Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 08:16 AM

169 posts, read 193,704 times

Advertisements

Three of the best names in the business are Jim Rickards, Jim Rogers, and Charles Nenner. Nenner is more of a technical analyst, but is pretty good overall. Jim Rickards is the author of Currency Wars. And Jim Rogers of course needs no introduction at all.

All three have had interesting gold/silver commentary as of late. Nenner was forecasting a bottoming out in gold/silver prices by mid-late June, Rogers was predicting the big pullback in gold and now is buying more, and Rickards is very bullish on gold. Keep in mind they are talking about the physical metal, not paper GLD or SLV. Something else to note, Nenner does a lot of cyclical forecasting, and he is showing a major war in the next couple of years, and DOW 5000 by 2017-2018. Not saying it is going to happen exactly this way, but Nenner has had some great calls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 10:52 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box101 View Post
but Nenner has had some great calls.
and he's had some awful calls...

I really don't understand your point of this post. Are you implying that these guys have predictive ability that some of the lurkers on this site should follow?

Forecasters are a dime a dozen.

No one can predict the markets w/great accuracy over the long term. And if one of the few who do have the 'ability', you can't buy their past performance...(see Bill Gross). And we don't know who of the rare few forecasters who get it right for the next 20 years....

Anyone who tells you different is either 1. Ignorant 2. Naive 3. or Lying to your face...

Which camp do you fall into?

Last edited by CouponJack; 06-26-2013 at 11:31 AM..

Old 06-26-2013, 01:33 PM

651 posts, read 862,718 times
Its not them being able to predict. Its them being able to look at history and invest accordingly because this time isn't different.

the bull market is in commodities and gold and silver. Not stocks, not bonds, not real estate. those are done for....for maybe another 5-10 yrs.

When the time comes, stocks will be in favor.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicles View Post
Its not them being able to predict. Its them being able to look at history and invest accordingly because this time isn't different.

the bull market is in commodities and gold and silver. Not stocks, not bonds, not real estate. those are done for....for maybe another 5-10 yrs.

When the time comes, stocks will be in favor.
of COURSE its about finding the forecaster that wears the same "jersey" as you do!

In this case, these guys are bullish on commodities, so of course they are smarter than everyone else...

You guys kill me....

Old 06-26-2013, 02:03 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,384 times
I'm a big Jim Rogers fan.

-He started a commodity fund in 1998!! Pretty unpopular at the time. Do you know what was popular in 1998? Internet stocks, Nasdaq, S&P, stocks in general.

Look at the returns since then. I think his fund is up 300-320% since then. The S&P has been flat to marginal. Nasdaq is up 50-60%, but gold, oil, are up 100's of percent.

He's also been bullish on China for years. Negative on the dollar. He was short fannie mae and the financials in 08.

He's not perfect, but in general, he's miles ahead of your typical CNBC talking head. He thinks in very long 10-20 year cycles.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:25 PM

Again, do you want the stinkers from this guy? I could list them.....

Pick anyone you want. Like I said, most of them are glorified talking heads...

Old 06-26-2013, 02:49 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,384 times
One reason why I've followed Jim more than most commentators....he's not a perma bull attached to any one asset class. I think it gives him better perspective than most.

If you just listen to the gold guys, their cases can get pretty extreme. I.e. various conspiracy theories. And more esoteric arguements. It's like they are attached to the hip to gold (or silver).

I've seen Jim interviewed for years about gold. He's been more objective than 70% of them. I.e. no conspiracies. He expected gold to go down (it had been up for so many years in a row).

I think he gives you a good starting point for global macro direction. I would not follow him blindly. When he says he's short technology stocks?? Or JP Morgan or something?? That makes alarm bells go off.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:55 PM

651 posts, read 862,718 times
I like Jim Rickards.

Jim Rickards on the Global Economy (The Business, 25 June 2013) - YouTube

Old 06-26-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
and he's had some awful calls...

I really don't understand your point of this post. Are you implying that these guys have predictive ability that some of the lurkers on this site should follow?

Forecasters are a dime a dozen.

No one can predict the markets w/great accuracy over the long term. And if one of the few who do have the 'ability', you can't buy their past performance...(see Bill Gross). And we don't know who of the rare few forecasters who get it right for the next 20 years....

Anyone who tells you different is either 1. Ignorant 2. Naive 3. or Lying to your face...

Which camp do you fall into?
CouponJack, these are three of the best in the game. Not saying they are always correct 100% of the time, but they are good. I would be interested to see your investing record over the long term. Based on your past posts you say you like to "diversify", but if you are such a savvy investor why would you have 30-50% of your portfolio locked up in US stocks during a time period like 2008-2009? What are you going to do when US stocks and bonds take a big hit together within the next few years?

Old 06-26-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Again, do you want the stinkers from this guy? I could list them.....

Pick anyone you want. Like I said, most of them are glorified talking heads...
Let's hear your short-term forecast and 3-5 year outlook, CouponJack. You seem to have all of the answers. That way we can compare your forecast with theirs and see who is more accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing