Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2013, 10:30 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times

Advertisements

Is P/E ratio the best thing to look at when deciding whether to invest or disinvest in the market? Right now the S&P 500 P/E ratio looks to be about average or slightly above

http://www.multpl.com/chart-image-c764b525f56b64d7.png
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 11:52 AM

651 posts, read 862,940 times
Good question.

There are multiple things to look at when valuing the dow.

P/E, dividend yields, dow to gold ratio. All signal the dow is overpriced.

the current ratio is at 11.68 dow to gold ratio which is overpriced IMO.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:46 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Is P/E ratio the best thing to look at when deciding whether to invest or disinvest in the market? Right now the S&P 500 P/E ratio looks to be about average or slightly above

http://www.multpl.com/chart-image-c764b525f56b64d7.png
This chart appears to indicate an "overpriced" P/E ratio around 1991-92. Yet, the S&P 500 continued to go higher and is currently 300%+ above the level it was in 1991-92.

So, I can't say the chart has much predictive value to me.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:07 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
It's not that simple but it's one of the major factors in making a judgement whether the market is overvalued.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:41 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Is P/E ratio the best thing to look at when deciding whether to invest or disinvest in the market? Right now the S&P 500 P/E ratio looks to be about average or slightly above............
Looks that way, doesn't it?

And if you are buying the whole market by buying an ETF or something, then that would be good to know.

But what if you are buying individual stocks, and you don't expect the market to go down? That's true in my case, so P/E - To ME! - is not as important as PEG.
PE to Gain is calculated by taking the PE ratio (say, 10) and dividing it by the projected gain (say, 20% per year). In this case you would get a PEG of .5, which is pretty good. A PEG of 1 means the PE is equal to growth.
PEG plus a bunch of other things is a good way to judge individual stocks.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:50 PM

651 posts, read 862,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Looks that way, doesn't it?

And if you are buying the whole market by buying an ETF or something, then that would be good to know.

But what if you are buying individual stocks, and you don't expect the market to go down? That's true in my case, so P/E - To ME! - is not as important as PEG.
PE to Gain is calculated by taking the PE ratio (say, 10) and dividing it by the projected gain (say, 20% per year). In this case you would get a PEG of .5, which is pretty good. A PEG of 1 means the PE is equal to growth.
PEG plus a bunch of other things is a good way to judge individual stocks.

PEG is P/E to growth. But growth is an estimate.

Books typically say to buy PEG ratio's below a certain amount. I have seen PEG ratio's at .1 or .5 and below and those stocks have performed horribly over time.

Same with companies who have had unfavorable PEG's of say like 2.5+ but have performed very well.

I still think that the MOAT of the company and technical analysis is where you need to be. I bought Chipotle just after it's IPO around $50/share and the P/E and PEG ratio weren't great, but that stock now trades over $400/share. I also purchase a lot of Visa right after it's IPO and when it traded down, I just kept buying. now its way up.

I think the companies moat and marketing power (monster energy drinks) has more value than any type of value investing analysis. My really big winners have almost all been like this. I do have some that are up multi hundreds of percents like ATW when I purchased at $13/share, but I figured deep sea drilling would be good for many years going forward and purchased it. that was more of a value play.

I say go with the obvious choices with positive cash flow and high ROE. When the stock gets hit, buy it and keep buying it. A company that took some balls to purchase like this was UNH, turned out well in the end. WLP was the same. CELG, GILD pulled back hard, up multi hundreds of percents.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:35 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,827,755 times
Book Value too, very important to see if a company is under value. If a company is trading at below book, it means if they sell their assets, it will worth more than the market cap.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:37 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
I would say no.

shillers p/e/10 says we are at fair value. classic p/e says we are just under.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing