instead, many Republicans live in an alternate universe where when job numbers are bad they pounce on the president and when job numbers are good its of course lies.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:41 PM

795 posts, read 1,391,724 times
The Fed has nothing to gain from cooking the books. It also has a Board of Governors, so Ben doesn't call all the shots. The report is most likely just a statistical outlier. Find something better to worry about.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:36 AM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times
no one knows what the real numbers are. people are working off the books in mass as well as milking the unemployment system.

we are hiring and i have had sooooooo many people tell me they want 20 bucks an hour for warehouse work as thats the equal to their unemployment and the money they get working at the local deli off he books.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:10 AM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
no one knows what the real numbers are. people are working off the books in mass as well as milking the unemployment system.

we are hiring and i have had sooooooo many people tell me they want 20 bucks an hour for warehouse work as thats the equal to their unemployment and the money they get working at the local deli off he books.
I don't think anyone is getting the equivalent of $20 off UI... But at any rate, the wage structure in this country has most certainly taken a dive for your average worker. It's to be expected that this adjustment will take time, but I do think people en mass are getting the message... Nobody is getting $20/hr just for showing up anymore. Ya gotta be able to produce $20/hr worth of work.

Now, if taxes were less of a burden, and perhaps wages on the lower end were a tad bit higher, I do believe the economy as a whole would be considerably more stable. When Americans can not afford to spend, it's very difficult to naturally stimulate the economy. JMHO.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:36 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

we are hiring and i have had sooooooo many people tell me they want 20 bucks an hour for warehouse work as thats the equal to their unemployment AND the money they get working at the local deli off he books.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I don't think anyone is getting the equivalent of $20 off UI... But at any rate, the wage structure in this country has most certainly taken a dive for your average worker. It's to be expected that this adjustment will take time, but I do think people en mass are getting the message... Nobody is getting $20/hr just for showing up anymore. Ya gotta be able to produce $20/hr worth of work.

Now, if taxes were less of a burden, and perhaps wages on the lower end were a tad bit higher, I do believe the economy as a whole would be considerably more stable. When Americans can not afford to spend, it's very difficult to naturally stimulate the economy. JMHO.
It's a combination of untaxed income from the job at the deli and taxable income on UI.

If the warehouse job is paying $15/hr, there would be little incentive to give up unemployment insurance an off-the-books job at the deli.

$15/hr x 40 hours per week = $600
$600 gross - $34 FICA (5.65%) - $65 Income tax(single) = $501 After Taxes
1040 Tax Calculator

$430/wk UI - $43 Income Tax = $387 After Taxes
UI is not subject to payroll taxes, so no FICA is deducted.

$501 - $387 = $114 (difference between UI and warehouse job)
$114/40 hours = $2.85/hr (difference divided by 40 hours)

A deli worker(off the books) would only need to make $2.85/hr from base salary and tips to match a $15/hr warehouse job. If the deli worker is collecting $7(base + tips)/hr, they would be doing better at his warehouse. They would need about $20/hr to come out ahead at the warehouse.

Last edited by move4ward; 10-14-2012 at 03:59 PM..

Old 10-14-2012, 03:57 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,784,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc View Post
Obama trounces Welch's job record - The Term Sheet: Fortune's deals blog Term Sheet

I know from day one, Fed knows how to cook the books. I think every thing will come to end after the election? Your thoughts?

Thanks.
What does the Federal Reserve have to do with the BLS labor statistics? Why did you say Ben Bernanke is cooking the numbers?

Old 10-15-2012, 03:59 AM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
It's a combination of untaxed income from the job at the deli and taxable income on UI.

If the warehouse job is paying $15/hr, there would be little incentive to give up unemployment insurance an off-the-books job at the deli.

$15/hr x 40 hours per week = $600
$600 gross - $34 FICA (5.65%) - $65 Income tax(single) = $501 After Taxes
1040 Tax Calculator

$430/wk UI - $43 Income Tax = $387 After Taxes
UI is not subject to payroll taxes, so no FICA is deducted.

$501 - $387 = $114 (difference between UI and warehouse job)
$114/40 hours = $2.85/hr (difference divided by 40 hours)

A deli worker(off the books) would only need to make $2.85/hr from base salary and tips to match a $15/hr warehouse job. If the deli worker is collecting $7(base + tips)/hr, they would be doing better at his warehouse. They would need about $20/hr to come out ahead at the warehouse.
exactly what we are seeing. the combo of un-employment and an off the books menial job takes alot of on the books income to match. so they turn us down to milk the system instead.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:20 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,631,472 times
I was on unemployment for 2 years during the recession and had no incentive to work, I saved up money and put it in the market. It's sad that the stock market has become one of the few alternatives to hedge inflation. I don't necessarily think job numbers are cooked, but I know they're polished and very deceiving. Unfortunately I don't think the current administration shows any accountability what-so-ever. At the end of the day though you just have to learn to play the market, which isn't a reflection of the overall economy. I hate Monsanto, Goog, AAPL etc but I play them. Oneday they'll go bust but until then there's lots of money to be made.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:47 AM

998 posts, read 1,215,530 times
Dick Cheney said to Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill: "You know, Paul, Reagan proved that deficits don't matter. We won the mid-term elections, this is our due."

Japan has also proven that deficits don't matter.

Cheney Was Right About One Thing: Deficits Don't Matter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing