Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2012, 06:05 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,630,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Romney was not my perfect candidate, however honestly, in my opinion, I think he would've been the better person to lead us out of this mess than Obama. I just don't see growth coming anytime soon. Maybe I'll be wrong, but what policies does anyone see coming that are going to drive growth??

You don't have to like the president or think he's a nice guy, you need the person who's going to be an effective leader.

I just think we are a society that will take, take, take if its given to them...
I agree. Romney may have more skills in running an economy. Obama, up until now, has shown zero skills other than bailing Wall Street out to the tune of trillions of dollars. Maybe Obama will grow in his second term maybe not. Geithner is leaving which is a positive.

Unfortunately, for Romney he got tangled up with all sorts of religious/social right politics (self-deportation, 47% of the people are on the dole, abortion), that just scared the heck out of everyone. Hopefully a lesson learned by the Republicans. I believe Jeb Bush knows how to govern but he is burdened by the legacy of this nit-wit brother and the zealots who not only got us involved in the Iraq War but also brought upon us the greatest Recession since the 1930s. That is lots of baggage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeKrewe View Post
To further expand on this point of how Wallstreet operates, they do the same thing to successful businesses. Mitt Romney's Bain Capital would go around finding businesses who had a lot of equity built up & good credit. He would then barrow money from his investors to buy controlling interest in the company. Then he would take the newly acquired companies equity & pensions to pay back his shareholders. Then he would use the newly acquired companies credit to barrow as much as possible & pay his company, himself & his investors fat dividends. Now this newly acquired company has no pension funds & huge debt load. Their workers will pay the price & many wind up on the government dole as the 47% takers Romney doesn't care for since he put them there in the first place.

After raping these companies & increasing the takers burden on the government Romney believes he should not have to pay taxes on this money he plundered & hides it off shore or treats it as carried interest so he pays half the tax rate we have to pay. Massachusetts did not re-elect Romney as governor & did not vote for him as president. That should tell you a lot right there. Then lets look at what happened when his father George Romney ran HUD. Corrupt bankers like Romney can use GSE's to cause a financial crisis by themselves & have done so in the past. Just look at The House That George Romney Built
Agreed!

Old 11-10-2012, 06:22 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,993 times
> After raping these companies & increasing the takers burden on the government Romney believes he should not have to pay taxes on this money he plundered & hides it off shore or treats it as carried interest so he pays half the tax rate we have to pay.

He didn't make the rules on carried interest taxes, and you if you had a brain would have acted the same way running these companies if you had the opportunity to run Bain.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
> After raping these companies & increasing the takers burden on the government Romney believes he should not have to pay taxes on this money he plundered & hides it off shore or treats it as carried interest so he pays half the tax rate we have to pay.

He didn't make the rules on carried interest taxes, and you if you had a brain would have acted the same way running these companies if you had the opportunity to run Bain.
In fact Bain was very much part of making the rules and they and other venture capital companies pay a lot to lobby to make it. When you consider the return on investment (an easy billion dollars) it is well worth the investment. Of course, everyone else has to pay for it in higher debts. Romney feigns innocence, but he and other uber-rich are the ones who put us in this debt mess by changing the tax rules in their favor (we were balanced under Clinton) and leaving the mess for others to figure out. While I doubt it happens, I hope the rules are reverted to a time it was much fairer.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:30 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,993 times
Tell me why it's fair for the middle class to get tax rates below those of Clinton while the left screams that the economy did fine in the Clinton years with Clinton's tax rates.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
Tell me why it's fair for the middle class to get tax rates below those of Clinton while the left screams that the economy did fine in the Clinton years with Clinton's tax rates.
The problem has nothing to do with tax rates. It has to do with how the banks in concert with the Federal Reserve accomplished a major shift of wealth to the top 1% (themselves). While this major and connived shift cannot be undone, it can be partially reversed by undoing some of the damage done by the Bush tax cuts. Basically, in the last 20 years the ultra-rich have been able to shift wealth into their hands by getting their representatives elected (none of the so-called Republican conservatives were/are really serious about hands-off government) and then changing the financial laws to their favor.

The whole stock market levitation has been accomplished with the Federal Government printing money for the ultra-rich to the detriment of the 99%. The Federal Reserve is composed of bankers who work in favor of their own.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:54 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,745,785 times
Why don't you people get that at $250K a year they are not the bankers (1%) but you blindly cheer Obama on as he plunders these small companies.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Why don't you people get that at $250K a year they are not the bankers (1%) but you blindly cheer Obama on as he plunders these small companies.
The only ones plundering small businesses is the Federal Reserve (Republicans and Democrats) who are giving hundreds of billions of dollars in 0% interest loans to large banks and their clients and living small businesses with 8% loans (if they can even get them) put small businesses in a position that makes it impossible for them to compete.

What's more, the large corporations are taking that free money and using it to build plants overseas emaciating jobs in the U.S. All of this is totally supported by Democrats and Republicans alike save a few such as Ron Paul and Bernie Sanders who are the only vocal opponents that I have heard speak out in support.

Being distracted by small stuff like religious/social agendas or whether or not someone who is making $250,000 will miss an extra 4% (ridiculous) is just what the politicians want as they walk away with hundreds of trillions of dollars as they did with the Wall Street bailout.

Observe what is actually happening as opposed to some theoretical, non-existent problem.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:32 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,670,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I give him credit for tryimg to improve the systrm however when you add millions of people, theres going to be either less care for existing and premiums will go up for others. My company has already made it clear its going to happen for 2014.

I also think the healthcare system has to get away from being tied to employers. If there was true choice you could shop for the lowest cost best value...we don't have that. That's the problem..don't know if we'll ever have true choice.
Agreed. If the Republican Party truly believed in market based competition they would be pushing this type of reform.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:45 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,670,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
I agree. Romney may have more skills in running an economy. Obama, up until now, has shown zero skills other than bailing Wall Street out to the tune of trillions of dollars. Maybe Obama will grow in his second term maybe not. Geithner is leaving which is a positive.

Unfortunately, for Romney he got tangled up with all sorts of religious/social right politics (self-deportation, 47% of the people are on the dole, abortion), that just scared the heck out of everyone. Hopefully a lesson learned by the Republicans. I believe Jeb Bush knows how to govern but he is burdened by the legacy of this nit-wit brother and the zealots who not only got us involved in the Iraq War but also brought upon us the greatest Recession since the 1930s. That is lots of baggage.
I kept looking for signs of his skills in running an economy and they never appeared. Experience as a corporate raider requires different skills than the ones necessary for running an economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing