Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 02:48 PM

27,572 posts, read 28,673,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
If you consider outperforming a majority of investors using low cost tax efficient Vanguard funds "a failure" and being "a sheep in a herd", then you really don't understand what investing is all about. But, if you want to continue to roll the dice and put ego over using your head by advocating risky stock picking and daytrading, then keep doing what you are doing....

You can make all the excuses you want till the cows come home for your terrible predictions on Apple (predicting that it will hit $1000/share), but unfortunately that will happen to most people who stock pick individual stocks or think they have some kind of predictive abilities...

Your post from 8/20/2012 --> I've been saying it most of this year AAPL will hit $1000 around April 2013. My April call options have been exploding the past few days.

Apple going to hit 1K soon......

You and many others like Samnyc, ChiGuy2.5, hammelr, irishbob, on that Apple thread from 2012 were dead wrong and bought into the mania and gave ZERO warning to new posters about following advice from people who are guessing like you are....that's my goal, to warn new posters on here on how lousy you and others predictive abilities are...
I don't think anybody can predict what the price of a particular stock will be on a certain date in the future. That level of accuracy is not possible based on anything I know about the stock markets.

However, it is possible to predict the general direction that a stock will likely go over a period of time. And it is easier to do this with stock indexes than it is with individual stocks since they are more volatile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 03:42 PM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
If you consider outperforming a majority of investors using low cost tax efficient Vanguard funds "a failure" and being "a sheep in a herd", then you really don't understand what investing is all about. But, if you want to continue to roll the dice and put ego over using your head by advocating risky stock picking and daytrading, then keep doing what you are doing....

You can make all the excuses you want till the cows come home for your terrible predictions on Apple (predicting that it will hit $1000/share), but unfortunately that will happen to most people who stock pick individual stocks or think they have some kind of predictive abilities...

Your post from 8/20/2012 --> I've been saying it most of this year AAPL will hit $1000 around April 2013. My April call options have been exploding the past few days.

Apple going to hit 1K soon......

You and many others like Samnyc, ChiGuy2.5, hammelr, irishbob, on that Apple thread from 2012 were dead wrong and bought into the mania and gave ZERO warning to new posters about following advice from people who are guessing like you are....that's my goal, to warn new posters on here on how lousy you and others predictive abilities are...
1) I have never recommended day trading to new investors. You once again fail to realize that investing in individual stocks is different from day trading. You have no idea what everything is in your index, what price did they initiate them, what price they decide to sell etc, you have no say. You are just a sheep among a large herd. I don't know how long you have been investing, but market crashes have proved index funds etc are not protected. In fact, I PERSONALLY find them to be more dangerous.

2) My "roll of the dice" has given me enormous returns for the past 10 years. It is impossible to guess exactly what price a stock will go, but you can with research and logic determine, which direction it will be headed. I use price points as a way to determine when I will do another full, really in-depth analysis to see whether I think the trend will continue or not.

3) Terrible predications, huh? This is what I find funny with people like you. I am sure you've been saying this about AAPL when it was 20, then 50, then 100, then 150, then 200, then 400, then 500, then 600, then 700 and finally after a 3,400% return you finally guessed right and from its high it has gone down a MASSIVE... 34%. You were right that the end of the world happened with AAPL.

4) Eventually, every stock will change trends. That is why people can't get emotionally attached to a stock. That is why people need to do research their stock daily. For me, it was all about the Q1 2013 earnings. Their earnings wasn't a blow out even though they released the iPhone 5 and entered China and since there were no new revolutionary products announced, it was time to hang my hat on AAPL. It made me and others a ton of money, much more than any index could have ever dreamed.

5) Your girl friend or wife must be very annoyed with you if you are this dense with her too. If you think individual stock investors just randomly pick a stock by saying, "ee nee mee nee... catch a tiger by his toe... etc" than you really should NEVER manage your own money. You should continue to put your trust in someone else to do it for you. I went from a couple grand to now OVER two hundred thousand in a little less than 10 years with very little of that being from additional deposits. A new investor should never think they can see these kinds of gains, but it is possible and if I was correct 100% of the time (which I'm not and is impossible) my balance would be over a million by now. So, I'm not saying oh yeah, I'm perfect. I've made tons of mistakes, but I learned from them, which has added to my success in the market. Like I said before, index funds etc are good for people who don't have much time, don't want to learn, don't want to stress themselves out especially if they are emotional etc. However, you will never make the kinds of returns as I have with index funds.

Once again, I am writing this because there might be new investors reading our conservation. I am not trying to open your mind because I know that would be impossible.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:17 PM

651 posts, read 863,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icicles View Post
Alright guys, here is some technical analysis. I took some professional trading classes. I trade using toby crable's range contraction methods which works well. This is what I am seeing in the chart. Aaple stock of course.

Chart 1 is showing Aaple broke its downtrend. This is significant and requires a deeper look into its chart more closely.

This is the second chart. You can see that bullish price action is occuring signaling a likely new uptrend but hasn't broke the 1st break out price to confirm a new uptrend.

you can see positive range contraction a few times in the chart which is bullish. Positive range contraction is when a stock moves up strongly in few days and pulls back within the big move in small little days, but the big move up is a larger move up than the small moves down. This is common when seeing a stock move up or down, just flip it upside down.

I see a bullish piercing and bullish engulfings in the chart signaling bullish moves ahead. This is why I purchased the stock.

~icicles

Damn I am good

Old 01-11-2014, 08:20 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
Quote:
Damn I am good
Oh, so you finally made a prediction that came true? I didn't even read what you responded to, so I'm guessing you did..lol

That's what I love about this website. People are so quick to boast about the few winners they make, but never boast about all the losses and failed predictions..

They just ignore it and start a new thread for predictions...

Old 01-11-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Oh, so you finally made a prediction that came true? I didn't even read what you responded to, so I'm guessing you did..lol

That's what I love about this website. People are so quick to boast about the few winners they make, but never boast about all the losses and failed predictions..

They just ignore it and start a new thread for predictions...
I have made a ton of money off stuff recently, just not this one.

I like exk, slw, ag right now and like gold/silver, but it's not out of the clear yet.

I am getting more bearish on stocks. valuations are dot.com bubble for some stocks (FB, TSLA, TWTR), but there are still some value plays around. emerging markets.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:52 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
Quote:
I have made a ton of money off stuff recently, just not this one.
right, got it....just like every other trader/speculator on here, we only here people say "I have made a bunch of money, blah, blah, blah", but we never see the majority of the trades BEFORE they happen, and the traders never admit their losses.....All we see time and time again are predictions that might or not not come true...

The only way the people on here will know for sure if you are telling the truth is to be transparent and advise all your trades which you're not going to do.....

I'll offer a challenge to the short term traders/speculators on here. Lay it all out on the line and lets see some consistent proof for once with you guys....

Old 01-12-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
right, got it....just like every other trader/speculator on here, we only here people say "I have made a bunch of money, blah, blah, blah", but we never see the majority of the trades BEFORE they happen, and the traders never admit their losses.....All we see time and time again are predictions that might or not not come true...

The only way the people on here will know for sure if you are telling the truth is to be transparent and advise all your trades which you're not going to do.....

I'll offer a challenge to the short term traders/speculators on here. Lay it all out on the line and lets see some consistent proof for once with you guys....
Here is when I purchased the stock.
Attached Thumbnails
Apple - what you would do if you have it?-aapl-trade.jpg  

Old 01-12-2014, 08:01 PM

Wrong thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing