Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 07:14 AM

50 posts, read 146,832 times

Advertisements

basic question but i can't figure it out...

i know that, after paying dividends, a company stock price is adjusted down accordingly. i have CAT stock. they just paid dividends. so can someone tell me how it is adjusted from yesterday? i can not be sure how to calculate with all the after hour or premarket prices etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 07:21 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
The stock price is not deliberately adjusted down, in any formulaic way. Rather, the fact that the dividend has been paid means that the stock is actually worth less, and so buyers start offering a lower price.

Think of it this way. On Monday, I offer to sell you a rare collectible box which just happens to also have $Y in it, and the price is $X. On Tuesday, the $Y is gone, so if the $X was a reasonable price on Monday, the reasonable price on Tuesday is going to be $X - $Y.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:39 AM

50 posts, read 146,832 times
ok thanks and i totally understand your logic. so you are saying, there is no official, mandatory adjustment done? so after the dividend payment, it is totally up to the market and investors again to determine the price? somewhere i had read that SEC makes sure the prices are adjusted accordingly. i dont remember what it said exactly but that made me think SEC is making adjustment to it..

Old 08-21-2013, 08:10 AM
bUU

Found a good article on it:

Quote:
Share prices do not adjust downward to reflect the dividend being paid out. To believe that is to make the fundamental error of confusing book value with stock price.
Do Dividend Payouts Reduce Share Prices?

Old 08-21-2013, 09:03 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
The stock price is not deliberately adjusted down, in any formulaic way. Rather, the fact that the dividend has been paid means that the stock is actually worth less, and so buyers start offering a lower price.

Think of it this way. On Monday, I offer to sell you a rare collectible box which just happens to also have $Y in it, and the price is $X. On Tuesday, the $Y is gone, so if the $X was a reasonable price on Monday, the reasonable price on Tuesday is going to be $X - $Y.
not true, actually the offers are automatically reduced by the exchanges computers by the amount of the dividend for the next opening.

exchange rules require the reduction,. below is right from the horses mouth.

FINRA - Rules and Regulations - FINRA Manual Online

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-21-2013 at 09:30 AM..

Old 08-21-2013, 09:13 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,828,140 times
Yes, Dividend Payouts Reduce Share Prices because it's using company's net income to distribute the cash dividends which makes the cash on the balance sheet less attractive.

Usually there are only 3 things the company can do with the net income it generates.

1) Pay dividend.
2) Buy back shares of its stock (Will increase stock price)
3) Re-invest (buy other companies, which generate even more net income in the future)

In order to get good growth, #3 is the best option, but they shouldn't just blindly go out and buy companies, it must add valued to the company.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:50 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
not true, actually the offers are automatically reduced by the exchanges computers by the amount of the dividend for the next opening.

exchange rules require the reduction,. below is right from the horses mouth.

FINRA - Rules and Regulations - FINRA Manual Online
That affects open orders only. It doesn't affect share price for new orders.

Re-read the OP to understand the context of the OP's question.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:39 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
New orders have nothing to do with the dividend mechanics anymore than a mutual fund distribution after the drop .. Once the exchange drops the prices the market takes it from that lower point on a roller coaster ride for the rest of the quarter either up or down from there..

the next payout happens , the drop happens and the markets run with it again.

The opening tone is set each quarter by the mandated drop lowering all orders in the system. once the first order is excuted at that lower price it is the same as any other drop in price and all orders are based around that new lower price until they drift up or down from there.

The only thing being disputed is that the drop is not random or optional as you stated, it is an official , controlled mandated drop carried out by the exchanges no different than a mutual fund..

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-21-2013 at 10:59 AM..

Old 08-21-2013, 11:57 AM

879 posts, read 1,962,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Found a good article on it:

Do Dividend Payouts Reduce Share Prices?
Actually, that's a terrible article. The author is so misguided that he's looking at the declaration date and the payout date rather than the appropriate one, which is the ex-dividend date.

The major U.S. exchanges DO adjust standing orders downward by the amount of the dividend, but that is just one moment in time and, like Mathjak says, whatever happens after that is up to the market.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:11 PM
bUU

"Standing orders" - what does that have to do with the OP's question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing