Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 02:14 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,618,785 times

Advertisements

I am looking for ways to invest so that my investment can generate steady income - I'd prefer a passive one to an active investment. What would be the options there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 04:15 PM

9,428 posts, read 14,382,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I am looking for ways to invest so that my investment can generate steady income - I'd prefer a passive one to an active investment. What would be the options there?
The usual mix is bonds, REITs, MLPs (also available in the form of dividends rather than partnership distributions), dividend-paying stocks, and preferred shares. There are also alternatives.

You can diversify to any level of detail across and within each of these typical categories. You can do it through any combination of individual issues, mutual funds, sector ETFs, and ETNs (MLPs).

You may be able to find catch-all mutual funds that will include both bonds and income-producing equities (Fidelity and Franklin come to mind, there are others, maybe Wellington), not too sure about finding also MLPs and REITs in the same fund. But you could conceivably cover all these bases in 3-4 funds, but as many as 8 or 10 or even 25.

You need to determine your gross amount, expected return, level of tolerable risk, time horizon, and allocation.

Good Luck!

Old 06-23-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
The usual mix is bonds, REITs, MLPs (also available in the form of dividends rather than partnership distributions), dividend-paying stocks, and preferred shares. There are also alternatives.

You can diversify to any level of detail across and within each of these typical categories. You can do it through any combination of individual issues, mutual funds, sector ETFs, and ETNs (MLPs).

You may be able to find catch-all mutual funds that will include both bonds and income-producing equities (Fidelity and Franklin come to mind, there are others, maybe Wellington), not too sure about finding also MLPs and REITs in the same fund. But you could conceivably cover all these bases in 3-4 funds, but as many as 8 or 10 or even 25.

You need to determine your gross amount, expected return, level of tolerable risk, time horizon, and allocation.

Good Luck!
Would an average of 5% return too much to ask?

Old 06-23-2014, 04:23 PM

107,121 posts, read 109,484,448 times
good luck! depends on inflation. many top researchers think even 2-3% real return may be tough to get going forward with stock valuations this high and interest rates so low

Old 06-23-2014, 04:52 PM

9,428 posts, read 14,382,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Would an average of 5% return too much to ask?
I can answer 5% nominal yield (income only, not changes in asset price), while I could only venture a guess in terms of total return (income + changes in asset price) and real return (income + changes in asset price - inflation) and capital risk.

In terms of nominal yield, 5% average is not too much to ask. You could achieve it with a handful of dividend stocks, including T, high-yield bonds, REITs, and a few MLPs.

You could find quite a few high yield bond funds and/or strategic income funds (typically bonds, including emerging market + preferred equities) with nominal 5% yields or higher (see Franklin, Fidelity, and the like).

You would probably have to form your own basket of individual 4%-5% dividend-yielding stocks.

You would have to form your own basket of REITs.

As for MLPs, try the ETNs AMJ and AMLP for an average nominal yield of around 5%, issuing 1099s instead of K-1s, in case you value tax simplicity over some extra yield but with tax complications.

Again, these are nominal yields only. Please do your own due diligence, especially in terms of all risks, including market risk, interest rate risk, credit risk, management company risk, taxes, inflation, etc.

Good Luck!

Old 06-23-2014, 05:23 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,256,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
good luck! depends on inflation. many top researchers think even 2-3% real return may be tough to get going forward with stock valuations this high and interest rates so low
Then what do you recommend? Actively investing in real estate income property/properties? My goal is to generate wealth.

Stock valuations are much lower in non U.S. markets.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:31 PM

To be honest I can't think of any asset class today that isn't at full value. That makes anything out there a higher risk today.
Personally I invest for total return with a mix of assets.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:54 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,256,770 times
Quote:
To be honest I can't think of any asset class today that isn't at full value. That makes anything out there a higher risk today.
Personally I invest for total return with a mix of assets.
What are you currently invested in?

Old 06-23-2014, 06:45 PM

equities ,bond funds and income funds but i am also starting to phase myself out at work for retirement so my model runs about 40% equities right now..

Old 06-24-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
equities ,bond funds and income funds but i am also starting to phase myself out at work for retirement so my model runs about 40% equities right now..
Would it be possible for you to show share your portfolio?

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 06-24-2014 at 07:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing